The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 AM

Default String touching saddle

I've noticed that some of the strings are touching the saddle on my electric. Notably the high e string. Is this a problem?

It is one these types of bridges http://www.shopping.com/Gibson-Gibso...Gold/info?sb=1

The guitar is a String-thru body type of electric.

Last edited by lutehole; 09-23-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM

You better hope all of them are touching the saddle!

I think you better supply a picture of what you think the issue is.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 09-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

lutehole - this is probably an issue of nomenclature.

The SADDLE is what the string sits upon; the BRIDGE is what the saddle sits on! So, the string HAS to touch the saddle, but you don't want it touching the bridge...

Does this help?

It will help if you tell us what type bridge (and/or guitar) you have. If the string is touching the bridge, that's a problem; either your saddle has slipped or worn WAY down. On Gibson "tune-o-matic" type bridges, the saddle pieces are fairly easy to replace, if that's the problem...

This, of course, is assuming that the guitar is set-up properly; talking about neck relief, action adjustment, that type of thing...

play on...........................................>

John

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
lutehole - this is probably an issue of nomenclature.

The SADDLE is what the string sits upon; the BRIDGE is what the saddle sits on! So, the string HAS to touch the saddle, but you don't want it touching the bridge...

Does this help?

It will help if you tell us what type bridge (and/or guitar) you have. If the string is touching the bridge, that's a problem; either your saddle has slipped or worn WAY down. On Gibson "tune-o-matic" type bridges, the saddle pieces are fairly easy to replace, if that's the problem...

This, of course, is assuming that the guitar is set-up properly; talking about neck relief, action adjustment, that type of thing...

play on...........................................>

John
It is one of these types of bridges http://www.shopping.com/Gibson-Gibso...Gold/info?sb=1

The highe e string is touching the back of it
Old 09-22-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutehole View Post
It is one of these types of bridges http://www.shopping.com/Gibson-Gibso...Gold/info?sb=1

The highe e string is touching the back of it
Several of the other strings are also touching it. What do you think?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Several of the other strings are also touching it. What do you think?
If I understand you then it is not a problem. If a string contacts the bridge behind the saddle it does not matter because the edge of the saddle becomes the "fulcrum-point" (for lack of a better term) for the string. I am assuming you are getting no buzzing or string deadness. If not, then don't be concerned.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:38 PM

Well, I may have to disagree with the no concern part. If the break angle from the saddle to the string mount is that great, tuning issues could arise along with string breakage due to the higher tension at the saddle. Bends will be easier, or should I say shorter to get to pitch. I think the guitar may need a setup. I am now thinking the bridge is too high. What is your action like?
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Old 09-22-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggleman View Post
Well, I may have to disagree with the no concern part. If the break angle from the saddle to the string mount is that great, tuning issues could arise along with string breakage due to the higher tension at the saddle. Bends will be easier, or should I say shorter to get to pitch. I think the guitar may need a setup. I am now thinking the bridge is too high. What is your action like?
Yes, you are probably right. It might cause some string breaking issues but I don't see why tuning issues would occur? You could lower the bridge just a tad until the strings are barely off the bridge. If you get string buzzing at that point you may need a bit more relief in the truss rod. None of this should mess up your intonation.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I've noticed that some of the strings are touching the saddle on my electric. Notably the high e string. Is this a problem?

It is one these types of bridges http://www.shopping.com/Gibson-Gibso...Gold/info?sb=1
You should be able to raise the tailpiece just enough such that the strings do not contact the rearward part of the bridge. This is a commonly accepted way to adjust this style of bridge/tailpiece assembly. You do NOT want the strings to touch the back of the bridge.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
Yes, you are probably right. It might cause some string breaking issues but I don't see why tuning issues would occur? You could lower the bridge just a tad until the strings are barely off the bridge. If you get string buzzing at that point you may need a bit more relief in the truss rod. None of this should mess up your intonation.
On the tuning issues, my thinking goes like this: Higher tension at the saddle means the string may not move as freely on the saddle hinge point, thus turning the tuning keys may produce that ping sound when a string is stuck at the nut or saddle.

I believe the tailpiece suggestion, if this guitar has one, is a good fix. If its string through body, then the bridge and neck adjustment will be in order.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Old 09-23-2011, 06:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcolosi View Post
You should be able to raise the tailpiece just enough such that the strings do not contact the rearward part of the bridge. This is a commonly accepted way to adjust this style of bridge/tailpiece assembly. You do NOT want the strings to touch the back of the bridge.
What he said. Just raise the tailpiece studs until the strings no longer touch the back of the bridge.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
Old 09-23-2011, 10:19 AM

It is a string thru body.

Thoughts?

Is this common?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
It is a string thru body.

Thoughts?

Is this common?
Don't know how common, but easy to see how it sould happen. Regardless of the string-thru-body thing I would follow the reccommendations given by B. Colossi.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:36 PM

Most guitars that have the Gibson style bridge also have the Gibson style tailpiece.

http://www.shopping.com/Gibson-Gibso...ar-Nickel/info

You say your guitar has the strings going through the body. What make and model of guitar is it? Can you lower the bridge without the strings buzzing? Is your intonation correct, and therefor is the saddle in the correct position? If you can't answer the last 2 questions perhaps you should take your guitar in for a professional set up.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Most guitars that have the Gibson style bridge also have the Gibson style tailpiece.

http://www.shopping.com/Gibson-Gibso...ar-Nickel/info

You say your guitar has the strings going through the body. What make and model of guitar is it? Can you lower the bridge without the strings buzzing? Is your intonation correct, and therefor is the saddle in the correct position? If you can't answer the last 2 questions perhaps you should take your guitar in for a professional set up.
I am too scared to do anything. It is a generic super strat with string through body. No trem. How much should the setup cost and what do i ask for?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars