The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-11-2018, 05:53 AM

Default Paulino Bernabe Guitar - Opinion?

Has anyone had experience with Paulino Bernabe Guitar, especially their low end models? Paulino Bernabe guitars are not cheap even thought the entry models. Do they worth every penny in terms of sound quality and playability?
Thanks!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:44 AM

If you do a search elsewhere you will find a fair amount of discussion of them.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-16-2018 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 03-11-2018, 05:52 PM

Location: We are in Tucson, Arizona. https://www.zavaletas-guitarras.com

I have known the Bernabe family personally since 1997, stayed with them on numerous occasions when in Madrid, and have had 100s of their guitars go through my hands. As Paulino Bernabe US distributor, I would be happy to discuss his guitars with anyone, and provide accurate information.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavaletas View Post
I have known the Bernabe family personally since 1997, stayed with them on numerous occasions when in Madrid, and have had 100s of their guitars go through my hands. As Paulino Bernabe US distributor, I would be happy to discuss his guitars with anyone, and provide accurate information.
Which PB model has the best value in your honest opinion?
Old 03-14-2018, 11:39 AM

This is a hard question, value as bang for the buck, is a some point a game of diminishing returns in which one pays more and more for appreciable but small refinements--so in my opinion, among his shop line, probably the model 30. Among the guitars he makes himself, I would pick his PB concierto guitar.

If one were picking the best model then for his shop guitar it is the model 50, and for his own work his PB Royal.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:52 PM

I have a Bernabe m50. I find it sounds very even and has a mellow tone but notes are still clear. Fit and finish is very good. It is my best guitar with my Ramirez 1a 10 string a close second. Both are very nice actually. I haven't heard his less expensive models.
1992 Paulino Bernabe M-50
2005 Breedlove C-25 Northwest Classic
1968 Taurus model 56
2005 Dan Lankford 8 Course Renaissance Lute
old German Lute Guitar
1982 Yamaha G231 II
Old 04-06-2018, 12:44 PM

Could someone please school me on the model 15? From what I gathered it is a recent model (2016 on, I think?) that combined features from the retired model 5 and 10 and, unlike these two, is made in the Bernabé workshop by one of his luthiers.

Was this always the case or was there previously a different model 15, which was made in a different workshop for the Bernabé brand?

This confusion has arisen due to the wild difference in pricing that I'm finding for a new model 15 over stores in Europe, which goes from 3000 to 4200 which makes it seem like there must be two different versions going around. I can't recall any other new guitar, classical or otherwise, whose price varies so wildly. Variation between online stores, even in different countries, is usually minimal, no more than a couple of hundred euros, at most.

I'd appreciate it if someone could give some insight into this.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyse Hazuky View Post
Could someone please school me on the model 15? From what I gathered it is a recent model (2016 on, I think?) that combined features from the retired model 5 and 10 and, unlike these two, is made in the Bernabé workshop by one of his luthiers.

Was this always the case or was there previously a different model 15, which was made in a different workshop for the Bernabé brand?

This confusion has arisen due to the wild difference in pricing that I'm finding for a new model 15 over stores in Europe, which goes from 3000 to 4200 which makes it seem like there must be two different versions going around. I can't recall any other new guitar, classical or otherwise, whose price varies so wildly. Variation between online stores, even in different countries, is usually minimal, no more than a couple of hundred euros, at most.

I'd appreciate it if someone could give some insight into this.
Good questions, I got the same ones.
Old 04-08-2018, 03:43 PM

Default Model 15

Previously, the model 5, 10, and 20 were being made by the Esteve factory in Valencia for Paulino on his designs. For personal reasons, which had nothing to do with business, Paulino had a falling out with them, and after trying another factory in Valencia, decided to build this guitar in his Madrid workshop where he employees for fully qualified luthiers and a couple of assistants. (He continues to make his PB line in his home workshop, where he works alone). The decision to move production to Madrid, and to building with traditional, hand-made methods caused Paulino to rethink his model line. Gone are the factory models 5, 10, and 20. His new, hand built, line 15, 30, and 50 are all concert quality guitars. As he explained his decision to me, it simply does not pay to make "estudio" guitars as they involve almost the same amount of work as do concert guitars. The primary differences between his new line of guitars lies in the quality of materials, with the high models made from higher quality woods, and having better fittings (such as machines). When he went to these models in 2016, he used Indian rosewood in the model 15, and Madagascar in the others. As of January 2, 2017 all species not already on the CITES appendices of endangered species were listed in Appendix II, with the specific annotation that products made from these woods would require CITES permit to import and export. Within the UE as CITES is not required-- he has continued to sell guitars made with rosewood, the amount of time and cost that obtaining CITES permits and dealing the inevitable problems of CITES imports and inspections, have led me to ask that he find alternative non-CITES woods for the USA... I suspect that the differences in price between the US and Europe are in part a reflection of this difference. As well, while shipping in Europe is somewhat less, buyers in Europe must pay VAT taxes that run 20%-- but they also generally have higher operating costs-- rents, etc. and each dealer has his own operating margins, so there is some differences among Bernabe dealers in countries across Europe. My experience is Bernabe respects his dealers in different countries-- He regularly refers direct inquires that he receives from the US to me to handle.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:55 PM

^Thanks for the reply!

I had noticed your store's listings of back & sides for this model as macuaba, a wood I hadn't seen before, and now I know why.. also glad to know that, apart from the US version, there are no older version of the model 15 made in a different workshop, etc.

As for the prices I must assume, then, that it is a distribution issue. Main Bernabé dealers in Spain, Belgium and the UK have the model going for around 3000-3100 while dealers in Germany, Italy and the Netherlands have, first all, different prices for the cedar and spruce versions, with the cedar reaching up to 4200 euro.. (can't find an easy to navigate french dealer). I guess each makes its own margins !
Old 04-10-2018, 02:47 PM

Yes, Paulino makes the PB models in his workshop in his home, and all the other models are now made in his Madrid workshop. Pricing as you note varies a bit from country to country, due too differences in shipping, taxes, duties, overhead costs, etc.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:58 AM

Does 15 combines features from the retired model 5 and 10?
Old 04-12-2018, 06:04 PM

Although some details in size and proportions, general design, bracing patterns have analogs in his new line. The models 5 and 10 were estudio models, the model 15 is a true hand made concert guitar, so really should be thought of as superseding his earlier models-- both in quality of workmanship but also in choices of materials.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical