The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-26-2013, 08:21 AM

Wouldn't surprise me if cosmetically lesser woods were used for SB tops. I've a friend who worked at GM for 30 years. He told me when vinyl tops were popular they routinely set aside the tops with noticeable but relatively minor defects for the vinyl line. I think it would be a waste to use AAAA grade wood when lesser cosmetically but just as good sonically AA could serve for a SB guitar.
Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
I cannot speak to whether or not bursts ever have been used intentionally to mask cosmetic flaws as the primary purpose, but I absolutely believe that questionable looking tops get placed aside for the burst line while especially good looking tops go to the natural finish line. That only makes sense. I seriously doubt it's done randomly.
In a bit of fun contrast, I've heard a story coming from the Martin guys (possibly apocryphal), that Johnny Cash ordered an all black D-35 at one point; An order that CF Martin (III? I assume) initially refused, because he refused to cover the -35 grade woods in all black.

As the story goes, the guys in the factory built the darn thing anyway, just the way it was ordered, and Cash got his D-35, black finished fancy wood and all, just the way he wanted it.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:01 PM

I have a Gibson F-25 from '66 that I think may have had a sunburst before some previous owner did a shoddy refinish job on it. There are a couple of waves in the top grain that would have been covered by the dark of a sunburst. They do give the top some added character and I like to think of them as organic amplifiers.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Gibson also covered up unsightly wood during the Norlin era. Dark walnut finishes, wine red etc were common on the electrics.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:43 PM

I had a luthier friend tell me once that "There's always a reason behind a burst finish"

Personally, I want to see the wood!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna1 View Post
In a bit of fun contrast, I've heard a story coming from the Martin guys (possibly apocryphal), that Johnny Cash ordered an all black D-35 at one point; An order that CF Martin (III? I assume) initially refused, because he refused to cover the -35 grade woods in all black.

As the story goes, the guys in the factory built the darn thing anyway, just the way it was ordered, and Cash got his D-35, black finished fancy wood and all, just the way he wanted it.
If Johnny Cash orders a pink "Hello Kitty" Martin D-whatever...that's exactly what Mr. Cash gets. Just my opinion of course.

Whether it's true or not, That's a cool story.

'13 Guild D55
'13 Guild Custom Shop F20
'08 Guild JF-48
'18 Guild Jumbo Jr.
'13 Recording King "Dirty Thirties" Single-O
'13 Epiphone DR-212
Sigma DMISTC

PRS Custom 24 Artist
Fender American Strat
Fender Modern Player P90 Telecaster
Epiphone LP Special P90
Epiphone LP Standard

Various others...
Old 09-26-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive-south View Post
Most wood has flaws. It is after all natural organic matter. Some flaws are desirable, like bear claw.
15 years ago spruce with bearclaw was firewood. It's not desirable, it's marketing.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion