The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-31-2008, 02:04 PM

Default Any TC Helicon VoiceTone HarmonyG users?

I just ordered this box. Among other things, I'm hoping the heavy compression option for the "tone" feature will allow me to quit dragging around a separate compressor and mixer to deal with vocalists who'll go from a whisper to a scream without backing off the mic. (Without compression, I have to lower the mic level to a point where the quieter passages are lost below the noise floor in a busy room.)

In any event, any observations on this recently released harmonizer/vocal processor would be appreciated.

Gary
Old 08-01-2008, 12:30 AM

All I can tell you is a friend just watched a factory rep demo one this week and he can't stop talking about it. He had the flyer on it and we're both planning to investigate them some more. Be sure to post a review when you've checked yours out.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:30 AM

Hi Mark,

I'll be glad to report on the Harmony G after I've used it a bit. In a addition to live use, I intend to try recording with it as well. Its possible that I'll be able to provide a sound sample, in addition to some user's observations.

Gary
Old 08-09-2008, 02:19 PM

Default Joining in

Hi folks - I just ordered two Harmony G's and will post some thoughts in a couple of weeks.

Michael
www.ygrr.org [Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue]
http://tinyurl.com/Michael-music [...the ongoing effort]
www.facebook.com/acousticdrivemusic [A small working band]
Old 08-09-2008, 04:25 PM

Hi Gary, I own the HarmonyG. I think it dramatically improves my vocal sound. I am so happy with it! They should call it the Gharmoney because its worth every penny. lol!

I use it everytime I play. I only play for fun in my home. So I do not know how it would hold up for a performing musician. But it seems like a solid piece of equiptment. I did take it over to a friends house. He was blown away and gave it high marks. He is a local musician in town.

Best wishes!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
In any event, any observations on this recently released harmonizer/vocal processor would be appreciated.Gary
Gary, the big brown truck dropped one off for me on Friday. I spent the rest of the day playing with it.

First off, let me say that last winter I bought a DigiTech Vocalist Live 2 (VL2), played with it, and brought it back to Sam Ash within 24 hours ... really! It introduced noise into both the vocal and guitar paths, and was limited in I/O. I just didn't care for it.

The Harmony-G doesn't have those issues. I find it to be completely quiet. I like the I/O options, too. It's simple to use (as easy as the VL2). It is built like a brick ... surprisingly heavy, but that's good in a pedal. The sounds created are decent, but I do have to be careful sometimes to cue it with a split second of a guitar chord before starting to sing. It usually follows just fine without thinking about it much, though.

I have lots of fiddling and playing to do with it. I'm going to give it week or two. I got it from Musicians Friend, so I have 45 days. In any case, I'll post a real review when I've checked it all out completely.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:55 AM

I'm interested in something smaller than the VL4. I really like the Digitech but it is too big. All of my pedals are too big. Boss GT10, RC50, VL4
Old 08-10-2008, 03:03 PM

Thumbs up

I just got hold of a harmony-G and after a few hours of playing I have to say I'm really pleased with it. I've had a VoiceLive unit for a year or so and I've really enjoyed it and got a lot of compliments. However, it's a bit of a pain programming in all the key/scale changes and there's some songs that are nearly impossible to set up.

I thought it was worth a try to see how the harmony-G would track guitar chords and I must say it's surprisingly good. Considering it's about half the price of the VoiceLive I think it's well worth it. Certainly, the VoiceLive has four harmony voices (the harmony-G has two) and it has a lot of bells and whistles. But I think TC-Helicon have done a great job of taking all the important stuff and crammed it into this new unit.

It certainly gets a thumbs up from me

To answer guitaniac's original question, there's a compressor in the VoiceLive and it has the usual threshold/gain controls. I wouldn't consider it to be a high quality recording compressor but it seems to do an adequate job. The harmony-G has some basic tone settings for the mic and one has with more compression. I tried it out and there maybe a bit more compression but if you've got a real problem singer I don't think it would solve your problem.

Photos of my Guitars

Taylor K14CE-L7
Taylor 854CE-L7
Taylor T5-C2 Koa
Collings OM2HG
Fender Deluxe Strat
Breedlove AN250CR SYN
Gretsch 6120 JR2
Breedlove AN250/CR SYN
Warwick Thumb Bass
Old 08-10-2008, 07:36 PM

Oops, shame on me for forgetting to follow up here. Here's a link to the harmony-G report, sound sample included, which I posted over on the AG mag Gear forum.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...c;f=1;t=028711

Gary
Old 08-10-2008, 08:54 PM

Default Harmony G: Thru vs mix outputs?

Gary and others - any comments on using the two output options? Still waiting for mine - according to the manual 'Thru' is just that - unaffected guitar - and 'output' is ??? Appears to be a stereo option?

Michael
Old 08-11-2008, 05:51 AM

Hi Michael,

The thru guitar output is exactly that and it works OK.

If you have the unit in "stereo" output your original voice and the harmony voices are spread across the stereo image. If you switch to "mono" your dry voice is on the right channel and the wet hamrony voices and effects are on the left. That way you can balance them externally.

It's a great unit, I love mine.

Tony

Photos of my Guitars

Taylor K14CE-L7
Taylor 854CE-L7
Taylor T5-C2 Koa
Collings OM2HG
Fender Deluxe Strat
Breedlove AN250CR SYN
Gretsch 6120 JR2
Breedlove AN250/CR SYN
Warwick Thumb Bass
Old 08-11-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Tony and for the encouragement re: the much awaited box. I sold off most of my electronic gear and gizmos as my needs centered on playing better over the years (as opposed to learning how to work arcane gear) but this one box seems to add some essentials easily....and fun.

Michael
Old 08-19-2008, 12:51 PM

Default HGs arrived

Hi Folks - early stages of twiddling knobs but first impression is very good. Presets (center detent positions and 'Tone') are very useful so few initial learning obstacles get in the way of making pretty good music right out of the box. There is a 'quality' that gets noticeable if you insist on using it for everything all the time ( perhaps this goes without saying - stating the obvious - the topic is music after all). I will likely bring the 'artificial' voices way down in the mix in practice in favor of my own

I won't post sound yet but taking the recommended guitar (Taylor 714 with Fishman UST no other preamp) combined with the Mic (old Sennheiser dynamic) to a single out into a power amp is pretty encouraging. My singing is 'adequate' and if I watch the start/end of phrases (like any good musician) I'm getting away with it.

Not sure about the AutoMix feature - although the sound level is good from the guitar coming from the PA I can't tell if volume backs-off to keep the guitar level below the voice. I understand that is a long time constant anyway. I'm not too concerned however. I'm able to keep on top of the microphone (probably good practice anyway to reduce leakage which may confuse the signal). Well worth the $300 so far.

Michael
Old 08-19-2008, 05:35 PM

Here's my latest experiment with the Harmony-G. Should be quite useful at the gigs.
Happy Birthday

I used the "high" and "higher" voicings for the third phrase, the "bass" and "high" voicings for the first and last phrases. One caveat, the key must be chosen carefully to get the ending effect (with the bass voice moving down while the other voices slide up) which I got. For a full explanation, see the 8/19/3:19PM post (pg 3) of this AG Mag Gear forum thread.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/ubbcgi...1;t=028726;p=3

Gary
Old 08-22-2008, 03:32 PM

I was going to sell my Digitech VL2 and get the Harmony G because it's smaller and I'm trying to get my touring rig as small as possible. After much research I found a bunch of reviews that compared my unit with the Harmony G and it was universal that the VL2 performed better and was more forgiving. I love the sound of my unit and unless the Harmony G was going to be a step up I can't get rid of mine. Anyone on here compare the 2?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification