The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2011, 09:52 PM

Default Looking for budget short scale acoustics

Ive been wanting a different acoustic than my Yamaha because the Yamaha has kind of a med V neck thats thin. Not really digging it.

I am thinking a short scale will alleviate some of my pain/tension woes. Seagulls seem nice, but Im worried that a dread size body will be too much for my right arm, as my neck and shoulder start to hurt from playing a dread.

I really like the idea of the slimmer nut on the s6 slim, and short scale.

Any other $400 dollar guitars this good? Short scale? possibly smaller bodies?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:56 PM

There are many choices in the Godin lineup, as all of its guitars have short scales.

I would look at the Folk models (Simon & Patrick, Norman, Seagull, Art & Lutherie). Most of the guitars with Wild Cherry B/S will be under $400.
Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 AM

I just got at a Taylor GS Mini, great sound and very comfortable to play.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 AM

There's also the various Recording King/Silver Creek 000 variants. They are all short scale and in your range.

My Eastman OM is a 25" scale, but it's not under $400 unfortunately.

This inexpensive Hohner has me mildly interested. Short scale, 1-3/4" nut (supposedly... hard to find specs).

http://www.amazon.com/Hohner-Essenti...uitar-Sunburst
Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Thanks everyone. I saw a silver creek that I almost thought was perfect - then saw it had a V neck... definitely dont want that as I have one now.

I wish the Godin guitars came in an auditorium size. It seems the folk is only a hair smaller than a dread...

I really like what I am seeing of the OOO bodied Recording Kings - spruce top and rosewood back/sides and a C shape neck/short scale. We may be onto something here...
Old 10-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achase4u View Post
I wish the Godin guitars came in an auditorium size. It seems the folk is only a hair smaller than a dread...
Actually, Godin's folks are a hair smaller than OMs. They're between OMs and 00s in size, slightly tilting towards OMs.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 PM

Oh, I see -

Are the Recording King OOO size guitars worth anything?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Smile Less pain,More play'n.......

In regard to your pain woes,I had a big problem with pain and soreness in my hands.I had carpal tunnel surgery in both hands about two years ago and both came out fine. My soreness is from to much playing.I started taking
Glucosamine Chondroitin Dietary supplement 2 per day formula available in any drug store.It took away about 75% of my pain and soreness.
The best thing is that it's not a drug.
I play fingerstyle and after reading and watching Youtube videos I'm ready to order a Trinity College 12 fret guitar.Not only for the sound but for ease of playing that is often mentioned.I hope you will have the success with the supplement that I did.I'll let you know how the guitar works out.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:56 PM

Thanks! My chiropractor recommended that a while back - I will try taking some to see how it helps me...

I think a part of my problem is bad circulation. My arms and hands feel better when I REALLY warm them up - but they take a while to get there. Maybe theres a sleeve or something I can wear to promote blood flow...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

i like 'em. the solid top model has a C neck and is in your price range http://elderly.com/new_instruments/n...es-i--RO06.htm

Quote:
Oh, I see -

Are the Recording King OOO size guitars worth anything?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:54 PM

You know - the Eastman OM looks really nice. Looks like it has what I want - nut width is 1 3/4 which is just a little bigger than what I have.

I think maybe I'll save up for the rosewood one that they have for about 800. Itll be a while, but why not?
Old 10-12-2011, 01:00 PM

You'll be really happy with the Eastman OM I've had a E20 OM for a little over a year now and it's wonderful. I have one of their E20P 00 parlor guitars too.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:04 PM

Nice! I think the body style might help my right side neck and shoulder a little.

It seems to be what I want. I do a little strumming but I like fingerstyle more...

Welp, time to get the piggy bank going!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
You know - the Eastman OM looks really nice. Looks like it has what I want - nut width is 1 3/4 which is just a little bigger than what I have.

I think maybe I'll save up for the rosewood one that they have for about 800. Itll be a while, but why not?
Don't overlook the Eastman Mahogany backed OM's. Great deal and GREAT sound. The AC312's that are still out there may be had for less than $600. The newer "vintagey" looking E6OM's are a bit more. I use mine for some light strumming and fingerstyle with fingers and finger picks. Awesome tone either way.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Is that right? I may go for that instead! Since Im not super serious player. How will the mahogany sound different to the rosewood?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion