The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-19-2024, 04:28 PM

Default Bose S1 Pro Alternatives?

I'm thinking of replacing my Fishman sa220 solo amp with a single powered pa speaker. While the Bose S1 Pro seems to be the go to speaker in this category there are any number of other regular powered speakers that cost less than half the price. Since I use an xr12 digital mixer as a front end I really don't care about a fancy on board mixer or effects. Other than the mixer section is there something in the design of speakers like the Bose that sets them apart from standard powered speakers from Mackie, JBL, EV or any number of lesser known brands? If not is there a particular brand, model, speaker size and configuration someone could suggest. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:50 PM

The S1 Pro has the feature that the DSP is altered (I believe automatically) based on how the speaker is physically positioned, i.e. on a pole, it has a FOH EQ curve (mid scoop); the floor it has a monitor EQ curve (bass cut). Also, the small-size and light weight are part of its appeal. The EV8 has the mixer and a decent app.

I get good results with a Yamaha DBR10. It has DSP that you have to switch with a switch on the back. It's relatively light. Has a full sound. And can get really loud and sound great doing it.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I used an S1 Pro for about 5 years and really liked it, but recently I have moved from using Bose systems to EV systems. I honestly think I'm getting better results from my EV Everse 8 than I did with my S1 Pro. And it's really nice that I don't need to use an external mixer anymore, the app mixer for the EV systems is extremely good.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 03-20-2024, 11:40 AM

There are a number of great small PA systems to choose from.
Look at your needs and then research which PA fits the needs best.

I started with a JBL Tower system but it was a bit larger and more bulky that I wanted.

The Bose S1 Pro is light and sounds great.
I have no need to look any farther myself.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

I’ve had the SA-220, and a couple Bose S1Pros. I loved the sound of the SA-220. I never loved the sound of the BoseS1. It’s cute and portable but the sound quality is lacking once it gets even a little loud. I’ve sold both these systems.
My favorite all-in-one is the Elite D6-58 - awesome mixer, sound and power, with battery. It’s 30# though. For a lighter weight option I got an Everse8.
I’m loving the Everse8 so far. Lightweight, portable, battery powered, and very good sound. For me that’s your alternative to an S1.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:14 PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. Looks like I'll be keeping the sa220 for awhile. I like the sound but I kind of wish there was a different way to mount it, perhaps even in a horizontal position or floor mounted in some way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification