The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 12:04 AM

Default Taylor PS16ce vs Replica Video (I made)

I post this with plenty of trepidation, for fear there will be anger on both sides of the fence, but I'm also curious to see what folks think.

You'll hear the story in the video, but the gist is that I found myself with both a real and a replica Taylor PS16ce Presentation Series and thought it would be interesting to compare them up close.

Many (most?) among you know vastly more about guitar construction than I do, so I'll be interested to hear about the gaps and lapses in what I say, if you're willing to share.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:05 PM

I think you shouldn't bye Chinese knockoffs that have a different company’s branding on the headstock.
If it didn't say Taylor it would be fine

Last edited by nedley; 03-19-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:56 PM

Remarkable job done on both guitars, it must be said. Really nice shell and woods on the Chaylor...you don't even get that quality on guitars 3-4x the price in the US.

I fear what would happen to the North American market if an Asian company was able to make quality, world class guitars at those prices. I mean the craftsmanship and cheap labor is there. Just need a guy at the helm who has proper knowledge and knows how to create a great guitar.

Eastman is up there, but now where near the level of the heavyweights in the US
Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 PM

Wow, Definitely higher craftsmanship in the real Taylor but an impressive replica for the price. I am shocked they actually put a Taylor badge and serial on there!
Old 03-19-2018, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

The abalone work on the Taylor isn’t to do w better craftsmanship, Taylor uses the Kevin Ryan Shelltec strips.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
You'll hear the story in the video, but the gist is that I found myself with both a real and a replica Taylor PS16ce Presentation Series and thought it would be interesting to compare them up close.
"Replica" doesn't have the same negative connotation that "counterfeit" does. I guess it's a replica when the seller tells you it's fake, and it's a counterfeit when he doesn't.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Well, I'm not an expert in differing cultures.

I sense that intellectual property and the "ownership" of ideas is not a really strong belief when trying to scrape out a basic living.

The idea that you can go to a country and buy a CD with $5000 software on it (with the licensing restriction cracked) for the $1 cost of the plastic CD illustrates this point. In that context, intangibles are not viewed as property.

Even putting someone else's brand name on a designer item might be seen as a service (people just want an item with that word on it - they don't want to pay for the knowledge that it was actually made by that designer).

And I think when it is done maliciously or with deliberate intent to deceive it is particularly perplexing. We value honesty and integrity but given the above context, the "importance" we place on the pedigree of something is seen as inconsequential.

I get very visceral about counterfeits but I think it's an interesting socio-psychological phenomenon.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-20-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
"Replica" doesn't have the same negative connotation that "counterfeit" does. I guess it's a replica when the seller tells you it's fake, and it's a counterfeit when he doesn't.
Nah... this is a counterfeit and illegal. This forum should not condone this video. OP should do the guitar industry a solid and delete all of this as it just brings more awareness to this garbage.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purfle Haze View Post
This is intended to be *ironic.*
Old 03-20-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgraveline View Post
Nah... this is a counterfeit and illegal. This forum should not condone this video. OP should do the guitar industry a solid and delete all of this as it just brings more awareness to this garbage.
Bringing awareness is one of my goals in making the video. The guitars will still be sold if I delete the video and post, but that many fewer people will be aware of it.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Bringing awareness is one of my goals in making the video. The guitars will still be sold if I delete the video and post, but that many fewer people will be aware of it.
The people that buy them don't care, they'll buy them no matter what. The people that don't buy them don't care, they won't buy them no matter what. You are preaching to nobody.

rct
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Here is all the info you need
about promoting counterfeits

Quote:
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Last Published: 7/22/2016
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) investigates criminal counterfeiting, piracy, and other federal crimes. You can report suspicions concerning the manufacture or sale of counterfeit or pirated goods to the FBI by contacting your local FBI Office, or or calling (202) 324-3000 and asking to speak with the Duty Complaint Agent. If you suspect products for sale on the Internet are counterfeit or pirated, you can report your suspicions to the FBI Internet Fraud Complaint Center.

Intellectual property crime, such as copyright piracy, trademark counterfeiting, or Internet fraud, like any other crime, should be reported to appropriate law enforcement investigative authorities at the local, state, federal, or international levels, depending on the scope of the crime. Citizens or companies aware of federal crimes should report them to local offices of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The FBI has offices throughout the United States. In general, federal crimes may be reported to the local FBI office by a telephone call and by requesting the Duty Complaint Agent.

Contact information regarding these local offices can be found at:
U.S. Department of Justice
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Phone: (202) 324-3000

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I post this with plenty of trepidation, for fear there will be anger on both sides of the fence, but I'm also curious to see what folks think.

Many (most?) among you know vastly more about guitar construction than I do, so I'll be interested to hear about the gaps and lapses in what I say, if you're willing to share.

I think you're video does a great job pointing out how to spot a fake! Would have like to have heard some playing on each to compare the sound qualities, but then again that would just be giving the fake more spotlight than it probably deserves.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Replica in my mind is either a reduced size or clearly mentioned replica on the item.
The Chinese is a duplicate.
It's so bad/good that you can fool someone who's not familiar with real brand.
This shouldn't even be allowed to enter US market with Taylor logo and sticker.
It should at least have replica written on the sticker.

As far as quality wise, labor/material etc... are more than 10x cheaper in China so obviously same quality guitar or a toy will be much expensive to make here.
Value wise, customers benefit by having things built in cheap labor countries.
Now a teenager can have a $10k Taylor for 5% of the money and brag in front of his friends.

However, this is a direct duplicate and there should be some laws to prevent it but in today's $$$ minded economy, $$$ comes first.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:31 PM

I had a 335 replica (fake) that I got from a guy on Craigslist that I took on as a project to see if I could make it into a 'good' guitar. I swapped out all the wiring/tuners/bridge/etc, frets crowned, setup, etc...and it was a pretty darn good guitar....but still a fake.

I ended up having the headstock cap replaced with an ebony blank, and donating the guitar to a local HS jazz band. It's a good guitar, but I didn't want anybody being misled that it was a Gibson.

I don't have an issue with Chinese/Indonesian-built guitars - Gretsch, Fender, Yamaha, Epiphone, Eastman and others are all building high-quality instruments there. I have an Eastman E40-OM that's a killer guitar. But I have a real issue with fakes. I won't ever get another. There are too many good non-fake guitars to wear a label that isn't deserved.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-23-2018 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion