The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-27-2012, 03:25 PM

Default G&l asat z-3

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...z3/enlarge.asp

Does anyone have one? Or have experience with one of these? If so, your thoughts and assessments please.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 05-27-2012, 04:38 PM

I've not had the ASAT, but I have had the Z coils in a Commanche, and I bought a second loaded pickguard, and stuck them in a legacy because I enjoyed them so much. They are GREAT for driving pedals. The pedals sound like themselves, not a gibson through a fill in the blank pedal, or a Fender through a fill in the blank pedal. Great sound clean as well through an Amp.

It's kind of like playing a Jaguar in that if you want to plug in and turn your tone knob to ten, there are better choices than Z coils. If it's your first Electric they aren't the most forgiving in terms of tone. But if you have had a few guitars, and aren't of the "these go to 11" mentality, they are great.

Be prepared for lots of questions when you play one out.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:55 PM

Thanks Blue ... yeah, I've played for a long time and have had a number of electrics over the years ... currently I have a MIM Deluxe Tele and an AmDlx Strat (HSS) ... oh, and a 1976 Les Paul Deluxe that one of my sons is taking care of right now ...

I have heard a lot about G&L guitars but as of yet haven't test driven them ... there's a good shop in my area that carries some of them off and on so I am going to see if I can try them out ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 05-27-2012, 07:03 PM

You'll find a lot of variations on the neck. Minimal machine, and lots of hand shaping. But I feel very similarly with G&Ls as I do to Taylors and Larrivees. So consistent in quality that I don't worry about buying used sight unseen after all the right questions are asked. And with an electric that always includes truss rod questions...
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I also have a Commanche with z coil pickups. I bought it off eBay about 9-10 years ago ... Great guitar.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 PM

As do I...

Also used to own this (1 of only 10) ASAT Z-2...

And like the prior posters, I'd heartily recommend you try a G&L fitted with z-coils.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars