The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-10-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Online courses for intermediate/advanced rhythm guitar

I am predominantly a rhythm guitar player with some fingerstyle/classical training from years ago; mostly folk, Americana, country rock, and blues. As well, I can do some Pentatonic as well. I am at a wall on moving forward. I am trying to make progress on moving beyond open chords, and simple Am, D forms further up the neck as well.

I can't afford a tutor, and am interested in recommendations for on line instruction for intermediate and above on-line courses for taking my rhythm guitar further. This includes for fee per month, as it has to be cheaper than $30 or more per half hour for private instruction. A lot of the ones I see are for beginners, and just not at the level I am at and want to move beyond.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Any youtube courses that are of decent quality would also be great.

On-line instructions aside, any other thoughts you have on moving forward would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 09-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck61 View Post
I am predominantly a rhythm guitar player with some fingerstyle/classical training from years ago; mostly folk, Americana, country rock, and blues. As well, I can do some Pentatonic as well. I am at a wall on moving forward. I am trying to make progress on moving beyond open chords, and simple Am, D forms further up the neck as well.

I can't afford a tutor, and am interested in recommendations for on line instruction for intermediate and above on-line courses for taking my rhythm guitar further. This includes for fee per month, as it has to be cheaper than $30 or more per half hour for private instruction. A lot of the ones I see are for beginners, and just not at the level I am at and want to move beyond.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this. Any youtube courses that are of decent quality would also be great.

On-line instructions aside, any other thoughts you have on moving forward would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff
Get Mel Bay's (or something similar) Rhythm Guitar Chord System

It's a good start. Back when I was a 20 something and a flat picker I took lessons and this was my textbook. It'll show you forms all over the neck. I suggest looking up triads as well and learn the different forms up the neck. Throw in a bass root and you're good to go.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-10-2017, 03:47 PM

Hi Starbuck. You might want to checkout the Rhythm Factory: Acoustic Rock course by Massimo Varini over on Truefire. It's a rhythm AND songwriting course all rolled into one. Lots of intense rhythm exercises in that one. Massimo also has a Pop Guitar Survival Guide course that has a lot of good stuff as well. Justin Sandercoe at justinguitar.com has two specific rhythm courses that are excellent as well, Strumming Techniques I & II. The first is focused on eighth note patterns and the second on 16th note strumming patterns. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Dakotabison; 09-10-2017 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Correcting sentence
Old 09-13-2017, 07:10 PM

Dakotabison/TBman,

Thanks to both of you for the helpful recommendations.

/r

Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write