The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2022, 03:49 PM

Default Portable gig seating or stool?

I was gifted a very generous and thoughtful gift of a gig chair from a family member.

Gator Frameworks Guitar Seat with Padded Cushion, Ergonomic Backrest and Fold Out Guitar Stand; Holds both Acoustic and Electric Guitars (GFW-GTR-SEAT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTSA6FU...05H3637784M7RK

However, it does not suit my specific posterior. It’s a bit too small. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives, as I was provided with a gift receipt. Please do not suggest alternative posteriors as I am already working on that. [emoji23]

Thank you!
Old 02-05-2022, 06:47 PM

Depending on how much you want to spend, the Mity Lite Flex 1 or the knock off available at Home Depot and other locations.

Seriously, this chair is the best unless you are specifically looking for something that elevates your sitting height.

Old 02-05-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Depending on how much you want to spend, the Mity Lite Flex 1 or the knock off available at Home Depot and other locations.

Seriously, this chair is the best unless you are specifically looking for something that elevates your sitting height.

I use a chair like this or a 30" round swivel stool.
I prefer the stool but the chair is much easier to pack, haul and set up.
Not sure if one has a better stage presentation over the other.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:13 PM

I have a FrameWorks. The back could use some tweaks but I figured how to deal with it.

I use it at home and when I go to a jam and told to bring a chair I talk it. One nice thing it has built in stand. The problem with the stand is a jumbo won't fit.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-05-2022, 08:21 PM

I'll bet that cushion is bolted on. In the same situation, I'd be looking at a wider cushion, even if it had to be a piece of plywood with firm foam and covered with upholstery. The upholstery could be stapled on underneath where it would not be seen. Much simpler to do than you might think at first. I've made several guitar seats and the cushion is the easiest part. Then you can continue to enjoy a gift you treasure.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-06-2022, 06:38 AM

I use this Ikea bar stool both at home and at gigs.......

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/frankli...lack-60406785/

It isn't padded in any way, but I find it comfortable, even for a couple of hours of sitting. It's light, folds up and for me most importantly, the leg rest is at just the right height so I can rest my guitar on my leg without it either sliding down or making me feel like I'm doing abdominal crunches while I play.

It's also pretty reasonably priced at $45.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

However, it does not suit my specific posterior. It’s a bit too small. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternatives
Can't really help you with viable alternatives given your specific problem, but I want to point something out to others who might be thinking of ordering this.

It is, in fact, an excellent gig seat in terms of height, back support, comfort and transportability - but - that flop down guitar stand at your feet will flop down when you don't want it to and present a trip hazard. Mine did. I tried several strategies to keep it in place including a bungee cord, but nothing really did the job conveniently. I took mine off.
Old 02-06-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
Can't really help you with viable alternatives given your specific problem, but I want to point something out to others who might be thinking of ordering this.

It is, in fact, an excellent gig seat in terms of height, back support, comfort and transportability - but - that flop down guitar stand at your feet will flop down when you don't want it to and present a trip hazard. Mine did. I tried several strategies to keep it in place including a bungee cord, but nothing really did the job conveniently. I took mine off.
I simply spread mine ever so slightly so that the arms fit snugly over the legs of the stool when it's folded up. Problem solved!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 02-06-2022, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapetrarca View Post
I simply spread mine ever so slightly so that the arms fit snugly over the legs of the stool when it's folded up. Problem solved!
Good thought, that never occurred to me. But it did dawn on me that I could not comfortably use it as a guitar stand while I was sitting in it, so that was part of my decision to remove the fold down thing.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:30 AM

I use a drum throne...

Old 02-12-2022, 11:07 AM

Thanks everyone! I will keep checking for options and I appreciate the suggestions.
Old 02-12-2022, 11:15 AM

I started a month ago to look at the specialized seats for guitar playing as my butt was getting sore from my extended playing sessions on my chair which was padded although fairly thin padding.

I found a bargain in this seat cushion for $33. No need to spend $200+ on a chair plus I can move it from chair to chair if I need to. my pain has gone away.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P8VWJVB..._td_asin_2_img
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 02-12-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
I started a month ago to look at the specialized seats for guitar playing as my butt was getting sore from my extended playing sessions on my chair which was padded although fairly thin padding.

I found a bargain in this seat cushion for $33. No need to spend $200+ on a chair plus I can move it from chair to chair if I need to. my pain has gone away.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P8VWJVB..._td_asin_2_img

Brother you “feel my pain.” Thank you!
Old 04-17-2022, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

I'm considering the Gator Frameworks--I do have some concern about the 27" height though. I'm 5'10" and would like my feet to be able to reach the floor as I use a Bluetooth pedal to scroll on my iPad. Is this stool too high for that, and any other reports on the model that the O.P. referenced? (I'd yank off the stand as I don't trust not having a headstock hanger type) I'm wanting something higher than a chair as I want to be more visible to my audience--I mostly stand, but it would be nice to have options.

Last edited by Stringmaster; 04-17-2022 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-17-2022, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringmaster View Post
I'm considering the Gator Frameworks--I do have some concern about the 27" height though. I'm 5'10" and would like my feet to be able to reach the floor as I use a Bluetooth pedal to scroll on my iPad. Is this stool too high for that, and any other reports on the model that the O.P. referenced? (I'd yank off the stand as I don't trust not having a headstock hanger type) I'm wanting something higher than a chair as I want to be more visible to my audience--I mostly stand, but it would be nice to have options.
I am also 5'10". I fold up the rest for the guitar stand and put my feet on the rung the stand is on.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion