The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-10-2009, 03:09 PM

Default NEWBIE Husband looking for some HELP

Hi Guys,

My wife is an avid guitarist and is the lead guitar in our church choir. She currently uses a A/E Epiphone, which I purchased for her about 15 years ago. I am thinking about purchasing a new/used A/E guitar for her for XMAS. I am a complete newb when it comes to guitars so I would really appreciate some advice from the experts. I am looking to spend around $600-800 for a guitar. She does play some at home but the guitar would be mainly used for church. I have been looking at the Martin XC1Tand the DX1E but really like the Lavarrie D-03 based on the reviews and the all wood construction. I know their are probably more bang for the buck guitars out there so that is why I am asking for some help.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read and comment on my post. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:17 PM

At the risk of pouring cold water (or snow) on your idea, I suggest you give her the money and let her pick it out herself. Guitars, especially for accomplished players, as your wife seems to be, are very personal things when it comes to tonal quality, neck size, woods used, etc.

All that said, if you're dead set on seeing a guitar under the tree, go to a big box retailer with a good return policy, because chances are you will not get the right one. Just my experience speaking here..........

Others may think differently.

Best regards

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 12-10-2009, 03:26 PM

I agree with Gary 100%. Give her the means to pick the one she wants. It's an individual preference. You could get her the most expensive or prettiest one you see and she may not like it at all.

Good Luck,
Marcus

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else." -----Yogi Berra
Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

I totally agree with Gary. Give her a gift certificate to the guitar store and possibly a home made coupon for a dinner and your agreement to take her shopping and spend the day with her. Those two combined may bring a huge smile on Christmas morn.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:42 PM

+1 on all statements above. Although a Martin or Larivee might be a really nice gift, she may have some specific appointments/features that she is looking for.

Another idea: if you really do want to put something under the tree, buy a nice guitar stand and tell her its for the new guitar you are buying for her whenever she decides. Or maybe a nice new leather guitar strap, and if you have time, get it embossed or embroided with her initials/name. I think any musician would appreciate something like that along with receiving a new instrument.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:48 PM

...of course once you get to the music store, you'll start comparing $800 to $1200 to $2500. They start to get really nice around $2500.00
Old 12-10-2009, 03:53 PM

man... thats so true.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Give her a gift certificate to the guitar store and possibly a home made coupon for a dinner and your agreement to take her shopping and spend the day with her. Those two combined may bring a huge smile on Christmas morn.
+1 for Tim's suggestion. You will be the hero of the year (even if there will only be 5 days left in the year)
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 12-10-2009, 03:59 PM

+1 on T-Bone's idea of a stand or a embossed strap - she'll think it's for her current guitar, then you can add a card with a note saying this is to go with your new guitar - which she can pick out.

I'm thinkin' this will be a bit hit. There would be nothing worse for your wife than making her tell you that this was a great gift honey - but not what I really wanted.

I know my wife STILL mentions every shirt she ever bought for me that I took back because it was just not my style. I'm much happier when I pick out what I really want - double that for a guitar.

She will have loads of fun picking out that next guitar.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 12-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Gary is on the money on this one. I suggest a box the size of a guitar with a beautifully written note that says something along the lines of "honey, lets go pick you out a new guitar together".
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 12-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
I suggest a box the size of a guitar with a beautifully written note that says something along the lines of "honey, lets go pick you out a new guitar together".
Man, somebody is buckin' for some good Christmas lovin'...
Gibson Jackson Browne Model 1
Gibson J-45 Studio
Taylor 714CE
Takamine Glenn Frey Signature
Old 12-10-2009, 05:06 PM

Thanks guys for the advice.

I did not even think about just buying a stand and strap. I am glad I posted before possibly buying something she might (big might) like.

I appreciate it.

Hope you guys have a safe holiday season
Old 12-10-2009, 05:39 PM

I like what my wife did for my 40th which might work for you. She handed me a savings account passbook, inside was a note saying "Neil's Guitar Fund" with enough for a decent guitar but she also told me that I could add to it in order to get the guitar I want. That's been the hard part and I've been going back and forth between saving up for one of my dream guitars or pulling the trigger on something good for right now. GAS is pretty much a 7 year itch thing for me, so I get kinda loopy like that!

I like Tim's idea better though.
Old 12-10-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I totally agree with Gary. Give her a gift certificate to the guitar store and possibly a home made coupon for a dinner and your agreement to take her shopping and spend the day with her. Those two combined may bring a huge smile on Christmas morn.
I couldnt agree more -she might already have her eye on something but is afraid to ask .it is also possible that shes happy with what she has -its rare but a few people are . dont be afraid to anty up a bit if she wants something alittle better !
Old 12-10-2009, 09:42 PM

Well, my wife doesn't play guitar, and doesn't have a clue when it comes to them...I know I would be disappointing if she got me a guitar because it would be a "pretty" guitar...but not what I would want. I would love the thought she put behind it, but in all probability, not the guitar.
Conversely, she IS getting me a guitar for Christmas (a very late present 'cuz it's on layaway) but I picked it out and asked if I could get it...then told her it could be my Christmas gift!
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion