The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-17-2017, 08:52 PM

Default Removing strap buttons classical guitar

Hi all,

I have a Pavan TP30 classical guitar I installed strap buttons on. One at the tail block and one on the neck heel.

I plan to sell the guitar and want to fill the strap button holes. I don’t want to hide the fact that there were strap buttons installed.

What is the preferred way to fill the holes? Should I fix them permanently or do a temp repair with black silicone sealer?

Thank you,
Ed
Old 11-17-2017, 09:44 PM

I’d leave them alone and sell as-is. The new owner can then do as he or she pleases with them.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:20 PM

If you want to do something, a mahogony coloured wood fill will do. It is easy enough to work with afterwards that if someone REALLY wanted to make it invisible, it wouldn't be trouble.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-19-2017, 11:56 PM

No silicone, please. It will contaminate the surface, making it harder for finish or glue to stick.
Whittle a stick from matching wood, and spin it in a drill, sanding it round. If matching wood is not available, use a lighter colored wood and stain it after installation.
Glue it in with Titebond, and trim it flush with a knife or single edge razor blade.
Drop some lacquer or thin super glue on it to seal it.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:59 PM

Thank you to all for your advice. I'm going to let the buyer know about the holes from the strap buttons. One option is to buy some side black position stock about the size of the holes and plug the holes.

Ed
Old 11-29-2017, 04:56 PM

If black is appropriate, then stick some scrap wood in it and darken it wth a Sharpie. A piece of a popsicle stick, if nothing else.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:12 PM

Why remove them? If they have some value to you, just replace them.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:16 PM

I would leave as-is, but if I did it I would use a small neat dowel rather than filler. I would be aiming at neatness rather than disguise, along the lines of the old army saying - "If you can't move it, paint it, if you can't paint it, stick a sign in front of it".
Old 11-29-2017, 08:18 PM

my opinion is to leave the strap buttons alone and sell the guitar with the buttons in place. No telling whether the new owner would want the buttons, but if not, he can arrange for their removal in a way that satisfies him, nothing to do with the seller. And the task of 'enjoying' the removal is all the buyer's. The buyer can deal with the strap buttons as he pleases, any way he pleases.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I would leave as-is, but if I did it I would use a small neat dowel rather than filler. I would be aiming at neatness rather than disguise, along the lines of the old army saying - "If you can't move it, paint it, if you can't paint it, stick a sign in front of it".
My recollection of the saying is ... "If it moves, salute it, if it doesn't move, pick it up, if you can't pick it up, paint it."
Old 11-30-2017, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
My recollection of the saying is ... "If it moves, salute it, if it doesn't move, pick it up, if you can't pick it up, paint it."
Mine might me the Brit version. Can't be sure, but I think I got it from the Readers Digest.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:36 AM

I remember that saying from my US Navy days too, Tony. It might be British in origin, but not exclusively.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:22 PM

Strap buttons don't fit the classical guitar style. Sitting down is the normal posture, sometimes with the left leg raised by a foot rest (right-handed player).
Foot rest, yes, Strap, no.
Old 11-30-2017, 08:45 PM

^^^^^ I always play seated. If I remove a strap button for any reason, I don't bother putting it back on again. I have a little collection in a ziplock bag.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair