The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-05-2013, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Default Alternate String Gauges and Tension

I've been fooling with Alternate tunings and alternate string gauges. I've noticed that for regular string sets on a 25.4 scale, the tension seems to start out around 29 pounds at the bass side, ramps up to around 36 for the middle strings then down to about 27 on the treble side. I want to create a set for DADGAD tuning. should I strive for a similar tension distribution or try to achieve equal tension across the set? I'm assuming the target tension should be about 30, but I'm interested in input on that too.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:07 PM

http://www.daddario.com/DAstringtensionguide.Page

All the info you need ...
Old 05-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

The D'Addario string tension guide has lots of good information about determining tension for a given string, but it doesn't tell me what the tension distribution should be across the six strings, or what tension I should be targeting. For example, if you chart tension for a medium set for a 25.4 scale, the low E will be 29 pounds tension, ADG and B will be in the 33-36 pound range and the high e will be around 27. I'm trying to figure out if I should target those tensions, or try to be more consistent across the range. And..... is 30 lbs a good target tension?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 PM

When designing custom sets, I go for tension proportional to length. That is, longer strings need more tension to feel "tight" and not vibrate in too wide an arc. Since the strings are all the same length on most guitars, that means tension equal as well. But for fan frets and harp guitars and harp ukuleles, it gets more varied.

My personal preference is low tension. About 20lbs per string, and a guitar designed for it. But if you like the sound and feel of mediums, then yeah, 30 should be good.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
My personal preference is low tension. About 20lbs per string, and a guitar designed for it. But if you like the sound and feel of mediums, then yeah, 30 should be good.
DekuTree raises 2 good points.

Playing style - I have a pro bluegrass player client who plays with 13's on a dreadnought style guitar. He (and likely many other bluegrassers) prefers the high tension to get a quick response and power on the attack.

If a player prefers 11's, the guitar can be built lighter to make it more warm sounding and perhaps a bit louder. A more lightly built instrument may not, however, be able to handle the heavier strings with potential for cracking under the tension of 13's.

So, what is your preference in strings (light or heavy) and if it is heavy, then can your guitar handle the heavy gauge?

You can design your set with heavy bottom and light top, or reverse. There is really no right or wrong, as long as the guitar is structurally sound enough to handle the string tension when heavy strings are chosen. The choice of gauge should also blend with your playing style and the needs of the music you are playing.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair