The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 PM

Default Advice on a first acoustic

I'm looking for my first acoustic after playing exclusively electric for a while. I've been playing quite a few guitars at my local shops and have found a few guitars that I really like:

Martin D15M
Seagull S6 Original
Guild D40
Larrivee L03

All over the map in terms of price point I realize. I've been spending quite a bit on guitar gear over the past year and would like to keep things under $1K if possible. Obviously the S6 is the most cost effective and maybe doesn't belong in the same company as the others (laminate back/sides, etc.), but I've been really impressed with what I've heard from this guitar. Almost shockingly good for the asking price. I'm also an ex-pat Canadian so feel some affinity towards it (and the Larrivee for that matter) I have played the D15M on several occasions and really like it. I like the size and the tone, but it's at the very top of my budget. The D40 has a BIG sound, lots of bass but I would have to go used in order to get one within my budget. I played an L03 at a dealer several months ago but it's not that close to home and I haven't been back since. I'll give it another audition before making a purchasing decision, but I do remember thinking it felt/sounded very nice. It's also a bit of a budget buster, but I would be willing to stretch for the better guitar. I've considered Taylors but not sure I'd enjoy their brighter sound over the long term. This might sound silly, but there's something about Taylors that make them feel less like they're built by craftsman than Martin/Larrivee. It could just be the way they're marketed/sold, but just a feeling I have.

Anything else I should be considering? I'd prefer (North) American made and don't need built-in electronics.

Last edited by logan2z; 11-28-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

if you like north american guitars and larrivee but prefer a big sound, perhaps worth trying a larrivee dread.

one thing i'd consider is whether you have a preference when it comes to nut widths. if so, the s6 has a big fat neck and wide nut, and really fills the hand, while others you list have a 1 11/16" nut. i like the s6's 1.8" nut and deeper neck, but others find it a bit too much. if that's the case, the s6 slim is the same guitar with a more slender nut. the 2 dreads have slender nuts, the larrivee L falls between the seagulls and the dreads with a 1 3/4" nut.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:55 PM

Welcome to AGF.

I think you are well on your way. You know how to play. Now just pick what sounds good to your ears and what feels right (body size, neck, nut width, etc). Then buy what you can afford. Trust your gut...and your ears.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
if you like north american guitars and larrivee but prefer a big sound, perhaps worth trying a larrivee dread.

one thing i'd consider is whether you have a preference when it comes to nut widths. if so, the s6 has a big fat neck and wide nut, and really fills the hand, while others you list have a 1 11/16" nut. i like the s6's 1.8" nut and deeper neck, but others find it a bit too much. if that's the case, the s6 slim is the same guitar with a more slender nut. the 2 dreads have slender nuts, the larrivee L falls between the seagulls and the dreads with a 1 3/4" nut.
I think Patticake nailed it. Since you're coming from the electric world where the nut width is usually 1 11/16", you may not have issues with an acoustic nut width of that size, although acoustic strings tend to be a little larger.

Of those guitars you listed, personally, I'd go with the Larrivee but it does cost about twice as much as the Seagull (great guitar too). Also, the Martin is an all mahogany guitar which you may not want as your first and only acoustic.

Do you have the option of playing all these guitars?

Welcome to the Forum!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Of those guitars you listed, personally, I'd go with the Larrivee but it does cost about twice as much as the Seagull (great guitar too).
In my neck of the woods the Larrivee costs nearly 3x as much as the S6. If it were a 2x difference, I'd be happy

Quote:
Also, the Martin is an all mahogany guitar which you may not want as your first and only acoustic.
I suffer from chronic GAS, so while this is my first acoustic it's unlikely to be my only acoustic

Quote:
Do you have the option of playing all these guitars?
I've played all of them. I haven't played the Larrivee for a while as the closest dealer is a bit of a drive from me, but I will try and get there again soon before making any decisions.

Quote:
Welcome to the Forum!
Thank you!
Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM

I would be all over a Guild D-40. What a fantastic guitar!
Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Don't spend too much time over-analyzing nut-width, etc. I played guitar (both acoustic and electric) for twenty years before I ever knew there was such a thing. Get the one that looks, sounds, feels, (and costs) the best to you. Ultimately, you can't make a "bad" choice with the four quality options you listed. My preferences from the four (and I've played them all) is either the Seagull or the Larrivee.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion