The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2006, 04:53 PM

Default Martin - differences between Hxx and HDxx in same series

A little GAS starting ......
Hope this isn't a dumb question ....
I was looking at the Martin range and noticed the 18 series up comes designated D or HD.

Can someone explain the differences, do they play or sound different, is the HD worth the extra $$$?

I consider myself to be a great player;.... pity my ears and fingers disagree!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2006, 05:00 PM

This question was just asked re: D28/HD28. Short answer is the the H designated the herringbone trim, but there are differences in the braces. Kimsey's site has some nice pics

Martin bracing

The Martin site will fill in some of the other differences, including price cause I'm not allowed to say, and your ears will tell you if it is worth the difference.

However, I'm not up to date on all the Martin models but I don't remember an HD-18. 28 for sure but I don't know about mahogany. Within the 18 line the GE is a pretty special guitar, and the Authentic has a lot of people gassing...

But, again, only your ears can tell....
Old 03-31-2006, 05:06 PM

The H stands for Herringbone. I'm not sure on the 18 series but in the 28 series there is a significant difference in tone. The HD28 much louder and better bass IMO.

I believe the difference in sound is due to the different bracing techniques. The Martin website does a good job at summarizing the differences among models.

'94 Strat
'05 Taylor 810
'05 Gibson J45
'07 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Old 03-31-2006, 05:15 PM

As said above, the "H" designation refers to the Herringbone trim around the body. These came out several years ago as an attempt to return to the pre-war scalloped bracing and the Herringbone-trimmed Dreadnaughts that Martin used to make before WWII. However, the "H" models also have the scalloped bracing that the regular D-28's and D-35's don't have. I've only heard of one HD-18 out there and it was a special model (Jimmy Buffet?) made a few years ago. Otherwise, only the 28 and the 35 have the "H" designation in their model line. The D-35 and the HD-35 both have 1/4" top bracing whereas the D-28 and the HD-28 have the slightly thicker 5/16" top bracing.

Hope this helps you some.

Jeff
Old 03-31-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeplaysblues
A little GAS starting ......
Hope this isn't a dumb question ....
I was looking at the Martin range and noticed the 18 series up comes designated D or HD.

Can someone explain the differences, do they play or sound different, is the HD worth the extra $$$?
some people prefer the regular d-28s and d-35s over the herribone models. generally though people can hear the difference to justify the extra cost. the scalloped bracing creates a bit more bass and a very different tone.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

The scalloped bracing (like on the D-41) on the HD models is shaved down, so that the top can vibrate more freely, giving more bass "thump" - kind of a more broken in sound. Some people think the regular bracing pattern sounds better once it is well played and broken in (it's a big debate).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion