The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Default Alvarez Artist Series AF770CESHB - Anyone?

I saw this guitar at a local GC and picked it up and tried it. I couldn't out it down. It played so nicely and sounded sparkly bright. I compared it side by side with a Taylor 114ce and though it sounded and played better than the Taylor. Am I crazy? I got home and googled it and cannot find a single review on this guitar anywhere! This makes me very skeptical. Also, it's not listed on Alvarez's website. What's the deal with this thing? Should I just put it out of my mind and move on? I really liked it a lot, but the lack of any info on it has me worried.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alvarez/...#productDetail
Old 03-19-2018, 09:07 AM

Sorry I can't say anything to that model but I just picked up a used AD60 and I am beyond impressed with its tone. Has a (better for me, don't like Taylors or MLO) C shaped neck, it is very responsive to where you place your pick like a much more expensive guitar, plenty of expressiveness on tap. Got mine for $100, I would have to spend $800-$1000 to "move up". Go there with cash, offer 15-20% less than sticker, you never know, and bring it home either way.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:12 AM

You are not crazy -- Alvarez makes rather nice guitars for the entry / middle market. Playing feel and tone are so personal........
I bought the Alvarez ABT610 baritone from MF/ GC on sale last November and have been pretty happy with it. They make a number of custom models for Guitar Center only, which is likely why you didn't find reviews. For example, the regular Alvarez baritone is the ABT60 but the GC version is the ABT610.

You played it and liked it - that is what really matters. If you think it is a serious candidate, make the extra effort and take your 114 along to play both in the store. There is nothing better than a direct A-B comparison with a known guitar. That has both saved me money (nah, it's not really as good as ____) and cost me money (wow, this is just as good as my _____) in the past.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatefulsob View Post
Sorry I can't say anything to that model but I just picked up a used AD60 and I am beyond impressed with its tone. Has a (better for me, don't like Taylors or MLO) C shaped neck, it is very responsive to where you place your pick like a much more expensive guitar, plenty of expressiveness on tap. Got mine for $100, I would have to spend $800-$1000 to "move up". Go there with cash, offer 15-20% less than sticker, you never know, and bring it home either way.
Does guitar center usually give you discounts for cash? Are you talking bills?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
You are not crazy -- Alvarez makes rather nice guitars for the entry / middle market. Playing feel and tone are so personal........
I bought the Alvarez ABT610 baritone from MF/ GC on sale last November and have been pretty happy with it. They make a number of custom models for Guitar Center only, which is likely why you didn't find reviews. For example, the regular Alvarez baritone is the ABT60 but the GC version is the ABT610.

You played it and liked it - that is what really matters. If you think it is a serious candidate, make the extra effort and take your 114 along to play both in the store. There is nothing better than an A-B comparison with a known guitar. That has both saved me money (nah, it's not really as good as ____) and cost me money (wow, this is just as good as my _____) in the past.
Maybe this is a GC only model, which would explain why it's not on their website. The weird thing is I couldn't find another Artist model that would be the equivalent. Maybe the AF60CESHB?

I think that's a good idea to take MY 114 and do a A/B comparison. Guitars can sound different in the GC guitar room vs at home. Or I can just buy it and do the A/B comparison at home, since GC is so good about returns.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Or I can just buy it and do the A/B comparison at home, since GC is so good about returns.
Even better - you can take your time, and try it on more than one day. I've had guitars that seemed to play effortlessly one day and gave my hand trouble another day. For a guitar that isn't easily returnable due to store policy (all sales final) I usually go back two or three times. I've also had certain examples that just "fit" me, while other nominally identical guitars did not feel or sound as good.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 AM

I had the same experience when I got my Washburn from Guitar Center.
I went to the Washburn website to get specs for the guitar only to find that it wasn't even listed on their inventory.

I called Washburn to see if I could get any info from a real person.
I did talk to a real person but was told that if the guitar came from Guitar Center, I would have to call them for info about the guitar.

I am amazed at the quality coming out of China.
These guitars are very good quality and sound fantastic.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:41 AM

If your interested grab it and take it home or take ur taylor in and try them side by side. I have 3 alvarez guitars and they are tough to beat. I don't think you will be disappointed in them and ive never seen one with any type of a major issue. I did have to have my MD90 set up after I owned it for a few years but almost any mass produced guitar will need a personal touch to fit the player. I personally do not care for taylor guitars but that is probably just me. To me though all my alvarez guitars sound better than any of the taylor guitars that ive played even though two of mine are not solids. Alvarez guitars keep impressing me. My only fault with them is they are made in China
Old 03-19-2018, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Maybe this is a GC only model, which would explain why it's not on their website. The weird thing is I couldn't find another Artist model that would be the equivalent. Maybe the AF60CESHB?

I think that's a good idea to take MY 114 and do a A/B comparison. Guitars can sound different in the GC guitar room vs at home. Or I can just buy it and do the A/B comparison at home, since GC is so good about returns.
The AF60CESHB is probably the closest match. The 70 series differs from the 60s in that it has rosewood back and sides vs. mahogany. The 70W series uses walnut.

I would think that to be a nice guitar. Might have to keep my eyes open for one myself!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:54 AM

If Alvarez follows the path of Washburn, you will not find any of their 2017
models with any Rosewood on them.
Washburn told me that they will no longer import their guitars to the USA if they have any Rosewood on them.
This is because of the cost of having the guitars CITES certified.

This has me wondering if they will start using synthetic materials like Richlite in place of Rosewood for fret boards and bridges.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:26 AM

L20A - they will likely start using walnut like Gibson does on their J15 model. To me the changes happening are not a bad thing. We will likely see more and more sustainable wood sources used on cheaper instruments allowing them to stay at a lower cost. Plus this will allow American/Canadian companies to compete easier. It also will allow (force) us to recognize that their are other tone woods that can be made to sound just as good and hog or rw. Martin already uses a composite on some of their fretboards. Not sure what it is but I did not like the feel of it on the ones I played
Old 03-19-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
The AF60CESHB is probably the closest match. The 70 series differs from the 60s in that it has rosewood back and sides vs. mahogany. The 70W series uses walnut.

I would think that to be a nice guitar. Might have to keep my eyes open for one myself!
I got confirmation from Alvarez that this is a "Guitar Center" only model.

He also said the are switching from rosewood to walnut for the back/sides on this line of guitars. Do you think that makes much difference when we are talking about laminates for back and sides?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
If Alvarez follows the path of Washburn, you will not find any of their 2017
models with any Rosewood on them.
Washburn told me that they will no longer import their guitars to the USA if they have any Rosewood on them.
This is because of the cost of having the guitars CITES certified.

This has me wondering if they will start using synthetic materials like Richlite in place of Rosewood for fret boards and bridges.
An Alavarez rep just told me they are switching from rosewood to walnut for the back/sides on this line.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Every Alvarez Artist Series guitar I have played has been outstanding. EVERY...SINGLE...ONE!

P.S.: The model you're considering is no longer made. Click here to see the current Artist Series guitars (look for the models beginning AF for the folk sized guitars). The current models come with the Baggs StagePro pickup (which is superior to the B Band pickup IMO), but if you like the specific guitar you've played, get it!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 03-19-2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 AM

My ADA1965 has a similar finish.
I’m betting it’s a GC only and it has an Artist series counterpart that is a different color.
I have a load of Alvarez guitars.
Every one of them is a keeper.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion