The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-03-2013, 02:59 PM

Default How much can you learn by building a kit guitar in a class setting?

A local area woodworking shop offers a six week (or six day actually - as it's one day per week) class on guitar building. The class uses a kit guitar and the lessons are held once a week on Saturdays for a cost of about $600. The guitars that I have seen look really nice. Is this worth it for someone who wants to learn basic guitar building and repair techniques?

Other luthier classes I have seen advertise that they offer a build from scratch cost closer to $2,000.00 or more including the materials (finishing not always included.) Is it a simple matter of you get what you pay for?

Never use metronomes; they screw up my timing!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:16 PM

It all depends on your background, interest, and funds. If you know nothing about woodworking and come out knowing how to build a guitar, have no tools but want to build one, whether you want the experience and the satisfaction of playing a guitar you built...

A lot goes into determining if something is worth it to you. I will be building a few guitars in the next while, will they be as good as one that I bought even if I spend the same amount? I don't know, but I will know how to build one afterwards. If that was not important to me I would not bother.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

I agree that it depends a lot on you and your experiences, but it can't be a bad thing to have someone help you through the process. About 80% of guitar construction is keeping the process in sequence, and not getting ahead of yourself in the process. Step by step. Once you have one under your belt, the next is much more logical.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair