The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Cool Bose L1 Model I Classic alert!

Hey everyone;

Late last night, someone stole the two sections of the speakers for my Bose L1 Model I Classic from my garage... I was an idiot and left the door open, late at night, after I had to retrieve a few items from the garage...

Of course, I have spent my morning calling pawn shops and music stores in the surrounding 100 mile radius from my town; this, after dealing with a police report and all...

I don't have any insurance (do they sell stupidity insurance? Probably not...), and am still hopeful that those two speaker sections will "turn up" somehow...

However, should they NOT turn up, that leaves me with a dilemma... I have a perfectly functioning powerstand/base (that's the amplifier and preamp for the system), as well as the subwoofer (B1 cabinet), all connecting cords and cases, even the hardwired remote... and it's basically worthless to me.

I am very glad that I have my AER Compact 60/2... as I know that I can play fairly large rooms with that and it works very well...

Thanks for indulging me with this bit of melodrama...

play on...............................>

John Seth Sherman
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

Last edited by M19; 04-25-2015 at 05:05 AM. Reason: WTB/FS verbiage deleted-Not charter Member
Old 04-24-2015, 06:48 PM

Good luck finding the 2 sections. Sounds like whoever took them new exactly what they were. I'd check Craigslist ads too.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:50 AM

I really hope you get your towers back. In the meantime, if the Classic is anything like my PAS (Personal Amplification System), there are two Speakon speaker outputs driven by the amps in your base-plus a third for the sub. I googled the Classic and saw pictures of the in/ out panel with these connections. I know the PAS, which was the first system, has these connections and I believe your's does as well. Bose won't tell you how much power these amps put out but I think it's substantial. I have my PAS and an L1 Model II and unscientifically, I think the PAS has more power although the Model II fills any area I use it in, even outdoor gigs with no trouble.

Fingers crossed the towers come home and all the information above is not needed.
Harmon
Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 AM

As per a Bose PDF specification sheet the L1® ModelI has a 250 watt power amp for the LF driver and another 250 watt amp to power the speaker columns.

System Specifications

System Type
Self-powered, two-way

Calculated Maximum SPL @ 1m (continuous and peak)
115 dB continuous, 121 dB peak
Frequency Range (-3 dB)
40 Hz – 12 kHz
Frequency Range (-10 dB)
32 Hz – 14 kHz
Crossover Frequency
200 Hz 24 dB per octave
Nominal Coverage Pattern
160° H
Power
System Power Rating
500 W
Low-Frequency Amplifier
250 W
High-Frequency Amplifier
250 W
Distortion at Rated Power
0.1% Max 30 Hz – 15 kHz
System Limiter
Dynamic Limiter
Transducers
High-Frequency Drivers (Cylindrical Radiator® loudspeaker)
(24) 2.25" HF drivers
Low-Frequency Driver (B1 bass module)
(2) 5.25" LF drivers (8 Ω)
Old 04-25-2015, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

John,

I am so sorry to hear about this situation. What a shame.

- Glenn
Old 04-25-2015, 08:57 AM

I am in Salem. I still have my two columns. I didn't take yours. But I am really sorry for your loss.

I have unintentionally left my garage door open on many occasions. I even leave the keys in my car that's parked in my garage. I am very fortunate that nothing has ever been taken.

I would think that the columns are worthless to them as well. They probably recognized the Bose tag and thought, hey, I could sell these. It would be really stupid if they should up on Craigslist. But it wouldn't surprise me either.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 04-25-2015, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear about your Bose tower. That really sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
They probably recognized the Bose tag and thought, hey, I could sell these.
This was my first thought as well. I do understand the importance of company branding and name recognition but given that these are marketed and sold to working, traveling, touring musicians they maybe should rethink the case design!

I have often lamented the the big, bright white BOSE on all the cases. Especially when I have had to leave them out some where in public, in the back seat of my car, etc. It seems to scream, "here is something that might be worth stealing!" I try to throw a coat or something over them whenever possible.

I hope yours find their way back to you!

Matt
Old 04-25-2015, 12:02 PM

Hmmmmm.....will Bose help out by selling just the stolen components a la carte?
Old 04-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
Hmmmmm.....will Bose help out by selling just the stolen components a la carte?
They probably would do... but the Classic is no longer repaired or supported, as they just don't have the parts for them any longer.

One of the first calls I made was to Bose, to see if they had replacement speakers and what the cost would be... the rep I spoke with said they had none of those at the factory right now...

Of course, I have been checking Craigslist, all over the place, in case the thieves are silly enough to sell them there... no luck thus far...

Next stop? The dreaded Evil Bay...

I want to make a formal apology for violating the rules of the Forum involving buying or selling items... that was NOT my intent, and I stand duly corrected (and the thread has been edited)... truth is, the only thing between me and being a charter member is my mistrust and abhorrence of PayPal...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification