The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2021, 11:14 AM

Default Boss VE-8 question regarding harmony and recording

Hello all,

I recently purchased a Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer. So far I like it, but I'm having a couple problems and I thought maybe the more experience here can help me out. Thanks for the consideration.

1. I like the harmonizer, but I can't play it without my mic (Rode NT1 Condenser Cardioid pattern) picking up the chords and harmonizing them. Of course, this ends up sounding terrible. Do I have to buy a new mic with more focused pattern or is there a way around this?

2. When using the VE-8 as an audio interface, I'm not able to record the guitar and vocals as two separate channels (at the same time) for proper post mixing. I've gone through all the output options, but I think it only outputs in stereo via the USB cable and that doesn't change regardless of how the XLR/Line outputs are configured. Am I missing something here?

I've read through the manual and can't solve these "issues." Thanks for the help.

God Bless,
David
Old 01-30-2021, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos View Post
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Boss VE-8 Acoustic Singer. So far I like it, but I'm having a couple problems and I thought maybe the more experience here can help me out. Thanks for the consideration.

1. I like the harmonizer, but I can't play it without my mic (Rode NT1 Condenser Cardioid pattern) picking up the chords and harmonizing them. Of course, this ends up sounding terrible. Do I have to buy a new mic with more focused pattern or is there a way around this? ...
I'm unfamiliar with the output recording options, but use the harmonizer from time to time. There are two ways that it harmonizes: By basing it off the chords, or by telling it the key of the song. I can't tell you exactly how to set it for the latter but it's in the manual. (I've never done it that way).Moving from song to song, that's obviously more work.

When you say but I can't play it without my mic (Rode NT1 Condenser Cardioid pattern) picking up the chords and harmonizing them, are you using a pickup for your guitar and the Rode for your vocal, and you're saying the Rode is messing it up by adding another route for the guitar chords that is confusing the VE-8?

In any case, my Rode NT1-A is very sensitive and when using it as a vocal mic, I can't imagine any way to completely isolate it from the guitar right below it. A quick check shows the cardioid patterns for your NT1 and my 1-A are the same. And since they're not super- or hyper-cardioid, kinda worst case if you're trying to isolate.

(this thread may end up being moved to the recording category, fyi, but a fair amount of live performers use the VE-8).

Last edited by Chriscom; 01-30-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
In any case, my Rode NT1-A is very sensitive and when using it as a vocal mic, I can't imagine any way to completely isolate it from the guitar right below it....
Yeah, I figured it out today. My NT1 is too sensitive and the position of it (sitting vertical with the diaphragm perpendicular to the floor) easily captures the guitar chords.

I forgot I had an inexpensive SHS OM 500 (copy of Shure SM-58 dynamic mic). I positioned it pointing up and away from the guitar and that kept the chords from bleeding into it. Harmonizer works great now (except for me not be able to stay on pitch ). I refuse to use the voice correct feature.

Here is a short song after playing around with the VE-8 today. Guitar is a Taylor 812CE 12 Fret.

VE-8 Settings:
Guitar
Acoustic Resonance - Mild
Reverb - Hall 1
Chorus

Voice
Reverb - Hall 1
Slight EQ boost in bass
High and Low Harmony

God Bless,
David

Last edited by Apostolos; 01-31-2021 at 03:41 AM.
Old 01-31-2021, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing! Sounds good to me and you have the right idea as far as using just a touch of the harmonizer is concerned. Too much, and its artificial qualities are a let-down.

I've had some odd harmonies at times and it can be for a bunch of reasons. For starters I think I have a defective unit, long boring story. But for sure it has a harder time keying off complex or non-standard chords. And yes, if you happen to sing a note particularly off-key all it can do is give you its best shot.

I refuse to use the voice correct feature.

Same! Partly on principle, partly because it sounds weird to me anyway.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! Sounds good to me...
Thanks. It's a pretty song.

Quote:
I've had some odd harmonies at times and it can be for a bunch of reasons.
I have the harmony "accurate" parameter set to the default 10, which is the most unforgiving with pitch accuracy. I might have to rethink that .

The direct level is still at the factory default giving the direct mic/voice the greatest presence. I'll keep that the same.

I'm still not sure about the full vs hybrid harmony setting. Full goes by the guitar progression played and hybrid uses guitar progression and key designation. I'm using full in the recording above. I'll have to keep trying them both and see which one is more consistent. Song selection might be a factor as well.

There is also an off setting that is suggested for use without a guitar. It's exclusively by key signature at that point. I might try that when I use a piano accompaniment.

This is a very cool piece of equipment. I'm happy with it so far.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by Apostolos; 01-31-2021 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-02-2021, 03:55 AM

Another experiment with harmony on the VE-8. This time I selected the hybrid option where both chord and key are used. I think this is more accurate. There are still some discrepancies, but I think that's more the result of the human variable.

For the harmony I tried the high and higher this time (Low and High before). All other settings are the same.

God Bless,
David
Old 02-02-2021, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Default VE-8 livestream recording.

Quote:
Another experiment with harmony on the VE-8. This time I selected the hybrid option where both chord and key are used. I think this is more accurate. There are still some discrepancies, but I think that's more the result of the human variable.

For the harmony I tried the high and higher this time (Low and High before). All other settings are the same.

God Bless,
David
Both your audio streams sound pretty good! I’ve tried to integrate the VE-8 with my livestreams since last March. Chriscom helped.

Right now I’m using a Zoom iQ7 about 12-15” from my Eon One and about level with bass module and arrays. Experimenting is fun and sometimes you don’t get the ideal results.

I’m just trying to make my livestreams palatable...lol😂

Here’s one from last week (harmonizer low/high)

https://youtu.be/RVnUMTKnAzQ

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 02-02-2021, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike4mus6 View Post
Here’s one from last week (harmonizer low/high)
Nice job Mike! And what are you using for your camera? That video image is so sharp I was afraid my glasses would break!
Old 02-03-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I refuse to use the voice correct feature.
Using the voice correct feature can actually help you become a better singer. When you're off key and the box fixes it, you can really hear it in your head and move your voice to the correct pitch. Over time your pitch will improve and you can turn it off. It's just a tool like everything else and the audience only hears the corrected pitch. Or just use it at home as a training tool.

I haven't looked at the manual for a few weeks, but I thought you could separate guitar and vocals through the XLRs. Could be wrong. In my live setup, I do separate the signals so my vocal comes out the XLR ane guitar through 1/4".
Old 02-03-2021, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Using the voice correct feature can actually help you become a better singer. When you're off key and the box fixes it, you can really hear it in your head and move your voice to the correct pitch. Over time your pitch will improve and you can turn it off. It's just a tool like everything else and the audience only hears the corrected pitch. Or just use it at home as a training tool.
That's good idea. Practice with the pitch correction on for vocal training, but record/perform with it off. Thanks for that input. I had not considered it.

Quote:
I haven't looked at the manual for a few weeks, but I thought you could separate guitar and vocals through the XLRs. Could be wrong. In my live setup, I do separate the signals so my vocal comes out the XLR ane guitar through 1/4".
The signals can be separated via the XLR/Lin outputs, but not when running them through the USB output for recording. The USB out seems to only carry stereo or mono, but it always combines both vocal and guitar into one track. I have to run through a separate USB interface if I want to separate the vocal/guitar into two tracks. Let me know if you figure out how to do it through USB. Thanks.

God bless,
David
Old 02-03-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Video

Quote:
Nice job Mike! And what are you using for your camera? That video image is so sharp I was afraid my glasses would break!
Thank you Chris!

Been using iPhone XR which is been perfect for any video needs.
Phot lights behind give the brightness.

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 03-30-2021, 09:33 AM

Love this piece of gear. Best piece of gear I bought in a while.

Reverb, delay, chorus, acoustic resonance, etc. You can add so much color to your sound.

God bless,
David
Old 04-02-2021, 09:38 AM

Perhaps you might want to review your hesitation to use the pitch control. I also thought I had no need of it, but after using it for a bit I find that it helped me. After some time I find that I do not really need it, but it did help my vocals. The closer you are to not needing the pitch control, the better it will sound as it is not needing as much correction. Eventually I was able to turn it off as I was learning the correct pitch. I do believe it can be a nice tool to learn with.
Hoping this makes sense...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification