The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2009, 06:25 PM

Default Dreadnought Engleman vs. Adirondeck

I'm thinking replacing my 710ce (Engelmann top), with an Adirondack dreadnought (because I don't like the creamy looks of the Engelmann), and I wonder if anybody can give me advise about these 2 questions:

1. Would a regular Taylor dreadnought sound as good as an R-Taylor?
(I have only tried an R Taylor with Adi, but it is out of my price range. I know the answer is that R Taylor uses better woods, thus better sound, but I wonder if anyone has a regular Taylor dreadnought with Adi top, and what are the likes and dislikes.)

2. Is Adi top a good wood combination with Indian Rosewood back?
(I do like the sound of my Engelmann with IR sound, but I'd like to hear opinions.)

Thanks folks!

Groni

Taylor 514ce w cedar
Taylor 710ce
Taylor Baby
Old 11-21-2009, 07:56 PM

i've not been particularly fond of adirondack topped taylors..imho, their engelmann and sitka top guitars seem sound better for a taylor, i can't really say why its just personal..tone is really subjective but each adirondack topped taylor i've tried didn't have that 'wow' factor i get in most other taylors. i guess u gotta try out some adirondack topped dreads and compare it with the style 3. i would prefer an adirondack topped bourgeois compared to a taylor.

the r taylors use higher quality woods with better grain and figure which color the sound to some extent, but i do think the reason why they sound better has more to with the extra time spent on them, attention to detail, modified bracings / solid linings and choice of tops (eg 65', compound radius) than the woods themselves.

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 11-22-2009, 01:49 AM

If you know you like the Engelmann top sound but not the way it looks, have you considered maybe getting one with a burst finish?
Old 11-22-2009, 10:26 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesendw View Post
If you know you like the Engelmann top sound but not the way it looks, have you considered maybe getting one with a burst finish?
Yes, it looks like I will have to go in that direction, even though that would put me into the BTO price range, and at over $3000 there are other guitar manufacturers that are better at building dreadnoughts.

Thank you very much for your input!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7_w0kgfTpI

2016 Taylor 712ce 12-Fret - Lutz Spruce/ Rosewood
2013 Bourgeois BK Slope D Sitka/Hog
2008 R Taylor Style 2 Cedar/Hog - SOLD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion