The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-18-2018, 04:21 PM

Dropped, in the context of dropping a new product onto the market, is pretty old in marketing-speak. The same word used in production-speak means removal of a product from the market place. My experience with production and marketing efforts paints them as antagonists, so the word's conflicting usage fits.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:42 PM

So in 2009 Martin dropped the Grand J12-40E Special onto the market and 3 years later they dropped it again - from production.

Just doesn't sound right to me... but there you go.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-18-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Probably for the same reason the QWERTY keyboard exists- if it was too easy...
Actually, QWERTY and the rest of the "standard" keyboard layout came about because typists were getting too fast. The mechanical typewriter would get tangled up, because the keys could not get back out of each other's way in time.

There are plenty of oddities in language, particularly American English. And the state of modern grammar education is abysmal at best. "Too" versus "to".... "regardless" versus "irregardless"...... "alot" versus "a lot" or "allot"...... English teachers from the past two centuries must be spinning in their graves these days. (Do you know what THAT phrase refers to)?

What gets me is that modern railroads tracks are spaced apart based on the width of a horse's behind. It dates back to Egyptian and then Roman chariot days, and that wheel spacing on dirt tracks and then roads has propagated down through the millennia. Go figure. And don't get me started on Daylight Saving Time. We get a fixed number of day and night hours in the course of a year -- you cannot save up hours -- and clocks are an artificial construct. Noon could just as well be called purple, or Dexter.

Thanks for letting me vent. [stepping off my soap box now]
Old 03-18-2018, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Actually, QWERTY and the rest of the "standard" keyboard layout came about because typists were getting too fast. The mechanical typewriter would get tangled up, because the keys could not get back out of each other's way in time.

There are plenty of oddities in language, particularly American English. And the state of modern grammar education is abysmal at best. "Too" versus "to".... "regardless" versus "irregardless"...... "alot" versus "a lot" or "allot"...... English teachers from the past two centuries must be spinning in their graves these days. (Do you know what THAT phrase refers to)?

What gets me is that modern railroads tracks are spaced apart based on the width of a horse's behind. It dates back to Egyptian and then Roman chariot days, and that wheel spacing on dirt tracks and then roads has propagated down through the millennia. Go figure. And don't get me started on Daylight Saving Time. We get a fixed number of day and night hours in the course of a year -- you cannot save up hours -- and clocks are an artificial construct. Noon could just as well be called purple, or Dexter.

Thanks for letting me vent. [stepping off my soap box now]
That is what I was referring to with the QWERTY keyboard. I figured that most people knew about that so I didn't state it, instead choosing to simply refer to it.

With language, I was implying that it would be too easy for us to understand each other if our language was straightforward. That was my connecting the QWERTY keyboard to language. With a single word having many different meanings, it can be difficult to truly understand what another person is saying at times. There is probably more miscommunication than communication. We see it all the time here in the forums. I suspect that is one reason people talk about the weather or sports, just to have something meaningless to fill there need to communicate, rather than trying to get in depth and then struggle getting points across.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-18-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Afterthunk :

Why can't American say AL-UM-IN-IUM properly?

Why do guitars in the USA have to be "accilmated" instead of acclimatised?
How about Jagwire (ugh) instead of Jag-u-ar (British) or American "Jag-war"
Then there is Tie-o-ta (sometimes Tie-o-ty) for Toyota.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic