The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-27-2016, 10:54 AM

Default PRS vela

Interesting guitar. Played one quite a bit while amp shopping yesterday. I like everything about it, including the looks of the Gretsch looking single coil neck up.

However! I don't know if that neck pickup is super strong, or it's placed in one of those legendary "node" points, but it eats false harmonics, and true ones too! I couldn't make it "pick squeal", you know where you pick in the right spot with both the pick and the flesh of your thumb? Couldn't do it. Switch to the bridge, no problem.

Really puts me off. Like it's the first time PRS didn't think/test things out well enough.

Anybody play one?
Old 05-27-2016, 11:04 AM

Interesting. Usually you can get pinch harmonics on a PRS by picking almost anywhere. I may have to check one out!
Old 06-02-2016, 05:46 AM

I think I want one...

Old 06-02-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleamp View Post
I think I want one...

I hadn't seen that! I got interested originally when for some reason Vernon Reid from Living Color chose the Vela as the platform for his stage guitars. His is nothing like the standard model http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/..._reids_s2_vela

Living color is in my top 5 "How do you people NOT know them!" bands.

Edited to add, "Chappers'" channel is quickly becoming one my faves!
Old 06-02-2016, 07:00 AM

I think the Vela is a really cool guitar, but I like the Starla WAY better. If I get another electric someday, it will be a Starla

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars