The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 06:47 PM

Thanks Fred, I have had some work done there before. I will give them a call
Old 03-19-2018, 06:50 PM

I'll give Harry a call too, seems to fix this it needs to be sanded down and re-sprayed? or is the visual crack there to stay, you can hardly see it unless you look, breaks my heart
Old 03-19-2018, 06:52 PM

It isn't following a grain line, so that would lead me to believe it is a finish crack.

The picture is so large it may be exaggerating it, but is there evidence of impact damage at the bottom end of the top, where the crack starts?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:01 PM

Don't kick yourself too much. My guess is that the cold was not the culprit by itself, but the guitar was borderline dry to begin with and the cold just "finished the job" on an already stressed top. Not my first choice, but I have taken guitars in the unheated back of my pickup truck driving from Anchorage to Fairbanks in the winter (-40°F all day). But I let them warm up for 24 hours before opening the case, and they were properly humidified to begin with.

Cracks like this usually close up pretty tight once the guitar spends a week or more at 50% or 60% RH. Then it can be glued and cleated on the inside. It may be that finish touch-up is needed in the end. Nitrocellulose is easy for a good shop, but if Breedlove uses UV-cured polyurethane, that is a specialty fix. (I simply don't know what they use). In the meantime, resist the urge to touch the crack. You are only depositing oil and gunk from your skin which will make the repair even harder.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:38 PM

It will likely close up once you get some humidity back in the wood but get it repaired with some cleats and it should never crack again. I had my Alvarez MD60 done a number of years ago and it's been fine ever since and the tone is still beautiful.

It may have been too dry before you left it in your car. Guitars get shipped in freezing cold trucks all the time and don't crack.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:24 PM

What is pictured here?

The huge pics earlier in the thread are showing a big crack wandering the full length of the top.

The pic at the end, no crack.

Is the last pic the guitar before? Or after rehumidification?

Looks a lot better than my old D18, which has two repaired cracks, and sounds wonderful.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM

I am confused as well, the first pictures showed a long crack that looked like it followed the grain of the top. The last doesn’t appear to have a crack that I can see?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:55 PM

There is a two part video by Bob Taylor on a guitar with seriously cracked back and top that he just humidified over a period of time and then some glue of the top.

Part 1 is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8tELj43RE

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 03-19-2018, 11:44 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mz-s View Post
I see the crack on the other forum.

There is a high likelihood that this crack will close up when the guitar humidifies again, presumably it was cold and dry outside in your car and it dried out.

Once the guitar humidifies again the crack will close up. Either it will close up fully, or with only a slight finish repair necessary.

<<snip>>

This is not even remotely true, or even possible.

A crack in the wood will not "close up", nor will lacquer checking.

A proper repair will compress the top, applying pressure to minimize the crack, and then it will be cleated from underneath/inside the guitar.

The finish is another problem, once the crack is cleated.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-20-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
A crack in the wood will not "close up"
It certainly will, but still needs to be repaired by cleating or it will 'open up' again if it dries out.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

From the pics, it looks to follow the grain line (for the most part) and appears to be a crack...but again, I'm just going by what I see in the pics. The good news is, a competent repair person will put a little glue in there and when they are done, you might be hard-pressed to find it. Depending on how severe the crack is (if it's a crack) and whether it's all the way through, it may not even need cleated. It shouldn't cost too much at all.

I know it's water over the dam, but for future reference, if it was left out in your car overnight in freezing temperatures, 4-hours probably wasn't adequate acclimation time. Always best to err on the side of caution, and slow steady acclimation is generally best. I'm not saying it would've made a difference, but it may have?

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 03-20-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:20 AM

Default Crack

If you humidify the guitar the crack may close up, it may not. If it's rh related it may, if it was temp related it probably won't.

Get thee to a competent luthier, sir. He'll be able to ***** it for you.

From the pix, it does not appear to be a seam, but a crack along a grain line. It should be easy to close and cleat, but Breedlove has used a catalyzed poly finish for a long time. It may be hard to blend the repaired finish, again a competent luthier can address that for you.

BTW, I love the old flying "B" logo!
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 AM

Aaron Belyea at the Music Box in Plymouth is a genius with repairs.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 03-20-2018, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

The crack may close when humidified, but it can't heal itself. To remain closed, it will need to be glued. Having the two sides of the crack in contact doesn't mean the crack is gone.

As others have said, a good repair person can fix this up without too much trouble. Do it sooner rather than later as the more crud that gets into the crack, the tougher the job gets.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:11 AM

Let me just add......that sucks - sorry that happened. I could easily see me doing something like that. Having just dinged my guitar and knowing how that made me feel, I'm sure this one hurts more.
On the flip side - it certainly sounds like you can get it back to playing and sounding like it used to.
Best of luck - hang in there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion