The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-01-2017, 12:00 AM

Default Prices on Reverb

Lately I've been buying miscellaneous electric gear (pedals, boards, etc.) and I've found that prices on Reverb really suck compared to the online big boys (like Sweetwater, i.e.). I bought a Digitech Jamman Solo XT looper, brand new, cheaper than any price USED on Reverb. I've priced other items that I've been considering, or actually purchased, with similar results. It seems like the vendors who list there price their items and then add on shipping charges which discourage anyone with any common sense to buy anything. I mean, one might save a nominal amount there buying a used item, but not enough, in my opinion, to override a new purchase elsewhere.

Maybe if you're looking for a unique item, like a used guitar, there may be some good buys to be had, but I'm pretty turned off with what I've seen on other stuff.

How about you?
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat

Last edited by Jerry D; 01-01-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:20 AM
Charter Member

Really? I've notice that some prices are exactly the same (due to MAP), but I've also gotten some good deals on Reverb on new gear. I don't think that I've ever seen new items for more than the big box stores to their websites. The only exception to this that I've seen is listings from overseas sellers which I would expect.

For used or unique items it's a great place I think. I've found things I couldn't find in other places.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 AM

I just purchased a set of headphones that was being sold both on eBay and reverb by the same store. Same product and same free shipping. On Reverb, the item cost $85, on eBay the item cost $65. So, I bought from eBay. Does reverb have some fees involved for the sellers that eBay doesn't?

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 01-01-2017, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

My experience is that I've gotten great deals on gear -- guitars and equipment -- and have never paid a shipping or handling charge on Reverb. A case in point is a recent purchase of a new tc polytune clip for $32 from a vendor who accepted offers and had no associated shipping charges. I suppose it's like shopping anywhere, there are good deals and there are not so good deals.
Old 01-01-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
I just purchased a set of headphones that was being sold both on eBay and reverb by the same store. Same product and same free shipping. On Reverb, the item cost $85, on eBay the item cost $65. So, I bought from eBay. Does reverb have some fees involved for the sellers that eBay doesn't?
Reverb charges a couple of percent to the seller on completed listings. I shop more on Reverb, since you can converse with the seller easily and also because prices are negotiable more often than not on used gear. I sold a guitar on there, and it was a very enjoyable process. We exchanged a few messages, I sent the buyer several detail pics he wanted to see along with pics of the packing process before it shipped, and we negotiated a fair price+shipping number before completing the sale.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-01-2017, 10:36 AM

I've bought and sold on eBay and Reverb. Reverb fees are lower, buyers get there money faster and communication between buyer and seller is easy. Negotiating on price is also more common. As far as getting a great price, I do find it very hit and miss on Reverb. I have gotten some great bargains but other times I check there for something I'm shopping for and its the same or more that big online stores. If you want be sure to get a good price, you really do have to do your due diligence.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:47 PM

i've found reverb easy also. you just have to shop for a while and educate yourself.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-01-2017, 01:06 PM

It's just like EBay and Craigslist..... There are people trying to sell, people trying to make stuff go away quickly, and people trying to wait for somebody to pay a stupid price for their junk.

Your reaction as a customer had to be gaged accordingly.....

You buy instantly from the people trying to jettison - because their price is cheap. If you wait around - either somebody will beat you or they might completely flake out on you...

You have more time with the folks trying to sell regularly at normal prices, but you gotta expect to pay a reasonable price based on market value. These guys usually won't be swayed by you sending them emails with "oh, I just bought one of these at the flea market for $2.00 - so you should sell me this 1959 Fender Strat for $2.00"

The last one.... They are great if you absolutely have to have it right now or you just can't find it anywhere else in the whole world. At that point - it doesn't really matter what it "costs" because you can't get one anyway except for him... The issue you sometimes run into with these guys is that some really are knowledgeable collectors or whatever and they do have something really unique and valuable - it's just that you don't recognize it. Usually though - they are just living in denial because somebody told them that this $100 Esteban is really worth $6,000 because you know - it's hand signed by Esteban and he is famous....

Thanks
Old 01-01-2017, 01:15 PM

Default prices on Reverb

I've never sold but I've bought two guitars on Reverb.com. Both transactions were flawless and in both cases I've been more than satisfied with the instruments.

BahPa

2015 Taylor GS-Mini Hog
2002 Martin 000-18 Sunburst
2005 Martin 000-28
2011 Martin 0-12VS
1972 Ovation 12 string
2015 Fender P-Bass Sunburst
2008 Fender Tele Thinline
2011 Fender Tele Sunburst
1998 Washburn BT-9
Old 01-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
How about you?
Not so much. Like any other sales site I've found a wide mix of prices available there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i've found reverb easy also. you just have to shop for a while and educate yourself.
Agreed. If you find something you would like used, negotiate a price with the seller. I've never had a problem explaining to a seller "this is available new at #*# for $$. I will give you $ for yours as it's used. Plus shipping." All they can do is say yes or no.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
....you just have to shop for a while and educate yourself.

play music!
Definitely no substitute for this....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-02-2017, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Reverb fees are less actually. You probably just had a case of a seller not updating one of their sites.
Old 01-02-2017, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

...depends on what you're buying i guess...i got two fantastic deals on vintage acoustics last year....
Old 01-02-2017, 07:43 AM

I sold a bass on Reverb and it was absolutely painless.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:00 PM

I have enjoyed Reverb very much this past month searching for my bass as it was the most time I had spent on the site. Much like e-bay you can learn a lot and get a good idea of what is available and the price range of things.

Yes you must shop and a small or private seller will not have the shipping discounts like the big box stores do. Heavy amps and large guitars very costly to ship.

And you can't beat the $4 tuners with free shipping so I ordered 2!
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars