The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-09-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
The Everse is a very focused source of sound. I already got complaints twice from shop owners about how loud it is but from a distance away it actually is just right. Manufacturers really need to look into constructing such busking PAs a little more like Bose's for dispersion. It's great if your locations are not close to working folks and can let the sound travel for a bit.
Hi Necrome, so is the Everse still your favourite speaker?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-09-2023, 11:09 PM

Quote:
The Everse is a very focused source of sound. I already got complaints twice from shop owners about how loud it is but from a distance away it actually is just right. Manufacturers really need to look into constructing such busking PAs a little more like Bose's for dispersion. It's great if your locations are not close to working folks and can let the sound travel for a bit.
You need lots of speakers to do it. And honestly, the only bose that realistically does this is the pro 32. Even the pro 16 only has about a 3db difference at like 15 feet or so. The Evolve 50 would be similar. The pro8 and other point source speakers would be exactly the same. Realistically unless you have a pro 32 most speakers on the market won’t do much different (maybe 3db louder at 10 feet).
Old 09-10-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Hi Necrome, so is the Everse still your favourite speaker?
Hi Cuki, yes the Everse 8 has everything I need in a portable speaker. Great EQ, has compressor, long battery life and very loud. It has some problems with feedback but you can use the built-in notch filters to reduce that. It does sound a bit too focused and slightly harsh as a sound source especially if you're right in front of it but I don't see any options around that unless they do a small array like the S1. For something so robust to weigh so little is a modern day miracle. It's also well built and feels like a reliable piece of professional hardware instead of a "prosumer" product. It paid for itself within a week of music work. Not perfect but definitely the best speaker by a large margin for a busker in my opinion. Below is a video someone took of me busking with the Everse 8, he also walks around so you can hear how it sounds from different angles and also when the feedback is triggered.

Last edited by necrome; 09-10-2023 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackPomerleau View Post
You need lots of speakers to do it. And honestly, the only bose that realistically does this is the pro 32. Even the pro 16 only has about a 3db difference at like 15 feet or so. The Evolve 50 would be similar. The pro8 and other point source speakers would be exactly the same. Realistically unless you have a pro 32 most speakers on the market won’t do much different (maybe 3db louder at 10 feet).
"Only" 3db is a lot, decibels are a logarithmic scale so that's very noticeable.

In terms of sheer dispersion, that is, standing to the significant left or right of the stick, even the ol' L1 Compact is much better than point-source speakers--which none of the Bose sticks are. Now, the closer you get to the Pro 32 the better life is all around, but the Compact, Pro 8 and Pro 16 arrays all provide signicantly better, fuller sound reproduction off to the sides than modern classic point-source PAs like the QSCs, and better than the Everse 8, which I have and love. And yes the higher you go up that model line the better it is. Same goes for the discontinued L1 M2 line and its variations.

I've said this before, but angling some of a stick's driver in the array seems like a fairly easy way for an engineer to create 180 deg (or so) of dispersion but for some reason only Bose has done this, to my knowledge. It's the main thing I miss on my Evolve 30m. That being said, even the 30m isn't a point-source speaker but its own kind of array, and its dispersion is pretty darn good, just not as epic as the Bose line.

The S1's dispersion is good, but not as good as the Bose sticks.

By the way, I really enjoyed your performance, necrome!
Old 09-10-2023, 11:01 PM

We’re talking about left and right dispersion. To do that you need pretty small speakers, that’s the key. Bht theres struggles to that. And 3db isn’t really that much. 120db vs 123db is not that huge of a difference whatsoever. You need 10db to actively make the sound double the volume, 3db is power.

The thing I’m discussing in my post is the dispersion distance wise. If you walk ten feet away from the speaker and then 20, then 40 feet, then 80 feet you lose 6db every time. Only true arrays lose 3db each time. The Pro8 is not a true array. The pro 16 will lose 3db maybe the first 15 feet vs your standard point source (the evolve 50M would be similar). The pro32 would only lose like 6 decibel around 30ish feet. It’s because of the fact you have more speakers acting as one big speaker, it makes the frequency beam lower essentially as I understand it. This is the true benefit of an array.

I mean I’ve heard the pro 32 and the Evolves, I personally don’t think they sound that different from the sides. Slightly different depending on the frequencies. It’s pretty obvious to me the Bose do something very specific eq wise to utilize a very specific frequency range which will heighten the ability to throw and not drop from the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
"Only" 3db is a lot, decibels are a logarithmic scale so that's very noticeable.

In terms of sheer dispersion, that is, standing to the significant left or right of the stick, even the ol' L1 Compact is much better than point-source speakers--which none of the Bose sticks are. Now, the closer you get to the Pro 32 the better life is all around, but the Compact, Pro 8 and Pro 16 arrays all provide signicantly better, fuller sound reproduction off to the sides than modern classic point-source PAs like the QSCs, and better than the Everse 8, which I have and love. And yes the higher you go up that model line the better it is. Same goes for the discontinued L1 M2 line and its variations.

I've said this before, but angling some of a stick's driver in the array seems like a fairly easy way for an engineer to create 180 deg (or so) of dispersion but for some reason only Bose has done this, to my knowledge. It's the main thing I miss on my Evolve 30m. That being said, even the 30m isn't a point-source speaker but its own kind of array, and its dispersion is pretty darn good, just not as epic as the Bose line.

The S1's dispersion is good, but not as good as the Bose sticks.

By the way, I really enjoyed your performance, necrome!
Old 09-11-2023, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Hi Cuki, yes the Everse 8 has everything I need in a portable speaker. Great EQ, has compressor, long battery life and very loud. It has some problems with feedback but you can use the built-in notch filters to reduce that.
Seems you get feedback from your headset mic… what mic do you use?

Do you use the compressor on vocals?

Do you use the tone and reverb from the harmony singer?

Did you get rid of the AH4x4?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-11-2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Seems you get feedback from your headset mic… what mic do you use?

Do you use the compressor on vocals?

Do you use the tone and reverb from the harmony singer?

Did you get rid of the AH4x4?
Yes the mic is definitely not helping with the feedback. I'm using an AKG C520. I changed from a Shure WH20XLR because that broke and I tried a new brand/model. I may have to switch to a mic stand + mic but that adds a lot of weight so I'm still figuring that out.

Yes, compressor for both vocals and guitar.

Yes for Harmony Singer's tone but no reverb.

Yes got rid of the AH4x4, just wasn't loud enough for my use case.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Yes the mic is definitely not helping with the feedback. I'm using an AKG C520. I changed from a Shure WH20XLR because that broke and I tried a new brand/model. I may have to switch to a mic stand + mic but that adds a lot of weight so I'm still figuring that out.

Yes, compressor for both vocals and guitar.

Yes for Harmony Singer's tone but no reverb.

Yes got rid of the AH4x4, just wasn't loud enough for my use case.
So the Harmony Singer provides phantom power for the mic? Do you run it on battery? The batteries must die quickly do they?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-11-2023, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So the Harmony Singer provides phantom power for the mic? Do you run it on battery? The batteries must die quickly do they?
The Everse 8 has phantom power, a full 48v compared to the 30m/50m--EV learned their lesson with the oddly spec'd 15v on those far more powerful sticks.

I'm not super surprised that a mic, especially a condenser mic, would create feedback when necrome leans mic and even guitar closer to the Everse in a confined space.
Old 09-12-2023, 03:15 AM

Quote:
One of the great things about the Everse 8 is that is has a power plug for the Harmony Singer (albeit reversed polarity) so I only had to get a wire made to power the Harmony Singer. One less battery to carry around! And yes the pedal supplies phantom power.

Last edited by necrome; 09-13-2023 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:07 PM

My choice is the Bose S1 Pro.
I like it so much that when I felt that I needed a bit more sound, I purchased a second unit.
Both fit easily into my little folding wagon, with room for small speaker stands and all the other things that I use.

My guitar can sit on top of everything in the wagon or I can use the backpack feature from the gig bag., to carry it.

Set up is quick and easy and the sound if full and rich.
Old 09-12-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
The Everse 8 has phantom power
I am not sure you can power a mic with the Everse 8 phantom power through the harmony singer vocal pedal… if it is what you meant. Necrom answered, he is powering the harmony singer with a dc jack and I guess the harmony singer provides phantom power to the mic.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-12-2023, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am not sure you can power a mic with the Everse 8 phantom power through the harmony singer vocal pedal… if it is what you meant. Necrom answered, he is powering the harmony singer with a dc jack and I guess the harmony singer provides phantom power to the mic.
Cuki, it never occurred to me that the Harmony Singer supplied phantom power, but indeed it does per their manual:

There is no switch to enable phantom power on Harmony Singer. Phantom power is available when the product is powered up. Microphones that don’t require phantom power will operate properly

I never had to think of this due to my own setup, but I guess you called it!
Old 01-01-2024, 01:24 PM

So I bought it and sound is extremely good...even from far away! I m just afraid about it's realibility when I am out in the streets! It has already many scratches...

I think cube street has better construction *like a tank*

What is your opinion?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification