The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Default Taylor 414CE Grand Auditorium Comparisons

With my 60th birthday around the corner, my wife has offered to buy me a new acoustic/electric guitar. I currently own a Taylor 310CE and I'm looking to upgrade. I've just played a Taylor 414CE Grand Auditorium and love its overall sound but I'm looking to get the biggest bang for my wife's buck. My ceiling is $2,000 and I've been looking at Breedlove, Seagull, Larrivee, Guild, and Martin. Suggestions anyone?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM

It really depends on the sound that you're looking for. Taylors have a much different sound than Martin, for example. To me, Taylors play great, but I don't like the sound. Opinions surely vary.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 AM

I would say 414ce is your best bet...I have an 814ce and to be honest - would say the 414 plays and sounds just as good as the 814. So, if rosewood, inlays, and rosette is no big deal to you...get the 414.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:22 AM

I - and many others - think the 414CE is a fine guitar. You might also consider the 814CE, which is really a stand-out guitar. But yes, it sounds like a Taylor, not a Martin.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 AM

Default Guitar Upgrade Specifics

I should also mention even though I play out occasionally, I'm looking for an acoustic/electric that sounds best when NOT plugged in. I'm also mostly a strummer.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM

There are lots of "great bang for the buck" guitars in the sub-two grand market. Frankly, you will find it hard to go wrong.

The Taylor 414ce is as fine a guitar as you will find, given your budget (and, again, speaking frankly, you could spend a grand more and not do any better).

Taylor, Martin, Larrivee. Horses for courses. All good.

(Don't worry about the built-in electronics of the Taylor affecting the sound. And don't depend on the advice of forum pundits (like me, I guess) to determine this. There are all kinds of Taylor 414s, with and without electronics, in stores. Play them and listen to them for yourself. My dollar says after doing so, your worries will evaporate. My guess is you will love the Taylor electronics and even though you may only plug in once in a great while, you will be very happy you went with the "package".

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.

Last edited by epaul; 12-16-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:11 AM

Play a Breedlove American series before you commit to anything.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonted View Post
Play a Breedlove American series before you commit to anything.
Agreed! The American series is great.

My advice is to play every guitar you can get your hands on, and let your hands and ears decide what you like best. I played a Taylor GC8 that sounded incredible the other day, but didn't have the money for it.

Marsh
Old 12-16-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethancarey View Post
I should also mention even though I play out occasionally, I'm looking for an acoustic/electric that sounds best when NOT plugged in. I'm also mostly a strummer.
If you're mostly a strummer looking for acoustic sound, you might want to check out the GS/x16 series Taylors rather than the GA/x14. The (slightly) bigger soundboard and medium strings are a great fit for strumming.

The flip side, of course is that you've got medium strings that aren't as playable as lights. (Though round-core strings like DR Sunbeams can take care of most of that.) I went from a 414 to my current GS8 and never looked back.

Good luck, and Happy 60th!

Adam
Old 12-16-2010, 01:06 PM

I'd take a look at some of the ltd's that Taylor puts out a few times a year. I've always thought for the future/wood upgrades they usually include on those things and the fact that they're not that much more expensive than the standard models makes them great bang-for-your-buck guitars.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 12-16-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeastman View Post
I'd take a look at some of the ltd's that Taylor puts out a few times a year. I've always thought for the future/wood upgrades they usually include on those things and the fact that they're not that much more expensive than the standard models makes them great bang-for-your-buck guitars.
+1 on the Ltds ... my 414ce Spring Ltd was acquired within your stated price range limit and the Walnut tone is exceptional to my ears ... plays like a dream too ... you should be able to find a really nice guitar within your (your wife's price range ... happy hunting!

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 PM

I love my 414ce, but you may want to compare it to the new Martin GPCPA3.
It looks like a Taylor Grand Auditorium, but sounds like a Martin.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
+1 on the Ltds ... my 414ce Spring Ltd was acquired within your stated price range limit and the Walnut tone is exceptional to my ears ... plays like a dream too ... you should be able to find a really nice guitar within your (your wife's price range ... happy hunting!
Indeed, and ol Jim just happens to have one in stock:

http://www.guitarrodeo.com/taylor_de...0.20&series=LT
Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM

+1 on the 414CE . A wise man that really respected told me to go to every guitar shop, and GC I could, I'm a traveling sales rep. He said one would smack me in the mouth and I'd know that was the one. That happened with the 414CE and I've been playing it for 5 years now, loving it. I plug in alot these days with a looper pedal trying to learn leads and fingerpick on the proch.
The LTD's intrigue me though as do those 12 fret slothead American series by Breedlove. Also love those Gibson SJ200 alot as my hero plays one like no one else. Check out this strumming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t9slqL_eSw
Old 12-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox View Post
I would say 414ce is your best bet...I have an 814ce and to be honest - would say the 414 plays and sounds just as good as the 814. So, if rosewood, inlays, and rosette is no big deal to you...get the 414.
+1 -- I've had the same experience. My 414ce is still my main gigging & playing guitar even after commissioning an outstanding BTO that retailed over 11K. My old Martin & others aren't getting much attention these days.

Your sound preference is primary, of course, but a well-set-up 414ce is a great player's guitar. (Do I need to say "well-set-up" again? Spend the cash for that no matter what the salesperson says about not needing it!)

One thing more: Your style of playing and whether or not you need to drive sound through a band (vs. solo or singer accompaniment) is very important, of course. The GA box may not be a good choice for a country flat-picker who needs to be heard over enthusiastic bass players and drummers -- dreadnaughts, including Martins, are always a good choice for that.

Finally, once you have it in your hands, don't second guess your choice. Obsessing over choice of guitar and technical minutiae really gets in the way of enjoying a fine music experience.
Martin Steve Miller Pegasus #299/383
Taylor 14 body BTO ("The Junebug Special")
414ce
National Rez O-14
1971 Tak 12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion