The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-11-2017, 09:32 AM

Default Recording a nylon string guitar

Anyone use a mic technique different than their steel string methods?

Did my first recording of my new Taylor on Friday, and because of time constraints, didn't have time to experiment, so I just set up an LDC 6-9" away from fret 12, but aimed it a little more towards the soundhole than I normally would.
The nylon string rhythm part (semi-picked/strummed) is accompanying the main piano part (arpeggiated), and seemed to mesh okay.
Then I did a lead part on the nylon string, and realized playing on the upper strings (5th to 12th frets) clashed with the piano part, so ended up using only the bottom 4 strings for the lead part. Initial mixing, I've thrown a compressor on the lead part, and may put a second one on the track, too.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Off hand I would record about the same as for a flattop but small changes in mike position often have big changes
in sound, and also off hand tuning mismatches (intonation perhaps of the guitar on the treble) of instruments can
cause less than satisfactory results. Post a recording of what you are talking about.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-11-2017, 10:34 AM

If it's in a non-classical context, I usually like a single dynamic fairly close. Even if the steel-string acoustic guitars were done with condensers, a dynamic on nylon seems to be a better fit, with no annoying high-end "tink." Sounds goofy, but you might try it.

I usually use a Sennheiser 421, but any decent dynamic should give similar results.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 12-12-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:24 PM

I can place the mic or mics considerably further away from a good classical guitar than I can a steel-string.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Rick...mic placement is usually better a bit farther away than with a steel string acoustic.

One other point, most released classical guitar recordings tend to exhibit a fair amount of large hall reverb, whether natural or added at mixdown. It's easier for a classical guitar recording to sound like those if reverb like that is used.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:56 AM

This isn't 'classical guitar' though, it's rock/ballad with finger-played nylon string.
The volume level was quite a bit lower than when I record my steel string guitars, hence the close positioning.
I'll try a dynamic mic next time and see how it goes.

The 'clashing' of the lead part was not due to tuning, but the same frequency range so that both interfered with each other. This was more noticeable than when I add a steel string lead to a piano tune, but the arpeggiated part may have also been part of the issue.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-12-2017, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
This isn't 'classical guitar' though, it's rock/ballad with finger-played nylon string.
The volume level was quite a bit lower than when I record my steel string guitars, hence the close positioning.

The 'clashing' of the lead part was not due to tuning, but the same frequency range so that both interfered with each other. This was more noticeable than when I add a steel string lead to a piano tune, but the arpeggiated part may have also been part of the issue.
Link to the actual recording would be helpful more than a just a description.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-12-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Here's a countryish ballad with mixed nylon and steel string. The steel string was cut with and LDC, the nylon with either an up-close Sennheiser 421 or an EV 666, I forget which. At the top it's mostly the plain nylon strings. At the end of the bridge, around 1:20, it's in a lower register with more wound-string stuff.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD