The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 11-06-2017, 04:01 AM

Default Mixing strings

Does anyone mix their string gauges? I've heard that you can buy string sets with differing gauges. Say, for instance, light top end gauge with heavier bottom end gauge.
My situation is this. I'm ok with the set of strings that are on my guitar (10s). But feel that the high e (and to some extent the B string too) don't give out much volume. Could I put e and B strings of say 11 or 12 gauge on but keep the other 4 strings from the 10 gauge set

I prefer playing my guitar acoustically rather than amped.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:51 AM
Charter Member

If you are talking about 10s on an acoustic , no they won't make much soud ..far too light for the smallest guitar in my opinion.

I use EJ17s on my Dreads, Jumbo and archtops, but on the dreads, I prefer light gauge 12 & 16s.

I could use Bluegrass gauge but 24 is way too ight for me so I stick with the 26 g from the standard set.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankieabbott View Post
Does anyone mix their string gauges? I've heard that you can buy string sets with differing gauges. Say, for instance, light top end gauge with heavier bottom end gauge.
My situation is this. I'm ok with the set of strings that are on my guitar (10s). But feel that the high e (and to some extent the B string too) don't give out much volume. Could I put e and B strings of say 11 or 12 gauge on but keep the other 4 strings from the 10 gauge set

I prefer playing my guitar acoustically rather than amped.
Yes it's perfectly fine.
I use 12-54's but remove the 12 and 16 and go with 13 and 17's on the E and B.
I want those babies to ring out a little better when strumming and be thicker when picking.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-06-2017, 06:19 AM

Been using mixed gauge sets for a while and like them. John Pearse offers New medium gauge that adds 13 and 17 E and B string to a light gauge bass set. Been using GHS Tru Mediums lately and they are quite good. They have 13 and 17 for E and B and add an 056 low E. Work well for Drop D tuning.

Bluegrass sets go the opposite way, pairing light E and B with more robust bass strings. Give a very meaty rhythm sound.

Best thing about these sets is you can fine tune tonality to emphasize either end of the spectrum. I have guitars with strong bass response so the treble boost of the New or Tru Mediums balance out the guitars nicely.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops