The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-05-2024, 03:26 AM

Default Does the nut need glue?

I removed the nut to raise it by inserting a strip of aluminum from a soda can beneath it.

Since I don't have any wood glue available, I just reinstalled the nut back without any glue. It seems to fit very tightly.

The nut seems to have a little bit of original glue mark on it (a very slight dab, circular about 2mm in diameter).

Do I need to glue it?

(The guitar is a Martin 000jr-10e. This is my son's guitar. He wants the action as low as possible and doesn't care about tone. So, I lowered it to 1.2mm on the high-E. After about 2 year's of use, the high-E string buzzes on the first fret; hence the sode can strip. The guitar plays fine after the adding the strip.)
Old 04-05-2024, 04:09 AM

I've tried not gluing some. During all 6 at a time string changes it may fall out. If someone bumps the guitar very hard exactly on the edge of the nut, the nut may slide out of place. I'd let it go until it becomes an issue.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:58 AM

If you must secure it, a "DROP" -- literally -- one drop... of a light super glue on each edge will hold it in place and still allow it to be removed if needed later.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-05-2024, 09:52 AM

That drop of glue should be to hold the side of the nut to the end of the fretboard, NOT between the bottom of the nut and the headstock.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-05-2024, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I removed the nut to raise it by inserting a strip of aluminum from a soda can beneath it.

Since I don't have any wood glue available, I just reinstalled the nut back without any glue. It seems to fit very tightly.

The nut seems to have a little bit of original glue mark on it (a very slight dab, circular about 2mm in diameter).
Do I need to glue it?
No. Better off without glue if it is already snug. And if you did glue it what? - glue aluminum to neck nut slot and aluminum to nut? Nope.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-05-2024, 01:35 PM

Thank you for the quick responses!

The original glue was between the nut and fretboard edge. So I'll put the new glue there.

Initially, I was thinking that I'd use diluted wood glue, but I got a tip to check out plastic glue (for easier future removal).
Old 04-05-2024, 03:21 PM

I was taught to make the nut slightly tapered, so that it's wider on the bass end. It's then fitted into a tapered slot so that it wedges in snuggly, but can easily be removed by a slight tap on the treble end. This is only about .2mm, .008", or less. so you might not notice it, but it makes a difference. Factories can't take the time to do this, so they glue them.

Violin nuts don't go into a slot, so they're glue with, as has been said, a small drop of glue on the end of the fingerboard. If you use hide glue the nut will stay put when you take the strings off, but pop off with a slight tap when you want to remove it.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

i don't usually use anything on the nut to fix it in place, but occasionally i will use this product i found randomly at a hardware store while buying exotic laminates. It is a very accurate dispenser for extremely thin double sided tape ( very very very thin) it allows me to put a 1/4" strip on each bottom end of nut. you can't even tell its been applied until to touch it. awesome stuff, made by Calvin $5. the peterson strobe tuner next to it for scale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calvin.jpg (52.5 KB, 58 views)

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 04-05-2024, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Depends on the instrument. Some may fit very securely but others will leave some play. I never used to glue them because I thought the tension was enough but what can happen is that the strings can pull the nut back a little when tuning up. Now, I put a drop on the face of the nut where it meets the fret board/neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair