The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-12-2014, 02:50 PM

you may want to check in on the talkbass forum. i'm sure this subject has been covered.

here is the link.

http://www.talkbass.com/

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-12-2014, 05:06 PM

Will she also need an amp? You can't really play a bass through a guitar amp (well you can, but it isn't a good idea).

It is hard to go wrong with a Fender Jazz or a Fender P.

If you are in Europe, are Warwicks any cheaper? I play a Warwick Streamer, and they are nice basses. You can find really good deals on used Warwick bolt-ons. They have first-rate electronics, but for whatever reason they don't hold value. You see $1200 Warwicks selling used for $5-600 US.

Ibanez also makes good basses. Most of their lower line is made in Indonesia, but they are a worldwide company with a solid reputation for making quality basses.

Finally, Yamaha makes a variety of basses and their quality is pretty good.

From what I have seen recently, in the US the used bass market is terrible if you are a seller and absolutely fantastic if you are a buyer. I see used basses in very good condition selling for less than 50% of what a new one would street.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistigri View Post
My 13 year old daughter has asked for a bass guitar for Christmas...It doesn't need to be a fantastic instrument but my personal preference would be to spend a little bit more and get something she will be able to play for a few years. She is a competent acoustic and electric guitarist, and has played a fair bit of bass guitar at music camps over the past couple of years...She has pretty much reached her adult size, but she is quite petite with small hands...She plays a bit of everything really ... from jazz through traditional music and folk to rock...I suppose I'd rather spend a bit more and get a "proper instrument"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Keep in mind that, due to its large size, ergonomics really come into play with bass guitar. Scale, as has been discussed is important - but so is the way a bass hangs due to the strap pin locations...As far as scale is concerned, don't assume that full scale (34") is fine. I would not be surprised if a smaller scale is more conducive to proper technique...Also nut width can be important. Maybe lean towards models with a 1.5" nut width...
Got your new "proper instrument" bass right here - just choose your weight (I'd go as close to the seven-pound mark as possible) and favorite color:

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargall...SI6WyIxMCJdfX0

You'll probably remember this one in its 1960's incarnation as the EB-3 (the favorite of Jack Bruce during his Cream days), and if you set it up like they did back in the day (medium-heavy strings - I have LaBella .049-109 flatwounds on mine - and low action) there'll be nothing short of all-out slap-and-pop funk that she won't be able to handle. BTW I've had one of these since 2007, and it's become my main instrument (no mean feat considering its predecessor was a Pedulla); you're not going to find anything comparable for anywhere near the price (the included hard-shell case alone is worth $200+), and since I understand Gibson is going to be discontinuing their entire low-end lineup for 2015 it's not only a wise purchase in the immediate but a potential collector piece in the future IMO...
Old 09-12-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
There you go. Bass scale is longer and they are heavier. Have her try some on (strap and standing).
Not always heavier. Fender and other imports may vary in weight.

On the custom side of things, ultra light ash and/or chambering can make for some really light basses. I think my Rob Allen short scale bass is about 6lbs. I have a 35" scale 4 that's under 8lbs.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:22 PM

theres a reason you don't really ever see anyone playing a Gibson or Epiphone EB-3 not a good choice they have one sound and its like mud, get her a jazz it covers all music styles and you won't have any regrets...google Tal Welkinfeld and show your daughter....
Old 09-12-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyg View Post
theres a reason you don't really ever see anyone playing a Gibson or Epiphone EB-3 not a good choice they have one sound and its like mud, get her a jazz it covers all music styles and you won't have any regrets...google Tal Welkinfeld and show your daughter....
Gibson basses are also notorious for neck dive and fragile headstocks. The neck dive makes for a lot of additional work for the fretting hand. It's due to the short top horn, which also makes the first position reach much longer despite shorter or the same scale length as a Fender type bass.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:26 PM

If she's particularly small check out the Ibanez Mikro. Otherwise, personally I'd recommend something like this. Gives some decent wiggle room for playing with different tones, which could be handy if she's going to be playing different styles.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Not always heavier. Fender and other imports may vary in weight.

On the custom side of things, ultra light ash and/or chambering can make for some really light basses. I think my Rob Allen short scale bass is about 6lbs. I have a 35" scale 4 that's under 8lbs.
Okay, that's true. They are usually heavier and I guess that since this is the AGF I was thinking compared to an acoustic guitar. I'm used to heavy basses and guitars and really don't think about it, but you do hear a lot about weight here on AGF.

I still suggest having her try them out and see what fits while she's wearing a strap and standing.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:00 AM

Thank you for all the very helpful suggestions. We will obviously try before buying - she's experienced enough to know what feels and sounds good. Will definitely bear in mind the point about the shape of the guitar affecting the strap position, although I think she will mostly play seated (in fact, in true teen style, she does most of her recording from the comfort of her bed ...).

It's really a question of knowing how far upmarket we need to go in order to get something that is a decent instrument rather than a beginner's guitar/ toy. There isn't a fixed budget, but having just bought her a saxophone, I'd rather not spend any more than I actually NEED to in order to get an instrument that she won't grow out of (grow out of musically, not physically).

Would something like this be suitable, in theory? I'd be reluctant to spend much more without a good reason. Do you get twice the guitar for your money, compared with a Squier Affinity which is half the price? (Sorry, link is French, but I assume it's a widely available model - this is our local guitar shop)
http://www.guitarshop.fr/basse/basse...jazz_bass.html
Old 09-13-2014, 04:34 AM
Guest4562

I'd look for a full scale, light bass with a Jazz bass style neck for the closer string spacing. You can find inexpensive copies of the Fender Jazz that will sound just fine.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you for all the very helpful suggestions. We will obviously try before buying - she's experienced enough to know what feels and sounds good...(Sorry, link is French, but...this is our local guitar shop)
I went to the website, and I see they have the Epiphone EB-0 (short scale) and EB-3 (long-scale) in stock - nominally identical in terms of materials and body shape/weight; just for argument's sake, have her try out both of them and see which one is better-balanced/better-suited to her physical stature - I strongly suspect she'll prefer the more compact dimensions of the former...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyg View Post
There's a reason you don't really ever see anyone playing a Gibson or Epiphone EB-3; not a good choice - they have one sound and it's like mud......
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Gibson basses are also notorious for neck dive and fragile headstocks. The neck dive makes for a lot of additional work for the fretting hand. It's due to the short top horn, which also makes the first position reach much longer despite shorter or the same scale length as a Fender type bass.
Except for the legendary headstock issues on the older models (I've never seen a Reissue with this problem, BTW) not so on either count, guys. As I said above I own one, so unless you're bent on shattering glass there's more than enough treble to be had when you dime the bridge pickup through a modern amp (you're probably thinking about the 2x15" and 1x18" folded-horn cabs from the late-60's/early-70's, Heavy, and I'll agree 100% - those things would make a Rick 4001 with Rotosounds sound like a foghorn) - comparable in this respect to the Pedulla it replaced, and that's with medium-heavy flatwounds. FWIW I can also get those thicker tones one usually associates with the '60's Gibsons/Epiphones as well as anything in between by playing with the instrument's tone/volume controls and amp EQ, and since the OP's musical tastes lean more toward the conservative side, IMO it's a more quality/cost-effective option...

I'd also beg to differ on both the reach and neck dive counts. One thing I've noticed in comparison to the '60s EB-0/EB-3 models is that they're generally heavier (the new ones can scale in at as high as 8-1/2 pounds - borderline P-/J-Bass territory - while some of the originals I've played over the last 50 years probably barely cracked the six-pound mark) with additional beef in both the neck (they've gone to 1-5/8" rather than the original 1-1/2", with a more rounded profile) and the body (something they first addressed in the post-1972 versions, BTW - the treble side is less contoured and more slab-like) - and while they're not perfect, neither is a P- or J-Bass in my experience. In addition, my wife is of similar stature to the OP (5'2" with small hands), and although she has issues with the 8-pound weight she's never had difficulty making the lower-position reaches - easier to execute than on her four-pound Hofner 5000/1, BTW - and speaking as one who's owned/played more than a few Fenders (I'm 5'11" with long fingers so weight/scale length is not a problem) there's no comparison in my book in terms of ease of handling either. There had to be something in this little ~$600 instrument that made it #1 over my (considerably more expensive) '91 Pedulla - and IMO the OP can make far worse choices in both the short and long run...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 09-13-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Thank you for all the very helpful suggestions. We will obviously try before buying - she's experienced enough to know what feels and sounds good. Will definitely bear in mind the point about the shape of the guitar affecting the strap position, although I think she will mostly play seated (in fact, in true teen style, she does most of her recording from the comfort of her bed ...).

It's really a question of knowing how far upmarket we need to go in order to get something that is a decent instrument rather than a beginner's guitar/ toy. There isn't a fixed budget, but having just bought her a saxophone, I'd rather not spend any more than I actually NEED to in order to get an instrument that she won't grow out of (grow out of musically, not physically).

Would something like this be suitable, in theory? I'd be reluctant to spend much more without a good reason. Do you get twice the guitar for your money, compared with a Squier Affinity which is half the price? (Sorry, link is French, but I assume it's a widely available model - this is our local guitar shop)
http://www.guitarshop.fr/basse/basse...jazz_bass.html
I think you'll love that bass! I've played one, and I like it. I probably would've bought one if I needed another bass.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 09-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I went to the website, and I see they have the Epiphone EB-0 (short scale) and EB-3 (long-scale) in stock - nominally identical in terms of materials and body shape/weight; just for argument's sake, have her try out both of them and see which one is better-balanced/better-suited to her physical stature - I strongly suspect she'll prefer the more compact dimensions of the former...

Except for the legendary headstock issues on the older models (I've never seen a Reissue with this problem, BTW) not so on either count, guys. As I said above I own one, so unless you're bent on shattering glass there's more than enough treble to be had when you dime the bridge pickup through a modern amp (you're probably thinking about the 2x15" and 1x18" folded-horn cabs from the late-60's/early-70's, Heavy, and I'll agree 100% - those things would make a Rick 4001 with Rotosounds sound like a foghorn) - comparable in this respect to the Pedulla it replaced, and that's with medium-heavy flatwounds. FWIW I can also get those thicker tones one usually associates with the '60's Gibsons/Epiphones as well as anything in between by playing with the instrument's tone/volume controls and amp EQ, and since the OP's musical tastes lean more toward the conservative side, IMO it's a more quality/cost-effective option...

I'd also beg to differ on both the reach and neck dive counts. One thing I've noticed in comparison to the '60s EB-0/EB-3 models is that they're generally heavier (the new ones can scale in at as high as 8-1/2 pounds - borderline P-/J-Bass territory - while some of the originals I've played over the last 50 years probably barely cracked the six-pound mark) with additional beef in both the neck (they've gone to 1-5/8" rather than the original 1-1/2", with a more rounded profile) and the body (something they first addressed in the post-1972 versions, BTW - the treble side is less contoured and more slab-like) - and while they're not perfect, neither is a P- or J-Bass in my experience. In addition, my wife is of similar stature to the OP (5'2" with small hands), and although she has issues with the 8-pound weight she's never had difficulty making the lower-position reaches - easier to execute than on her four-pound Hofner 5000/1, BTW - and speaking as one who's owned/played more than a few Fenders (I'm 5'11" with long fingers so weight/scale length is not a problem) there's no comparison in my book in terms of ease of handling either. There had to be something in this little ~$600 instrument that made it #1 over my (considerably more expensive) '91 Pedulla - and IMO the OP can make far worse choices in both the short and long run...
Totally agree. I have two Gibson basses, both from the last few years.

One is a Les Paul double cut and the other the ES-335 Bass that was a special run earlier this year. Both are great, well made, sound great and have no "dive" issues.

I have Fender basses as well, but I prefer the Gibsons. They are the "go tos".

Last edited by The Growler; 09-20-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
...I have two Gibson basses, both from the last few years...One is a Les Paul double cut...great, well made, sound great and have no "dive" issues...I have Fender basses as well, but I prefer the Gibsons. They are the "go tos"...
The '59 EB-3 that never was, and I'm sorry I didn't grab one while they were still in production - would've been killer in Heritage Cherry or TV Yellow like the '59 LP Juniors; I'm also wondering why they chose to do the current 335 Bass rather than an updated EB-2D (short scale/full neck access)...
Old 09-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The '59 EB-3 that never was, and I'm sorry I didn't grab one while they were still in production - would've been killer in Heritage Cherry or TV Yellow like the '59 LP Juniors; I'm also wondering why they chose to do the current 335 Bass rather than an updated EB-2D (short scale/full neck access)...
Yeah, I don't know why either. All I know is it is killer. Very glad I grabbed one while I could.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars