The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Arpaio is a hero to many today .
Weinstein is only 1 of very many . His situation is like swatting 1 mosquito and then claiming victory over Malaria .
There will always be another Harvey Weinstein or Heidi Fleiss in the wings just waiting for their opportunity .
True that. But today it is not socially acceptable. It was then. A small difference perhaps but an improvement nevertheless.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 12-08-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Objectively, I see that throughout our species history, all the non-hackers died.

Evolution has no empathy. It doesn't cut any slack to those born in low income neighborhoods, those people afflicted with handicaps, people with substance abuse issues etc etc.

There are many people breeding today that never would have had the oppurtunity to do so in previous points in human history.

My opinion is humankind is currently de-evolving.
De-evolving?

After reading this post I think you may have a point.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Objectively, I see that throughout our species history, all the non-hackers died.
humm ??? lost me there, hasn't everybody in history that isn't still alive "died" ??? Plus I thought "hackers" came in with the computer age, ergo pretty short historical record and seems as if most non-hackers are still walking around

Quote:
Evolution has no empathy. It doesn't cut any slack to those born in low income neighborhoods, those people afflicted with handicaps, people with substance abuse issues etc etc.
Well as Dirk said Evolution is broad term, and in any case my post you quoted was about perception, not evolution.
But I would agree some of those among us have always throughout history, perceived the past as being better than the present.

Quote:
There are many people breeding today that never would have had the oppurtunity to do so in previous points in human history.

My opinion is humankind is currently de-evolving.
While very true that many, diseases ,plagues, wars, famines etc. etc. no longer curb the population in the percentages they once did . None of that has anything to do with de-evolving (whatever that is supposed to mean) , again negative perceptions are as current as they are historic. And probably just as accurate or not.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 12-09-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Let's stay away from the topics that approach politics. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
True that. But today it is not socially acceptable. It was then. A small difference perhaps but an improvement nevertheless.
Not exactly sure where your references are directed .
The term socially acceptable varies greatly depending on where you are and as to which activity you are alluding to .
Do you care to specify ?
Old 12-08-2017, 08:28 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTrap999 View Post
...any ideas when things began going south ? people seem in their own little world ???
I think HHP's comment applies:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The world is the world but you choose how you're going to live in it.
The saying around our house is similar, we say "It is what it is" and "Attitude is Everything"

A good friend once told me the real tragedy in life is the child that dies in a man as he grows older. HHP's quote below ties in nicely with what happens to those who let the child within them die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
You only get under a hundred years of the world, no sense spending that time pissed off.
So SpiderT, I believe things may go south with how we choose view the world, and I am fortunate to have been surrounded by those who have provided me an example of how to live. My 98 year old Aunt just recently passed. Up until her last 3.5 months of her life, (she suffered a stroke) she was independent, lived in her own home, drove her own car, taught tai chai weekly at the senior center. even went hiking, up to 2.5 miles a day, in France two years ago, always took an annual two week trip, Europe, Asia, South America, Western U.S. where she hiked despite having two hip and two knee replacements. She was an avid reader, questioned and learned about new ideas and technology, bought a new Mac and iPad to learn and explore, cared for the elderly (who were younger than her), hosted weekly teas for her friends and loved to laugh. She told me repeatedly to enjoy this time and life, and make sure to never let the grass grow between my toes. ...........I should be so lucky!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

I believe that much of what is involved in nostalgia for the "good old days", and believing that things were so much better "back in the day" are really driven by the fact that now, we know how those days turned out. We don't know what the future holds. For some, there is a certain level of uneasiness about that, where there is comfort in knowing that things turned out OK in the "good old days".

There is a saying that "today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday, now you know why".

Some look at the present and future with a certain amount of fear and trepidation, while others are comfortable with not knowing what is coming around the corner. some folks fear change, while others embrace it.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-09-2017, 05:23 AM

This my friends were the good old days.
http://vintagemartin.com/MartinDitson.html
Old 12-09-2017, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
Here is your youtube link corrected:

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Here is your youtube link corrected:
Tony
Thanks.......

"Wish I had more time to hear your reasons, but I have to go get a beer." 00-28
Old 12-09-2017, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
Wow what a great article. I had an acquaintance now deceased , who having been the owner of guitar shop in the 60's and 70's had a collection of about 12 Martins. Including a number of pre WWII, and a few very good condition 1800's models one from 1848 and one from the 1860's

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-09-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefret View Post
With not even a mention of the original Ditson style headstock and tuning machine setup .
Old 12-09-2017, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

On Monday, I will be picking up my 1917 Martin 0-18. It has been in the shop for a neck reset. One thing Marty Reynolds does with these old Martins is make sure the neck reset does not result in that hump where the neck joins the body (the 12th fret on my guitar). Sometime in 1917, Martin switched from using Brazilian rosewood for the back and sides, to mahogany on the 0-18. Mine was made just before that change, so it has that old, straight-grained Brazilian.

From what I understand, life was much more difficult on a day-to-day basis back then, so I doubt it really was the "good old days" compared to what my life is today, except to those who were alive during that time and old enough to remember those days well, while being concerned/afraid of the changes happening. WWI was the big event of the day, which was particularly devastating for many families.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 12-11-2017, 03:22 PM

My father was barely 6 (so 1931) when his appendix burst. He got one of the first doses of the new sulfa drugs that saved his life. Before that an appendix rupture was a death sentence. Hardly "good old days" there.

These are the "good old days" people will talk about in the future.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay

Last edited by Kerbie; 12-11-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Removed content
Old 12-11-2017, 03:25 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic