The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFerret View Post
Another electrical/battery device to carry around, charge, plug in etc.

I have one of those planet waves doohickeys which has string cutters, winder and bridge pin puller all in one. Much easier doing string changes when you only need that and the neck support, both of which fold up and fit in my pocket or gig bag easily.

Besides, every time I try and use a drill to screw/unscrew something, I invariably set the rotation the wrong way or overtighten or the drill slips and gouges the object I am working on...
Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 06:27 AM

Wonder how many people who use powered string winders have "hand built" guitars?

max
Old 04-20-2014, 06:33 AM

My string winder, my cutters, and my tuner are in the drawer beside my chair.
My guitar is on a stand the other side of my chair.
You want me to move to get a power tool?
MJRB
Old 04-20-2014, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

It has nothing to do with speed or laziness. Using a power winder gives me tremendous control and I tension the string with my right hand winding with my left. The guitar sits nice and steady. Its all for control

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
It has nothing to do with speed or laziness. Using a power winder gives me tremendous control and I tension the string with my right hand winding with my left. The guitar sits nice and steady. Its all for control
Control
max
Old 04-20-2014, 06:50 AM

If I use as many hand tools as possible to make the guitar, why would I use a power tool to wind the strings?

Better? Worse? Right? Wrong? Control??? Like tonewoods and braces, just different.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I have a Planet Waves winder, which is a manual winder with both pin puller and string cutter. I think you'd be up a creek if the battery went! Plus it's useless unlless you have a dedicated drill for the job. I can't fathom using my Mikwaukee 18V brushless motor drill, with 750in-oz torque at 2400rpm!
I use that all in one winder too. Great little tool.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drubbing View Post
Because I don't want to get a drill out, and charge it, or plug it in to wind my strings, when the black thing is sitting there in my guitar bag?

That ain't quicker.
Exactly right! Same reason I pull out a hand saw to cut a small item in 10 seconds when it would take 10 minutes to set up/use the table saw. As noted, if your doing production work, it's a different thing but to change strings on a guitar every few weeks, the crank tool in the case is much faster.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:17 AM

Although I have a plastic string winder,I did not use it when i changed the strings on my AEG20.Did not seem to take very much time and the results were satisfactory.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:17 AM

For a quick string change I use a hand winder for multiple guitars or 12 strings I use a drill. Why would you NOT use a string winder.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Exactly why I too use the Black & Decker screwdriver. As far as slipping, gouging, over tightening go... it's not a drill, so it doesn't spin fast enough for that to be a danger. Frankly, it was $12 very well spent. I have a Planet Waves hand winder in the case, for use when I'm away from home but MUCH prefer the B&D.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:43 AM

Sometimes the string-winders are a bit big.... Like on my mandolin. The tuning knobs are so close together that I keep knocking into the others...

Half the time I just wind 'em by hand... With the guitar on a padded surface I can hold tension with one hand and wind with the other...

If I had a 12-string I think I'd be tempted to go electric.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Why not just use this? Portable, reliable, efficient, fast, easy to find:

I like mine so much, I even have a spare! It's useful for other stuff, too.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:16 AM

Yeah, some of the time I'm too lazy to even get the string winder out of the case so I use that tool. I agree, it seems to work pretty well.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I was using a couple of my tools, and it got me thinking why others use less-efficient tools to perform the same task. This thread is not meant to bash any tools, it's more meant to help others find tools to help make their lives easier. I'll start it off with this for string winding:
The simple crank is small, lightweight, cheap, needs no power drill, has a pin puller. If I was a tech or luthier I'd think about having an electric on the bench, but for the average player it's just over kill.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
tools