The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 05-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Just thought i'd mention Newtone Archtop strings

I've got them on two guitars at the instant, my main acoustic archtop that I made a year or so ago, and a 1962-ish Silvertone 1445 (made by Kay). I have a set of 13-56 on the acoustic, and even though these are nickle-wound strings therefor suitable for magnetic pickup instruments the sound is deeply warm and satisfying. I tune this guitar down a full tone, and sound of the low D is far better than I had with bronze wound strings. I have 12-52 on the Silvertone, and the sound is again deeper and more mellow than I've heard from it before.

The story of the Newtones is that they are hand wound in England on thinner round cores than other strings, so they play with lower tension that a typical string of the same gauge. They are double-wound, two wraps of very fine wire rather than one wrap of thicker wire, so they play with less (still some, they aren't flat wounds) string noise. They stay in tune really well, even when just installed I tuned them up and played, and they stayed put. So far very impressed.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:08 AM

I use nickel or 80/20 bronze Newtones on the flattops. I also string my Gibson-made Capital archtop (which is X braced) with Newtone. On my '53 Epiphone Triumph Regent however, I prefer D'Addario Nickel Bronze 13s although I swap out the two high strings for a 14 and 18 gauge. I have never tried the double wound Newtones though.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 PM

I just ordered a couple sets for my converted mandocello. I tried some chrmoe flats but the low E and A strings were dead (acoustically - plugged in it sounds great).
Old 05-15-2017, 04:13 PM

based on the great reviews on this forum i've ordered some for my flat-top. will try on my archtops. i've been using TI flat wounds for some time and love them, but it never hurts to try something new.....
Old 05-20-2017, 09:43 AM

I'm relatively new to the archtop world and haven't had a chance to try a lot of different strings, by the fact that these are a little heavier gauge than I'm used to -- which I hear is good for archtops -- but also a little lower tension, make them sound pretty attractive. I just might order a set. Thanks for the info!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-21-2017, 02:17 PM

Default Great stuff...all the Newtone Strings...

Use the same Archtop set on this with great acoustic and electric tones:

Old 05-22-2017, 05:41 PM

I recently put a set on my flat-top and like them a lot, so the archtop is next up for a trial run.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops