The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Yamaha THR30IIA or Yamaha THR30II
Yamaha THR30IIA 7 63.64%
Yamaha THR30II 4 36.36%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2021, 02:59 AM

Default Yamaha thr30iiA vs Yamaha thr30ii

Yamaha comes up with a new model for acoustic guitar, which is called Yamaha THR30iiA, with additional XLR input and a few modes for acoustic guitar. However, the older model Yamaha THR30ii did contain one acoustic mode and is more versatile (Can work with electric guitar and bass). I'm kind of struggling in between and would like to seek advice for making the decision. What d0 you guys think?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 03-21-2021, 05:13 AM

I just bought a 10ii a couple months ago before the 30iia came out. I want the 30iia. If you plan on using a bass or electric through the 30iia you could use pedals. Working the (tone blend when set to "flat"?) gain knob will get you some nice crunch tones, and if your pickups are hot enough, you may even get some distortion. Also, having the stereo line out will be a great feature.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 03-21-2021 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I just bought a 10ii a couple months ago before the 30iia came out. I want the 30iia. If you plan on using a bass or electric through the 30iia you could use pedals. Working the (tone blend when set to "flat"?) gain knob will get you some nice crunch tones, and if your pickups are hot enough, you may even get some distortion. Also, having the stereo line out will be a great feature.
Could I ask what pedals you would suggest for bass or electric guitar through Yamaha THR30iia?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 03-22-2021, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Could I ask what pedals you would suggest for bass or electric guitar through Yamaha THR30iia?
For electric, a drive/overdrive pedal. For bass, an envelope filter.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:26 PM

I found a good deal on a THR30iiA on eBay. It should be here by the end of the week. I'm imagining living room concerts...though I'm not sure if my wife is up to it. She's heard me playing way more than she wants since covid!
Old 03-22-2021, 02:28 PM

I have the THR30ii and it works wonderfully well as an acoustic amp. It's just missing the mic channel for singing. I'll keep the 30ii for my electrics.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have the THR30ii and it works wonderfully well as an acoustic amp. It's just missing the mic channel for singing. I'll keep the 30ii for my electrics.
Ya, I kind of thinking this fit my case better as it works for a/e. Guitars ans bass. Just want to know more about the new acoustic version to see any new features I would like to have desperately

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 03-24-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Ya, I kind of thinking this fit my case better as it works for a/e. Guitars ans bass. Just want to know more about the new acoustic version to see any new features I would like to have desperately

Unless you care about the ultra-wide effect or the nylon model, the regular THR30ii is just as good as an acoustic amp.

The mic preamp is the advantage to the A model.

The mic channel means that you have have the absolutely smallest portable PA for small spaces in existence. At any kind of house or backyard pool party, that can be the coolest thing!

Also, the line outs means that you can use it with an external powered speaker for more coverage. Almost every club has some sort of a speaker system. Pointing it at yourself and sending the sound to one or two speakers on sticks is a very viable PA system.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:40 PM

Thank you for your information. I trend to get the Yamaha THR30ii more since more options on electric guitar, also for the bass as I have other amp for acoustic guitar and mic.

About Yamaha THR30ii, if I would like to line out to PA system, do I still need to use Direct box with Cab simulation?

About Yamaha THR30iia, do you think it's loud enough for busking purpose?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by douglasfan1; 03-24-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

I bought the THR30ii for use with my electrics, thinking mostly for recording. It also works great to run a line (or two) out to a PA. I have been really impressed with the tones out of this small amp. For grins, I tried the acoustic setting with one of my acoustics with a piezo - sounds really good! To my ear, better than using the BodyRez on the Play Acoustic pedal.

While I play more acoustic than electric, I haven't felt the need for the 30iiA.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:23 PM

Still on the fence on the 30iia. I love the form factor and features, except for the lack of phantom power. I like to use a Soyuz Launcher with my mic and wouldn't be able to do that with this amp. Ah, compromises....
Old 04-02-2021, 09:09 PM

I found one on eBay that was listed as new, but about $80 cheaper. It came the other day and looked like it had never been opened. But it only went up to about a quarter of the volume of the acoustic preset on my regular THR30ii.

I took it to the nearest factory authorized service center (which was about 50 miles away) and there it sits. I have no doubt they will fix it (eventually).

I guess sometimes the lowest price isn't the best deal.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:15 AM

I have the THR5A, and it's great, so I guess the THR30IIA is fantastic... for acoustic guitar! But is it really usable for vocals with those small speakers?!?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification