The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

Default Got another Guild!

She plays like a dream and sounds so good with my Guild acoustics!

Todd
Old 02-11-2016, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Sweet!!!! -- Darwin
Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. Congrats!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:49 PM

That's quite a collection! I like it.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:51 AM

Awesome collection!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Love Guilds, lots of luck with the newest!
Old 02-12-2016, 04:36 PM

I love those Newark St. reissues - still wondering when they're finally going to release the Starfire Bass II...
Old 02-12-2016, 11:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I love those Newark St. reissues - still wondering when they're finally going to release the Starfire Bass II...
Don't quote me on this, but I think I saw one in Anaheim last month. Fingers crossed.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I think I saw one in Anaheim last month. Fingers crossed.
Okay. I went back and checked. Yes, i did see it. Unlike the one on the Guild website, this one was black. Looked and felt nice. Did not play it.

Oddly, I do remember asking the corporate person (not Ren!), who asked me if I had any questions, would it be available in a five string version? She told me she didn't know basses ever had five strings! Maybe she was new.

Hang in there Steve! They must be coming soon.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:27 AM

In a court of law you'd have to plead Guildy. Very nice collection.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Okay. I went back and checked. Yes, i did see it. Unlike the one on the Guild website, this one was black...
Are you sure it was the two-pickup version - I've seen a few if the single-PU models in black - and if it's true I'd prefer either black or cherry (even more so) to the natural-hog model in the release pics...

Considering you're in Anaheim I have a feeling that rep's last job was sprinkling fairy dust over at Disneyland . but FWIW I don't think a 5-string is likely in this series; don't forget they're trying to recapture the '60s-vintage vibe, and except for Fender's abortive attempt 5-strings wouldn't come into their own for another 20 years. All is not lost if you're GASsing for a short-scale hollowbody 5-string, however:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAAGBV205A?siid=182476

- and when/if someone (most likely LaBella) ever decides to make suitable flatwound/tapewound strings (that low B comes in at .145, the rest are a standard 55-110 heavy-gauge roundwound set - the whole concept falls apart if you go with anything less) I'll be selling off my Ibanez SR405 in a heartbeat...
Old 02-13-2016, 05:14 PM

Congrats, love my 2000...

Old 02-13-2016, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Are you sure it was the two-pickup version - I've seen a few if the single-PU models in black - and if it's true I'd prefer either black or cherry (even more so) to the natural-hog model in the release pics...

Considering you're in Anaheim I have a feeling that rep's last job was sprinkling fairy dust over at Disneyland . but FWIW I don't think a 5-string is likely in this series; don't forget they're trying to recapture the '60s-vintage vibe, and except for Fender's abortive attempt 5-strings wouldn't come into their own for another 20 years. All is not lost if you're GASsing for a short-scale hollowbody 5-string, however:

- and when/if someone (most likely LaBella) ever decides to make suitable flatwound/tapewound strings (that low B comes in at .145, the rest are a standard 55-110 heavy-gauge roundwound set - the whole concept falls apart if you go with anything less) I'll be selling off my Ibanez SR405 in a heartbeat...
Yes, it was a Starfire II and had two pickups. For sure.

I'm not expecting five string model, but had to ask.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link. I'll see if I can find one to try. Not a fan of short scale basses however. Most seem to have intonation issues. The .145 might help that.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Okay. Here you go. Bad cell phone pic from NAMM, but you can see the one on the left has two pickups and the sign is hard to read, but it says "Starfire II"

I agree Cherry (or better yet a black cherry) sounds interesting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars