The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1177 View Post
Hey. My first build for myself was an OM with Carpathian spruce and honduran mahogany.

[IMG][/IMG]

I went for a vintage kind of vibe. Tonally turned out that way as well. Carpathian is a nice tonewood. Adds more balls to the tone than what Sitka offers. More growl... but maybe the honduran mahogany had a touch of help to that as well too.
Cool! I should have read the first post a little more closely. I'm curious to hear how this one turns out. I just kicked off my second build today which will be very similar, though I doubt it will come together so quickly or cleanly.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Cool! I should have read the first post a little more closely. I'm curious to hear how this one turns out. I just kicked off my second build today which will be very similar, though I doubt it will come together so quickly or cleanly.
Thanks, although I have a few booboos here and there on my first... But mostly no one notices them but me. You should like the Carp. top. Mine was very stiff and final sanding brought it down to 2.4mm. It can take hard strumming without distorting, but i also justified which bracing i'd pair it with. I did forward shift tapered. Works great for OM's if using it for strumming which I do. In fact my first turned out so good tonally I sold my martin d18 and OM21.
Good luck. I'll follow your build.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 AM

made some more progress last nite. glued on the bridge. pickup installed. tuners added.
Custom Pearl Inlay just finished my abalone koi fish inlay for the fingerboard. turned out nicely as always, they do great work.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM

Very nice inlay. I missed where you said you had it made.

Fancy Schneider vacuum clamp for a second build.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Very nice inlay. I missed where you said you had it made.

Fancy Schneider vacuum clamp for a second build.
Custom Pearl Inlay made it. They also do my headstock logo. I love the vacuum clamp.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 AM

Default Nearing completion

got some more done today. top half of frets in... still waiting if client will decide on having custom koi inlay on lower half of fretboard.
nut and saddle shaped. my branding iron came the other day so tried to brand the back brace through the soundhole... looks like i didnt have it quite hot enough or maybe it was because the back brace is slightly arched and i didnt rock the iron enough to get it perfectly even across. oh well. live and learn. i can say it has a worn vintage look now. hehe.
clear pickguard installed. strung up. and wow!!!! sounded phenomenal right off the bat. a very distinct clear woody tone. sustain for days. perfectly balanced. i really should do a proper recording of this to show it off here. i'm very pleased with the outcome and i know my client will be super happy with it.
here's the pics from today:

customer doesn't know yet if getting koi in or not:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair