The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Default mellow sound

Interesting question...If you have not already done so, try trimming the nails on your right hand ( if you play right handed) and play with the flesh part of your fingertips. This will take the edge off of the sound. Some prefer this ; it does seem to give satisfying chunky sound.

Also the Seagull S6 seems to have good low end response, the cedar top seems to give this influence to all the strings.

If I wanted the sound you discuss, I would use medium gauge strings if you can get comfortable with them. Many times they do produce a more "solid" sound, but this will vary with the guitar.

Random
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Suggestion

The advice from Joel "It's not the guitar it's you" is pointless. The guitar DOES make a big difference. I kind of agree with the couple of posters who have suggestes Rosewood and Cedar. My Taylor 714ce is that combination. My rosewood/spruce larrivee is "brighter". One poster suggested mahogany/spruce. My experience with hog/spruce (and i've played a LOT of those) makes me believe that you will probably be disappointed. Not that they don't produce a great sound, but from your posts, I don't think it is a sound that will suit you at all.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flouris View Post
I want something with a warm and mellow sound (I mostly finger pick, slow.. mellow, lazy, narcotic sounding acoustic stuff)
Why don't you get a nylon strung guitar?

Steel strung acoustics have metal strings that go twang
Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
The advice from Joel "It's not the guitar it's you" is pointless. The guitar DOES make a big difference...
Hmmm... then how do explain that most jazz guitarists play maple body guitars? According to you, they should should all be playing cedar and rosewood.
The body wood affects overtones and such, slightly, but the strings and player's technique are what makes it "bright" or not. Play your cedar/rosewood guitar with a thin pick and 80/20 strings. It won't be warm.
Gibson ES-330
Old 04-11-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
though the dread has disappointed you, i still want to plug an old used Martin D-35 for what you are describing here. bassy, warm, meelo, narcotic, all words to describe the sound i get out of my 1973.
Agreed, especially with phosphor bronze strings. Most people consider the D-35 to be the bass king of what posters above are calling the "D-28 family." The dread might still have too much "punch" for you (something I look for), so maybe one of the rosewood OM configurations (OM-21, OM-28, or even OM-35 is you can find one) might suit you better. They also have a wider 1 3/4" nut.

As a Seagull lover, I agree that they will probably all be a bit brighter than you are looking for. Although they do have a wonderful tone of their own.

Of course, as several posters have mentioned, all this is just us spending your money. You gotta get these babies on your lap and listen to them.

One wonderful tip I was given some time ago is to also have someone else play the guitar for you. A guitar sounds a lot different from the "other side," and that's how the world hears it.

- mike

Playing a resonator guitar is kind of like putting strings on a chrome-plated garbage can, then hitting it with a baseball bat - only it usually doesn't sound as good as that.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:47 AM

I would try out an OM or 000 model Martin with Rosewood back and sides and see how you like it. From what you described I think you will be happy. I think Taylor guitars tend to be on the brighter side.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:28 PM

What guitars have you owned/played? You don't mention which guitars you are talking about.

I would agree that you should look at cedar top guitars. In addition to rosewood b/s, mahogany b/s can yield a nice and warm full sound with a nice open sounding bass.

I like the Taylor 314 for all around versatility without too much brightness. I am also VERY sensitive to overly-bright guitars.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 04-11-2008, 12:38 PM

Mahogany back, sides, AND top!

Try different brands and sizes. Martin may have the sound you are looking for, including some growl in the bass.

Happy shopping.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Franklin View Post
Have you ever heard a baritone guitar? You can probably find some sound samples from one on the web ... it's tuned lower and designed for the lower register ... Find a store and try one -- might be just the thing.
This is a very good suggestion.

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 04-11-2008, 01:30 PM

i don't think its a "folly" to recommend a specific guitar. I think recommending a specific guitar might actually be a good way to help this guy out.

If you are used to dreadnoughts, I'd suggest the Santa Cruz D/PW. Very warm yet sweet; aggressive, yet sensitive

Also, as aforementioned, the martin d-35 is a growler. might wanna check that out too.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:31 PM

My J-45 is not very bright. It warm and woody sounding. Has the Gibson "clunk". Just a thought.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50
Old 04-12-2008, 10:15 AM

Try to find a used Guild D55, some of the older ones had thicker necks.
They are a Rosewood & Sitka Spruce Dred with scalloped, 1/4 inch braces.
(Like the Martin D35 unscalloped, and HD-35 scalloped Dreds).
These guitars offer a deep,warm, rich tone, but with a great string to string seperation, that also offers a good mid and high tone.
The used Guilds can be very affordable.
Dale.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:26 AM

I love my 34 year old Guild D-55 that I've owned since new, but it's nowhere near as warm as my 2 year old Taylor GS cedar/mahogany. That guitar is warmth personified (guitarified?!) without being muddy and STRONG bass. Just my two cents, but probably worth less than that!

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...
Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 AM

Well if you're on a $500 and below budget (from the guitars the op has talked about) I'd take a look at a new Guild GAD-25 or a used Martin D-15.
Mahogany tops. Very mellow and compared to spruce topped guitars, the non-wound strings sound muted by comparison.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Default A few ideas

I think Martins are generally a good choice for a more mellow sound. My first choice would be an OM-28V. Other mellow favorites of mine are: 000-15S, 000-28VS, HD-28VS. You might also try a Gibson J-45 if you can find a good one.

Best of luck in your search.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion