The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-07-2018, 07:50 PM

There is much to be said for playing a guitar in person knowing that you might be buying it. You look at them differently than when you are just on a general scouting trip. If you can, take along your 000-18 for direct comparison. That may speak volumes, especially against a CH-OM.

If you buy a model from stock you can return the Emerald, although you will pay the shipping charges both ways (about $160). It did take a leap of faith, as I had never actually seen an Emerald in person before I took a big chance and ordered one. But I really could not be happier. When her X7 gets here, we will take our time and evaluate everything -- no hurry -- but I can actually foresee the possibility of the Lucky 13 and the CA Cargo moving on next year. If you watch the classifieds here, Emerald's do pop up occasionally but never last very long.

FWIW I own a 2001 Rainsong WS-1000 bought new, a 2016 Lucky 13, and now a pair of Emeralds (2016 and 2017), plus the wife's CA Cargo. The X20 is my new favorite, and I don't think it is just a honeymoon phase. In fact, I need to log off here and go play it now.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

Earl will be burnt at the stake at sunrise ! LOL Way too logical Earl, you make good points though.

My X20 has displaced all others for me too, but a Rainsong OM would give you a different tone than you currently have. You should try a X20 before deciding if you haven't already.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

From personal experience (I've owned both) the Emerald X20 or the Rainsong Shorty would be my recommendations. Of the two I would say the Emerald. My custom X20 is much closer to my 000-18 than the Rainsong was. The Rainsong I had was the APLE model which was a really nice guitar for sure. If you've got the time and money, go with a custom X20 and get everything you want. That's what I did.

I've considered going all CF as well (although I don't live on a boat!). I still might some day. Right now I've got the two plus (like you) a little OF660 for travel. But between the two full size, it seems I'm reach for the X20 more and more due to the better amplified tone and even more so, the stability. When running through our set lists I tend to check tuning every time I change the capo position. Seems like the 000-18 always needs a tweak while the X20 is dead nuts.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I knew someone would catch that slip. It's new, but I don't want to jinx the delivery by revealing any more right now. Until I have a bird in the hand......

I got tracking info from Sean this morning, but it still doesn't show up in the AnPost system. All will be revealed in good time with a NGD post.
Congrats, Earl... or, should I say: Alice.

Shhhhh... we won't say anything.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Probably the closest CF equivalent to a 000-18 would be a CH-OM Rainsong. The hybrid unidirectional top would be the warmest and woodiest sounding, and the body size pretty comparable, with a traditional 000 shape. The CH-WS would be deeper, more like your dread (or even a bit deeper). Second choice would be a CA Ox, which are also reputed to sound more like wood guitars and are 000/OM size. You probably knew that, with a CA dreadnought already.

From Blackbird, you could get into El Capitan which is a small jumbo, pretty comparable in size, feel, and tone to a Taylor GA. But 25.5" is standard, so you might have to special order the shorter 24.75" scale, if that is even possible. Since you are looking to replace a 000-18 then I assume that a shorter scale like 24.75" is your preference. Or go with a 00 sized Lucky 13 -- if you can find one still in stock somewhere. Blackbird stopped taking orders for CF guitars last December, opting to specialize in ekoa. They have not [yet] come out with a comparable replacement ekoa model sized between El Capitan and Savoy.

I should also mention the Emerald X20, or the X7 if you want to go smaller still and down to 24" scale. Both are wonderful guitars and quite comfortable to play. I now own X20 Artisan in both six string and short-scale twelve string, and (shhh....) an X7 Artisan is actually in transit right now.
I am tempted by both A custom woody X20 as well as the El Capitan with burst. Can anyone compare the 2 for me? I understand wait time, but not a problem. Just few and far between to be able to try one. From what i can tell , if i wasn't happy with either that I could easily find a buyer,but would rather avoid that possibility.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:17 AM

I think either a Rainsong CH-OM, Blackbird Lucky 13/Savoy, or McPherson Sable would complete your collection. Are you sure you want to go all carbon? You might want to consider keeping one wood(even if it is cheaper guitar).
Old 03-08-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
I am tempted by both a custom woody X20 as well as the El Capitan with burst. Can anyone compare the 2 for me? I understand wait time, but not a problem. Just few and far between to be able to try one. From what i can tell , if i wasn't happy with either that I could easily find a buyer,but would rather avoid that possibility.
X20 will sound more like a warmer mahogany 000 guitar, and El Capitan will sound more like a spruce topped Taylor. But [insert big grain of salt here] that is just my acoustic memory and impressions from critically listening and playing an El Capitan a couple of years ago. Everyone hears tone differently.

The woody part won't affect the tone, at least as far as I can tell (or have ever heard). But they sure are pretty.......
Old 03-08-2018, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Having lived on a boat, and enjoying the company of some CF guitars, I totally get this. Well, except for that "final" part.

There are a lot of great CF guitar options... sound/tone differences, size, comfort. I have to agree with Earl and others who have given a nod to the X20; while close to the size of your CA Legacy, you will likely find it feels even more comfortable. And great tone. If I had to narrow it down to one guitar, my X20 would be the one... with three as your goal, this one deserves some consideration.

Have fun with this "final" () search!
Old 03-08-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
With all you said...Why?
The biggest difference between the Shorty and the CH-OM is the matte finish on the back, sides, and back of the neck; and the use of an LR Baggs pickup/preamp versus Fishman. I prefer the matte neck on my CH-WS over the gloss neck on my Shorty, and I'd call the LR Baggs/Fishman change a wash. So it's not a terribly big difference, just prefer the matte neck on the CH series.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:59 PM

I think the CH-OM would add a new sound in a reasonable size(boat) and at a very nice price point. Ditto the Lucky 13 if you can find one.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I think the CH-OM would add a new sound in a reasonable size(boat) and at a very nice price point. Ditto the Lucky 13 if you can find one.
Going to try a CH-OM this weekend. Will see.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmsstrider01 View Post
Going to try a CH-OM this weekend. Will see.
You are going to really really yes... really like it... you have been warned... just warnin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-08-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
The biggest difference between the Shorty and the CH-OM is the matte finish on the back, sides, and back of the neck; and the use of an LR Baggs pickup/preamp versus Fishman. I prefer the matte neck on my CH-WS over the gloss neck on my Shorty, and I'd call the LR Baggs/Fishman change a wash. So it's not a terribly big difference, just prefer the matte neck on the CH series.
Hey MiG50. You have good taste in guitars....and....necks.

Well since you are already a fellow Shorty owner, there is a work around to your situation. Like you, I prefer a satin neck and I'm not worried about modifications to my guitar- this Shorty isn't going anywhere. Wanna turn that full gloss Shorty NS neck to a satin finish without breaking the bank? See below.....

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-09-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
You are going to really really yes... really like it... you have been warned... just warnin'
Now , I am worried. 3 "Really's" !
Old 03-09-2018, 09:45 AM

The Scotchbrite trick is a good one. It has enough "grit" to break the glossy glaze, but not enough to cut through the clear coat. When my custom X20-12 was nearing completion, I emailed Sean about glossy versus satin necks, because the topic came up here. He replied that they do all necks in glossy, and then "satin" the neck with sandpaper in the final prep stage. I've used Scotchbrite on a couple of other non-CF guitar necks that have been polished by play wear.

Not relevant, but Scotchbrite can also make a stainless steel sink look brand again new too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber