The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2015, 06:24 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I've also hit this point where I have a few guitars that are remarkable, and just can't see getting anything that sounds better. There are some options that sound "Different" however. My two best right now are the Brondel and the 000-18. They are both really stellar, but they don't sound -anything- like each other. That's about the best I can get these days, i.e. different, not better.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Bob Taylor had a very good response on what level of guitar to buy for yourself and that was to buy what inspires you to play. I started playing two years ago with a $420 Seagull S6 that was the perfect starter guitar for me. Six months later I tried a Taylor 814 that blew me away and I bought it. I knew at the time it was probably an impulsive (and given my playing level perhaps a financially irresponsible) decision but that guitar did and continues to inspire me to play every day. It now has two siblings and what I really enjoy is exploring music with three instruments that have distinct personalities. All three inspire me to play for hours per day. Pardon the cliché but the inspiration they provide is priceless. Good luck and I hope no matter which guitar(s) you own, they provide you as much enjoyment as I get out of mine.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 04-25-2015, 06:32 AM

Say you're dangling from a cliff 200 feet in the air. You can buy a 100 foot rope for $10 and a 200 foot rope for $100. The extra 100 feet cost disproportionately more but the return of the cost is in no way diminished.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:34 AM

It feels like an entire generation may be making a transition to acoustic guitars. My band has mostly gone this way, and I have spent the last year, and some, enjoying the world of acoustic guitars. I started with Takamines, borrowed an Epiphone Masterbilt, and played a ton of more expensive models. I may have different requirements in a guitar because I still get to play out some, but I landed on a Martin D-18. The OP is going through a common process, and if he wants to save some $, get the D-28, feel good about having an iconic guitar that is worth the $, and concentrate on guitar playing. Just make sure you're comfortable on a dread, especially for home use. And, maybe, as suggested, look at some used Martins.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:47 AM

Hi OP. I think you are going through a common and rational process. Yes, there is a law of diminishing returns. And, from a purely logical and analytical perspective, you would buy the Yamaha and be satisfied. I have done this myself. However, we are also emotional beings, and each time I settled, I kept yearning for more. I wish I could have found contentment at the lower price point, considering I agree with the law of diminishing returns. But, sadly, we are conditioned to be materially unsatisfied. Your choice is both cerebral and emotional. You can get the Yamaha and love it, and fight the materialism that causes you to want "more." Or, you can get your Martin and try and do the same thing. You'll notice people on this board spending what would be a new car budget, for me, on a guitar. If you can satisfy your emotional response through the rational, you will find yourself content with your choice. If you cannot, you are more human like the rest of us. Here is an example. My brother, for instance, is very Zen. He is a better guitar player than nearly anyone on this board. He is a doctor, but lives in a tiny row house with his wife and kids. He plays a Yamaha FG730s that I bought him. Before that, he played my hand me down, all laminate Fender acoustic. He is thankful. I admire him greatly.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:47 AM

With many product categories there is a threshold you cross over in terms of build quality, functionality/performance and serviceability where the mid-range and the bottom of the high end meet. That's your sweet spot. That gets you maybe 90% of the way there. That's the product most people should be buying, but then you have the lure of the well respected brand name product X that gives you only 10% more in combined quality, performance, etc... That 10% gets you the best on the market and yet it cost double or even triple (some times more). With guitars we have this division between high quality all solid wood Asian built guitars and USA built guitars. There's another threshold between mainstream USA built guitars and boutique builders.

The high end product sells because professionals are willing to pay the extra to get that extra advantage even small as it may be.... This is true of many things not just guitars. Just a few other areas that come to mind: Golf clubs, Cars, Clothing, etc...

It is a little different with Martin because with a Martin in addition to that extra 10% (or whatever small difference it is in tone and feel), there's the prestige factor of owning a Martin because of it's history. Also the lifetime warranty is kind of a big deal. For those with the disposable income to buy a boutique guitar or a custom shop model from one of the big builders it's worth it.

In the end, but what you can comfortably afford.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 04-25-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

It is widely assumed a Corvette is the holy grail of American made automobiles. I have one, and I can assure you of three things. It's faster than anything made here, it costs 3 times what a Toyota does, and the Toyota is a better built car.

Buy what you want at the price point you are comfortable with. A guitar is not and should not be part of your portfolio, unless we're talking about a 1941 SJ 200.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:56 AM

If you like your 314, check out some used Taylor dreads.

They can be a great value used and I personally love their tone.

If you are set on a D28, go for a used one and save a bunch of cash.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 04-25-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Say you're dangling from a cliff 200 feet in the air. You can buy a 100 foot rope for $10 and a 200 foot rope for $100. The extra 100 feet cost disproportionately more but the return of the cost is in no way diminished.
I am trying very hard to incorporate this into my list of rationalizations for buying expensive guitars, but not having any success.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up

As a long time guitar player who has owned dozens of instruments during the last 40 yrs I am of the opinion that quality is quality regardless of who built it or where it was built or even the cost. OK I've never paid more than $1200 for a guitar and sure I'd love to own something more expensive except I'd be stressing about it being damaged so I'd probably never take it out the house. Do some people see owning certain guitars as validation of their skill as a musicians? I think so but I say the proof is in the pudding and 99.9% of people don't really care what the make is as long as it is producing a pleasing sound. I've often thought that the law of diminishing returns applies to the guitar market in a big way.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:13 AM

Of course you are spot-on. So it becomes a point-of-life/economic-means decision. If you can afford the Martin, you will likely enjoy it "more." But if buying it creates a financial adversity, you will likely regret owning it, even though you "enjoy it more." If it's tight, I say get the less expensive guitar, play the heck out of it, and put the Martin on your wish list.

I played circuit-board Marshalls and Fenders for a decade before I could pull the trigger on my first Matchless (Sampson era). It was so enlightening when I finally did because I wasn't playing the magazine ad. I was fully aware of the quality, and the responsiveness that had been lacking. It was inspiring. But it was a DECADE!

Now, on the other hand, if you're just being a tight-wad - buy the Martin and stop whining!

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 04-25-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I like your analogy but none of us need a D28 or any other guitar that costs more than about $1000. We all may want one but we don't need one.

Some players use guitars as status symbols and there is nothing at all wrong with buying what you want, but 'need' is an entirely other matter. :-)

Doerr/Taylor
Old 04-25-2015, 08:26 AM

I think we also need to be aware that when a Martin becomes one of our options, a part of its desirability may be the pure fact of it being "a Martin". Big Bill Broonzy and Lonnie Johnson did not play Yammies; they played Martins, with a bottle of Jack Daniels on the table, their good ol' hound dog on the porch, and a mean-hearted woman out on a four-day run ...

It's all about priorities!
Old 04-25-2015, 08:27 AM

I waver back and forth on this issue, and as a consequence I own some great"value" guitars and some great guitars that cost more. It would be nice if I bought a guitar that would put an end to the time (too much) spent looking for guitars. Sometimes I think this is a realistic possibility, but mostly I don't. The variety of shapes and sounds in guitars is so extensive that I know there is always going to be something I want to try out.

Having said that, I also feel that it is nice when one feels a strong bond with just one or two guitars. The problem is in finding which guitar will do that for you.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

If buying the Martin is ok financially, go for it.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion