The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-16-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Another DVD lesson question

A friend has asked me for advice about good DVD lessons for a fingerstyle beginner. I know this has been discussed, but one of the highest recommended folks (and one I personally like)... "Fingerstyle Guitar From the Ground Up Vol. 1" by Buster B. Jones isn't on DVD and the VHS is no longer available (new DVD is supposed out May 2006).

So, what other folks would be good for a complete beginner (there aren't any decent fingerstyle teachers in our area)?

I know that both Stefan Grossman and Fred Sokolow have beginner level stuff, but I haven't used it, although I do have Fred's "Beginner's Blues Guitar' that has both strumming and fingerpickin' and I like it. I also have his "Music of Paul Simon" that's great, but a bit too advanced for a rank beginner.

Any other recommendations? I want to get her something for Christmas.

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:30 AM

www.accentonmusic.com

The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking (think of it as book 1)

The Art of Solo Fingerpicking (think of it as book 2)
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 11-16-2005, 08:04 AM

I should say those are book/CD packs, not DVD's...

the Travis Picking deals with...well...Travis Picking

the Solo Fingerpicking deals ONLY with alternating-bass type solos...which is the natural extension of Travis/alternating-bass accompaniment pattern picking....

the world of general fingerstyle guitar is huge...

many beginners would do well to limit themselves to this one style of playing when they start.....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 11-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalgasp
...Any other recommendations? I want to get her something for Christmas.
Hi CG...
How about giving her a ''coupon'' for some free guitar lessons from you, just to get her up to speed?

It'd be a pretty nice and thoughtful gift.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-16-2005, 09:12 AM

Try this --I've been totally satisfied with Homespun, and Happy Traum's lessons are particularly good and clear.

Hope this helps.
710-L9
Old 11-16-2005, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
Hi CG...
How about giving her a ''coupon'' for some free guitar lessons from you, just to get her up to speed?

It'd be a pretty nice and thoughtful gift.
It's not a bad idea, but I'm a terrible teacher. Don't have the patience or the time right now.

Last edited by classicalgasp; 11-16-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletrees
...the world of general fingerstyle guitar is huge...

many beginners would do well to limit themselves to this one style of playing when they start.....
That is why I wanted to start her on the Buster Jones tape. I don't have it (or I'd just give her mine) but I've seen it and it is a great, easy to understand, beginners lesson. I'm glad to see that they're moving it to DVD, but not having the tape available now presents a problem. oh well.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletrees
I should say those are book/CD packs, not DVD's...

the Travis Picking deals with...well...Travis Picking

the Solo Fingerpicking deals ONLY with alternating-bass type solos...which is the natural extension of Travis/alternating-bass accompaniment pattern picking.....
She has several book/CDs that I've loaned her including Tony Flint's "Complete Fingerstyle Guitar", but she needs some extra visual help that a teacher could give, or a video, since no teacher is available.

Buster's stuff is really good visually, but not available on DVD (she doesn't have a video player) right now. And I don't have the time to really help her when she needs it (on the road too much right now). So DVDs would be of great help. That's why I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or comments on the Stefan Grossman and Fred Sokolow stuff.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylorTay anFay
Try this --I've been totally satisfied with Homespun, and Happy Traum's lessons are particularly good and clear.

Hope this helps.
I like HomeSpun too, but the trouble is that the fingerstyle stuff isn't really for beginner-beginners. It's "Level 2" which means...

"Near Beginner: Instructor assumes that you have not been playing very long, but know the basics. The material is still at a very easy level, but certain elementary things are not explained."

And it's often those "elementary things not explained" that are the very ideas that need explaning! If I could be there to explain them when she runs into the road block it would be ok, but I can't.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicalgasp
I like HomeSpun too, but the trouble is that the fingerstyle stuff isn't really for beginner-beginners. It's "Level 2" which means...

"Near Beginner: Instructor assumes that you have not been playing very long, but know the basics. The material is still at a very easy level, but certain elementary things are not explained."

And it's often those "elementary things not explained" that are the very ideas that need explaning! If I could be there to explain them when she runs into the road block it would be ok, but I can't.
Sorry, I thought she was a beginner to fingerstyle but had played a bit. If she is a new player, or does not play at all yet, how about this one?

It should fit the bill.
710-L9
Old 11-16-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylorTay anFay
Sorry, I thought she was a beginner to fingerstyle but had played a bit. If she is a new player, or does not play at all yet, how about this one?

It should fit the bill.
Thanks, but that's not fingerstyle. That's why I'm trying to find her something like Buster Jones' stuff. It is for total novices and it's totally fingerstyle. I think I'll just order the Grossman and Sokolow stuff and try to take a look at it before I give it to her. It can't hurt and should be a good start for her.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:48 PM

Hey Classicalgasp have it burnt by a friend to a DVD format you did say that you have it on VHS right louis or should read as XXXXX
Old 11-17-2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools
Hey Classicalgasp have it burnt by a friend to a DVD format you did say that you have it on VHS right louis or should read as XXXXX
no, I don't have it, and it's no longer available nor can I find a copy, that's the problem
Old 11-17-2005, 12:35 AM

i have 3 of the homespun dvd's:

the carter family (mike seeger)
ramblin' jack eliot (arlo guthrie)
easy fingerpicking favorites (happy traum)

the first two, though tremendously entertaining, are way, way too difficult for me and i haven't started the 3rd one yet. it most likely is over my head also.

/guy

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion