The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-14-2017, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Giving up the electric guitar security blanket...

I've owned electric guitars and amps since 1973. Prior to that I only played on my father's classical and flamenco guitars, which I first started learning on. In '73 my brother joined the Air Force and gave me his Tiesco and Fender Princeton Reverb.

After serving in the US Army, I went on to pursue a career in music, played in numerous bands, toured all over the US, and eventually landed a record contract in 1987 - only to see my dreams smashed when our drummer overdosed. He was a good friend, and co-writer on all of our material, and honestly, I just couldn't go on. I was also on drugs, and felt responsible for what had happened - so much so that I suffered with mental illness and ended up destitute and homeless, living on the streets.

When I finally pulled out of it in 1993 (in new orleans oddly enough) the first thing I did after getting an apartment and a car was to rush out and buy an electric guitar and an amp. It was a used fender heartfield electric and a laney combo. I was back on!

I started playing again, but the moment it caused grief (bandmate wife problems) I said screw it, and sold it all (I actually gave all the proceeds to the homeless shelter in Denver).

Yet always, again and again, even not playing with others, I felt I "needed" to have the electric. And it needed to be top shelf quality. And I needed a killer amp too - marshallesque - and it needed to be able to do both concert venues and play in my living room late at night. Which all led me to designing and manufacturing amps - only again to discover how much I dislike the music scene. Why do I keep going back?

I think it's been a form of security blanket for me. Unwilling to just let it all go, it was offering a form of comfort. But in truth - I've only played my acoustic and nylon strung guitars for years, other than when testing the repair on somebody's amp.

I've been going through therapy over past trauma (early childhood trauma) and have had amazing breakthroughs... and one thing that has really shined through is just how much I have lived (and tried to succeed) based upon childhood events. And surprisingly I am discovering how much I resent loud noise - I find it nearly unbearable, grating on my nerves.

I think I am ready to sell of all my electric music gear - recognizing I won't be playing any madison square gigs - or any at all - and honestly, what's the point?

I am ready to lose the security blanket. Has anybody else been there, done that?
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
2015 Gretsch 6128 Power Jet
2003 Amalio Burguet F1 concert flamenco
2010 Langejans R-cb classical
2019 Gibson 1958 true historic
2012 PRS Stripped '58 with 5708 pickups
1992 PRS CE24 (all original)
Many including Gretsch, Tokai, Yamaha, and Fender.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:39 AM

It sounds like you're saying you want to ditch the electric guitar because (1) its use in a conventional electric guitar-type music environment causes you social problems that may relate to your mental health issues, and (2) you're uncomfortable with high noise levels.

Looking at (2), I'm new to guitar (1 yr now), and am immersing myself in both acoustic and electric guitar - I love the sounds of both and can't imagine having to choose. I play for my own enjoyment. I play the electrics through small solid state amps, through headphones, and through a stand-alone modeler that serves as headphone amp or preamp to one of the s/s amps. I play at low volumes that allow me to enjoy what I'm doing while not bothering my neighbors. I don't play out, I don't inhabit the conventional music scene. I don't limit myself to rock and roll or other genres that like lots of volume. I try old standards, pop, easy-to-play quite jazz stuff, all of which can be played very quietly. I get all of the benefits that I can currently conceive of from playing electric guitar, with none of the downsides you describe. I'm having a blast. Maybe that won't be the case once I get more experience, maybe I'll need more, but for now I'm fine. I throw my experience out only to suggest that you consider altering your paradigm of what "playing electric guitar" entails.

As for (1) - I've not been in the music scene, and I don't have known mental health issues, but I have a brother with some, and he's getting to the point in his own analysis where he's realizing "no matter where I go, there I am." He's realizing it's not the job, or the town, or the people - it's him and he has to work around his issues. I'm not saying that's your situation. If the music scene is bad for you, and no other professional/personal situations are bad for you, by all means, avoid the music scene - it's bad for you. If you're having problems in other areas of your life, maybe it's not the kind of guitar you're playing.

The real reason you should consider for ditching the electric guitar is that you've found yourself playing only acoustics, when you had a choice. That makes more sense to me than considering the electric guitar a security blanket to be discarded for growth.

Just my opinion, of course. I do wish you contentment and progress.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Congrats on success in therapy and comfort.

Now, the cart and horse thing: Have you stopped playing electric simply because in your experience it is loud?

If you, perhaps you could consider moving into modeling gear. I've been using modelers for over ten years myself. Because of my job I couldn't afford to expose myself to loud noise either, and the solution I found was modeling. Now I can get the sounds I love at levels I can stand, and I find the instrument a very expressive thing at that level. You don't even have to mortgage the house, either: a reasonable modeler will work.

Think on.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Now, the cart and horse thing: Have you stopped playing electric simply because in your experience it is loud?

If you, perhaps you could consider moving into modeling gear. I've been using modelers for over ten years myself. Because of my job I couldn't afford to expose myself to loud noise either, and the solution I found was modeling. Now I can get the sounds I love at levels I can stand, and I find the instrument a very expressive thing at that level. You don't even have to mortgage the house, either: a reasonable modeler will work.

Think on.

Bob
Well I think I have a lot of bad associations, and I don't feel fully engaged with the music. I love the response feeling feedback bit of playing the acoustic (which in my case are mainly classical and flamenco guitars). They just seem more natural, and I've reached this point in my life where I really prefer the sound of the acoustic.

But I've had a lifelong affair with the electric.. and I feel it's more about the security of that relationship than what it actually is giving me.
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
Old 09-14-2017, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
It sounds like you're saying you want to ditch the electric guitar because (1) its use in a conventional electric guitar-type music environment causes you social problems that may relate to your mental health issues, and (2) you're uncomfortable with high noise levels.
No, it's more like I want to keep the electric guitar because of my history with it, but I really don't enjoy playing it anymore. I prefer the acoustics.
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
Old 09-14-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post
No, it's more like I want to keep the electric guitar because of my history with it, but I really don't enjoy playing it anymore. I prefer the acoustics.
Then maybe don't keep an electric around because of "history" or "security" (reasons that have nothing to do with actually playing electric guitar) - keep one around, with a small amp, because sometimes you may want a break from all-acoustic. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. If the electric's got nothing more to offer you, and you don't need the variety, then by all means go acoustic-only.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:44 AM

I do hope your issue continue to get better. I work with people with serious mental illness for a living.

I have found over the past several years that I prefer to play my electrics while sitting on my couch over my acoustic. Smaller, more comfortable and just fun to noodle around on. When I go on a vacation or really anywhere outside of my house I'll always bring one of three things: 1 my guilele 20% of the time, 2-my Taylor GS mini 20% of the time or 3-an electric with my $20 Danelectro 9 volt little amp 60% of the time. When I bring an electric I bet I play it unplugged majority of the time.

I guess my point being that in order for me to enjoy an electric guitar I do not need to plug it into an amp. I just love the electric guitar. But I also love my acoustics, and guilele and lap steel. You know what I just love the guitar in all shapes and forms.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:57 AM

Your topic is a serious one, so please don't take my post as overly lighthearted or flippant...but have you considered an archtop with 2 set in pickups?

Many will provide decent acoustic feel, but still give you that ability to plug in if you feel the need...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Hopefully you get thru your issues....

I wouldn't feel bad about giving up an electric guitar, especially if you associate bad things with it. Nothing wrong with keeping an acoustic around, especially if you use it for relaxation.

Or....you could get a banjo!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Your topic is a serious one, so please don't take my post as overly lighthearted or flippant...but have you considered an archtop with 2 set in pickups?

Many will provide decent acoustic feel, but still give you that ability to plug in if you feel the need...

I have indeed, thanks!

I found it's difficult to find one that has the same resonance as an acoustic, perhaps as a function of how the bridge transfers its energy into the top.

Also there is something that happens in my brain while playing a cedar top nylon string guitar.
2015 Martin HD28E Retro
Old 09-14-2017, 03:00 PM

I hope you find some happiness. I've seen many, great musicians have heartache and disappointment, doing what they love. Congratulations on living in Sedona! and good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_C View Post
I've owned electric guitars and amps since 1973. Prior to that I only played on my father's classical and flamenco guitars, which I first started learning on. In '73 my brother joined the Air Force and gave me his Tiesco and Fender Princeton Reverb.

After serving in the US Army, I went on to pursue a career in music, played in numerous bands, toured all over the US, and eventually landed a record contract in 1987 - only to see my dreams smashed when our drummer overdosed. He was a good friend, and co-writer on all of our material, and honestly, I just couldn't go on. I was also on drugs, and felt responsible for what had happened - so much so that I suffered with mental illness and ended up destitute and homeless, living on the streets.

When I finally pulled out of it in 1993 (in new orleans oddly enough) the first thing I did after getting an apartment and a car was to rush out and buy an electric guitar and an amp. It was a used fender heartfield electric and a laney combo. I was back on!

I started playing again, but the moment it caused grief (bandmate wife problems) I said screw it, and sold it all (I actually gave all the proceeds to the homeless shelter in Denver).

Yet always, again and again, even not playing with others, I felt I "needed" to have the electric. And it needed to be top shelf quality. And I needed a killer amp too - marshallesque - and it needed to be able to do both concert venues and play in my living room late at night. Which all led me to designing and manufacturing amps - only again to discover how much I dislike the music scene. Why do I keep going back?

I think it's been a form of security blanket for me. Unwilling to just let it all go, it was offering a form of comfort. But in truth - I've only played my acoustic and nylon strung guitars for years, other than when testing the repair on somebody's amp.

I've been going through therapy over past trauma (early childhood trauma) and have had amazing breakthroughs... and one thing that has really shined through is just how much I have lived (and tried to succeed) based upon childhood events. And surprisingly I am discovering how much I resent loud noise - I find it nearly unbearable, grating on my nerves.

I think I am ready to sell of all my electric music gear - recognizing I won't be playing any madison square gigs - or any at all - and honestly, what's the point?

I am ready to lose the security blanket. Has anybody else been there, done that?
Old 09-14-2017, 03:12 PM

While I see merit in ChrisN's comment, it sounds like you are ready to purge these things from your life because they either no longer have meaning, or the the meaning that they do have is negative to you. If you need to get rid of that stuff, then do it.

I have purged myself of certain belongings several times in my life and it's cathartic.

I used to be a competitive athlete in both powerlifting and martial arts. I had dozens of hard earned trophies. One day, that just didn't mean anything to me anymore and i threw them all in the garbage. I never missed them, not once.

Follow your gut and do what you need to do to move forward.

I wish you peace and strength.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-14-2017, 03:54 PM

While my reasons not nearly as substantial as your own, I too wish I could give up electric completely. Alas, I have two very sentimental electrics that I can't sell. I could easily bring in $3000 for them and I'd love to invest that in another acoustic or pocket the money, but my PRS is signed to me from Paul himself, and my strat was a limited run that I purchased right before my father in law (and bandmate) died tragically. The strat reminds me of him.

So I'm stuck even though I don't play electric anymore. I can't bring myself to part with my electrics.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:58 AM

First, I've gone through (slightly) similar issues, both professionally and privately, which also drove me from electric to acoustic, back to electric, now mostly acoustic. There were even other instruments thrown into the mix. But I still keep my electric guitars and amps. Why? Because it's part of who I am - or maybe who I was - and I can't get rid of that, even if I sold the guitar. So I don't play it as often, but it's there, if I want it.

If money is an issue, and you're really not using it, and there's no emotional attachment to your particular instrument, sure; sell it. If you change your mind someday and have the cash, buy a new one.

If it's not a cash issue, then, as an earlier post suggested, get a different sort of electric - a hollow body is a good idea - that doesn't remind you of bad electric days, but keeps those particular skills current, should you have the urge. And you can play it acoustically, which doesn't hurt your ears.

But the fact that you are unsure what to do tells me maybe you're not ready to let it go, even if you don't play it. No one says you have to; you probably own a lot of things you don't use much anymore, but they're probably still in your house. So, hold onto it and try not to feel guilty you aren't using it.

All that said, honestly - and no offense to anyone intended - I don't think you're going to get the advice you need from a forum. This is a deeply personal thing for you and we - the forum - all have different opinions and experiences to interpret your situation. It sounds to me like you view the electric as some sort of weight you need to lose - if so, lose it. Or, maybe, just give it (or loan it) to someone close to you who either still plays, or wants to learn. Then you'll feel good about the loss.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Think on.

Bob
Man this is a good post. Modeling amps are fun to have around. I can't remember not having one by my bedside. Junk to most people, cool to me. I don't think any one of the modeling amps I have owned for the bedroom cost more than $40. I always got my money's worth.

I keep an electric around mainly for two reasons. First reason is I may want one for recording, and the second reason is for a 20-30 minute jam session sitting on the bed. Many times the electric has opened my creative channels and helped me discover something new that I can utilize with the acoustic.

For many years I played electric guitar in my band. It is fun, but for most of my adult life the acoustic has been my fav.

OP, I understand your feelings on the music scene. Bad associations can be detrimental. After playing for 20 years out there I burned out on it big time. I was mostly in the country music scene. Its all the same. I'm only 43 now, and still love the music, but don't care a thing for the scene. That's why I stepped back for a much needed breather. I still play acoustic shows here and there, (I have always been the singer too) but only when I feel like it. I wish I wasn't already burned out at 43, but I am.

I've been off the whole gig wagon for about 3 years. I'm beginning to feel the urge again, but it is much different this time. If I ever do the business again it will be for fun only. Like many others I lost sight of the main goal. Having fun playing the music. I should have always kept it that simple. Just like it was when I was 12 years old.

It is intriguing that you started building your own amps. If I had the knowledge and ability to build amps, I believe would enjoy working at it.

I cannot pretend to understand everything about the life you have lived, but I understand some of it. I appreciate you sharing the summary of your experiences, and I hope you find much joy in the future. The acoustic is a good start!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars