The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-19-2017, 09:19 PM

Default My first build -a double cutaway

Hi,

new to the forum. My name's Pierre. I'm from Canada. I thought I'd share my first guitar build since it's a little different. I designed and built a pair of double cutaway acoustics. In a lot of ways they are my own response to things I wanted out of an acoustic. Started from prewar martin specs pretty much and started adding my own thoughts from there. I implemented in a lot of ideas from research (I have a physics and engineering background) coupled with having worked in my dad's woodworking shop through my teens (he builds electrics). Most of the work was done with hand tools excepting thickness planing the top, back, and sides and routing the saddle slot. And using an electric hand drill if you count that.

Spec stuff:

-24 fret joined at 22
-25" scale
-10" fretboard radius
-cocobolo fretboard, sitka top, EIRW sides and back, African mahogany (khaya) one piece neck, flame maple headstock cover, bridge BRRW, bracing is a combination of different woods to add strength or weakness in strategic positions
-f holes added for additional and more efficient sound transmission (http://www.openculture.com/2016/01/w...ce-design.html)
-tribolt neck mount for added lateral and vertical stability and ease of servicing
-top open truss rod configuration because I hated trying to adjust internal body cavity ones while the strings were on
-tusq saddle, bridge pins, and saddle (I might change with a natural alternative which no one seems to use though)
-an as far as I know first of it's kind system used to pre-emptively counteract bellying and allow a thinner more responsive top and allow the use of the f-holes (which so far has worked beautifully) but also is elastic and minimizes dampening of the top
-scalloped braces
-I have a sort of weird personalized fret dot marking system where the first octave is marked in pearl (except 5th which is marked in abalone) and the second octave is marked in abalone.
-pickups: d-tar wavelength for the concert version, k&k onboard trinity mini for the studio version
-finish is BT&C shellac
-body size: basically dreadnought+ (5" even depth rather than the standard 4 7/8")
-schaller locking tuners and security strap locks
-and I figured forget it, and got some hiscox cases for them since a store here gives some of the best prices in N.A. for them

Last edited by cigarfan; 09-20-2017 at 02:56 AM. Reason: profanity

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop