The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 03:51 PM

This guitar is fantastic not only because of the sound and price. But, orange warm look, materilas, colors, feel, short scale and thicker neck - all that made this guitar relly unique in this price range.
You can find hundreds of spruce/laminat guitars with normal body and they can be really good but there is just one S6 - in that price range. It looks like it is smaller, so you can play it more easily, but in fact it is not - it is real dreadnought guitar body with that dreadnought strong sound. It is for sure one of the best offers ever in the little seriously made guitars.
It don't have strong basses like some expensive guitars but whole impression is very warm sound. I use mine with Elxir PB nano medim-light strings (12-56). I think thicker basses with thiner trebles combination are ideal for this guitar.
Cedar is used on classical guitars and this guitar reminds me on sound of classical guitars much more than any spruce guitar. It is good for playing with fingers because sound type and neck. But I like it with chords also because bluesy, strong and warm sound.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpocket View Post
There are some crazy Seagull fans out there. Don't really get why... Good guitars, but nothing to jump up and down about.
Seagull guitar owners/players seem to be a cult following.... I belong to that cult
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
i am presentle in the process of changing my strings on my s6 and the saddle fell out of the bridge groove, it can go in both ways but not sure which way is correct
please help

Dave T&T
The tall side should go to the bass side (low E) (fat string)
Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANeat View Post
The tall side should go to the bass side (low E) (fat string)
thank a mil

Dave
T&T
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM

By chance do you know the specs for
neck releif
string height
on a Seagull S6
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpocket View Post
Sound: Can be kind of dull due to cedar characteristics. Honestly, it's kind of a unique sound, and it can sound poor when compared directly to other guitars side by side. I feel like this is out of expectation. Spruce dominates in quantity, however there is something about the S6's sound. Seems like a love or hate thing to me. The sound really grew on me and I've grown to love it. It is not a very complex sound. The bass is a little boxy, and the highs are a little bright, but **** for $399 it sounds good to me. Excels very well in fingerstyle play. Strumming is okay. Sustain is decent for this price point. She can get loud too. 7.5/10
I think this rating is spot on. The S6 in my sig was my starter guitar when I began playing nearly 6 months ago. And it was fine for a while. As time when on though, I was craving something different.

My right shoulder is an issue for me (old injury) and the dread shape started to aggravate it. But there's something else -- compared to my Martin, the weight balance of the S6 is off. The smaller Martin is heavier and weighted toward the belly of the guitar and I can fret the neck without it ever tipping down on me. With the Seagull, I constantly have to squeeze the guitar under my right arm to prevent the neck from tipping down when moving around the neck and it annoys the crap out of me.

Anyway, I go through periods where I love the S6, then back to hating it for a while. And because of that, I think it's going to be for sale soon, (potentially replaced with an Eastman E10OM)

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 03-06-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
With the Seagull, I constantly have to squeeze the guitar under my right arm to prevent the neck from tipping down when moving around the neck and it annoys the crap out of me.
Just an option, but have you tried playing it while using a strap? This would keep the neck from diving and you might like it more again
Old 03-06-2012, 11:30 PM

I bought my S6 18 years ago, and I really love it for what it is and for what it meant to me at the time I got it. My S6 t has a great deal of sentimental value to me, having done its part to help me through a very rough couple of years in my life in the early-mid 90s.

That part aside, it's hard to imagine getting more bang for the buck in the S6 price range. Funny, I still have the original receipt for it (priced at $360 in April 1994). It's pretty neat to see that they've remained a fairly popular guitar at just about the same price they were back when I got mine.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 PM

To the OP. Did you find any finish problems with the S6 such as poor lacquering, or frets that were rough or chipped, or strings that fretted out a bit when used down low on the fretboard? I bought a Seagull Entourage Rustic today with all those problems which I'm taking back. I'm curious if this is a one-off problem or epidemic within this line of guitars?
Old 03-07-2012, 12:36 AM

i think Seagull (Godin) makes a fine instrument. My wife bought me a S6 SM model back about 1991. I sold it when I bought a Martin. But it ws a well built nice sounding guitar. I recently was given an old Seagull folk model. With a good setup and some Newtone Strings it is an excellent couch/vacation guitar fingerpicker. Great product for the money.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd6969 View Post
Just an option, but have you tried playing it while using a strap? This would keep the neck from diving and you might like it more again
Yes, have thought about going that route. Which I will probably have to try soon if I want to keep the thing.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 03-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Charter Member

I agree that the S6 is wonderful for ragtime and fingerpicking blues. Tried out some Etta Baker on mine today as a first audition!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Yes, have thought about going that route. Which I will probably have to try soon if I want to keep the thing.
Sure thing - If it doesn't work out for you, I'm sure you'll be able to sell it no problem...
Old 03-07-2012, 03:09 AM

Seagull S6 for sure is mirracle and without any fear or shame you can set it against any laminated guitar and many all solid wood guitars under the 1000 USD. And Seagull is 350-400.
But somewhere near the 1000 it is a border. So, please don't make unfair comparisions with all solid wood Martins which cost 3 times more. I like my S6 but I am trying always to be real.
And if for somebody S6 is not comfortable to play because of dreadnought body, S6 is not responsible for that. On the contrary, S6 is one of the most comfortable dreadnoughts to play because of short scale. But little guitars are little guitars, you can play them when lying down in bed.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
To the OP. Did you find any finish problems with the S6 such as poor lacquering, or frets that were rough or chipped, or strings that fretted out a bit when used down low on the fretboard? I bought a Seagull Entourage Rustic today with all those problems which I'm taking back. I'm curious if this is a one-off problem or epidemic within this line of guitars?
My S6 is beautifully made. All the frets are perfect and the light finish is consistent. In general one of the characteristics of a Godin instrument is the consistently high quality for the price. Sorry to hear your is faulty.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion