The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-23-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I have no idea...
Yeah, I think that's pretty clear by now.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:17 PM

10 or 9 gauge for me on electric.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 05-26-2016, 01:35 AM

Default Strings for new Tele?

Incidentally, gauge aside, you should try Ernie Ball cobalt series - they're my electric string of choice at the moment, they give a slightly stronger output and the tone is great.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 05-26-2016, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I decided to go with the 10s, since that seemed to be the average of all the recommendations. Gonna give 'em a whirl this weekend. Thanks, everyone!
Music: The original mood-altering, non-fattening wonder drug. Ask your doctor if music is right for you. Common side effects include, but are not limited to, spontaneous happiness, increased memory and motor function, connection to others, movement of the feet and head, and the occasional persistence of catchy melodies.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:43 PM

i use the d'addario exl 110 on my tele and it works perfectly, for me. don't be afraid to experiment with brands and gauges of strings, just like you would for your acoustic.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-26-2016, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
Yeah, I think that's pretty clear by now.
That was unnecessary.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-26-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry415 View Post
I'm a rhythm player on acoustic, and probably will be with the Tele too... classic rock and folk-rock kinda stuff. No interest in shredding or metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ras1500 View Post
I'm a fan of the wound G string. Also a fan of flat wound strings...D'Addario ECG24's are good too. Yes, they are 11 gauge sets.
Since you're mostly a rhythm player I'd go with the flatwound 11's - takes out some of the "sting" without sacrificing the "twang" - and think in terms of possibly going up to 12's, the way Teles came from the factory when they were first introduced; couple reasons for this:
  • Speaking from experience here (I used to own one of the very first '52 reissues from 1982 - bought it brand-new back in early '83), you'll notice a marked difference in the acoustic response - bigger, rounder, fuller - that translates into a broader-based amplified tone that fills more sonic space, while still being recognizably "Tele" in character; old Leo knew what he was doing, and if you're a fan of pre-CBS Fender tone in every sense of the word, this is your combination...
  • If you're going to be switching off between acoustic and electric on the job, many players (myself included) find it advantageous to go for a similar feel between the two - if you have 12's or 13's on your acoustic you don't need to get halfway (or more) through a song before you reacclimate to 9's or 10's, especially with a plain G...
  • Should you decide that you want/need to do some lead work, it's easier to set the action low - I mean really low, without buzzing - with flats, one of the main reasons the '50s jazzers and the first generation of hot-licks country pickers preferred them...
  • Again, if you're going to be playing mostly rhythm I think you'll find that a wound G provides a more balanced response - smoother, less edgy, and sits better in the mix IME, especially if your lead player is using an unwound G...
Old 05-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got forty five years with FENDER ROCK N ROLL 150s, so far.

See? It even has your guitar on the label. Fender changed their scale names and packaging so they look like this now and are called 150Ls:

You can thank me now.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-26-2016, 06:38 PM

I am with Bob on this. 9s....
Old 05-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm starting to feel like a little kid, watching mommy and daddy fight over what's best for him. Love the passion around here! Been taking notes on everything said, and I'll try it all in good time.
Music: The original mood-altering, non-fattening wonder drug. Ask your doctor if music is right for you. Common side effects include, but are not limited to, spontaneous happiness, increased memory and motor function, connection to others, movement of the feet and head, and the occasional persistence of catchy melodies.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I have no idea why people are saying to put 11s in it. Or 10s for that matter. 9s come with the guitar for a reason. I never did get this "make it hard to play" camp of stringing electrics.

If Billy Gibbons, of ZZ Top can get his sound with 7s...yes, 7s....why in the world would you go to 11s..? I don't get it.

As for brands, Ernie Ball does very well for a lot of players.
I think the reason folks are telling him 11s is because he says it's his first electric. And he's going to do rhythm mostly. For someone dipping a toe in the electric waters (bad and potentially lethal analogy) 9s can feel pretty bad. Which means you will sound pretty bad.

I agree 11s are a bit much. 10s will take some getting used to stepping down from 12s or 13s, but they give great tone, and are easy-peasy for an acoustic player to bend form here to wherever the current fender neck radius lets you.

My opinion: 11s too much. 9s not enough. At least as the first set of strings.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:11 PM

I hear ya and really he is going to do what he wants and draw his own conclusions. My feeling is that he will not be able to delve into the guitar properly, I don't think strumming an electric is really where its at. I think very soon he will see there is much more to do than strum and in fact, he is going to let go of strumming the electric when he sees this. Its a hold over from acoustic play and the tele can give you so much if you work it.

But yeh, Crissy Hynde, Keith Richards, and a ton of punk bands all strum and I betcha they use 10s or bigger.

I just want to encourage the OP not to just strum and when he gets bending, 10s are gonna be a world of hurt.

Anyhow, have fun!
Old 05-27-2016, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think very soon he will see there is much more to do than strum and in fact, he is going to let go of strumming the electric when he sees this. Its a hold over from acoustic play and the tele can give you so much if you work it.

Anyhow, have fun!
Message received, Davis. When I said I was a strummer, I didn't mean to imply it was all I ever intended to do. The whole idea behind dipping my toe in the electric waters (love that analogy!) was to broaden my horizons. And yes, absolutely, to have fun!
Old 05-27-2016, 05:59 AM

Fender strings are made by D'Addario.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 05-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry415 View Post
Got my first electric ever coming soon via UPS... an American Standard Telecaster. Whenever I buy previously-owned guitars, I always take them to my local tech for a set-up and ask him to give them an initial once-over. As a newbie to electric, I'm wondering what strings to ask for. I've heard that fistfights have erupted over wound-G string vs. non-wound-G, et cetera, so I'm feeling way out of my depth here. :-)

I'm a rhythm player on acoustic, and probably will be with the Tele too... classic rock and folk-rock kinda stuff. No interest in shredding or metal.

Whatever ones feel good to you. Which acoustic strings do you use? Does the manufacturer have equivalent strings for electrics? If not, just try a bunch over the next month or two until you find the ones you like best. Since strings are so cheap it is easy to try out various makes and models (gauges).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars