The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-24-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
I took the amp back to GC Saturday and had a tech look at it and it took about a minute to warm up and there you go, bingo. He had not heard this sound ever in all his years, not like this. The other tech said it was one of the tubes that was the culprit since they are haloed with a wire over the top to hold them in place. This amp was the loudest he had heard but in a different frequency. D's and D's on the bass side were the culprit, so I returned it and went shopping. I went to another GC in route with my other duties and played an AC4-TV mini for about 5 minutes and there again was that same resonant frequency on the same 2 notes. One salesman there said I am asking to much for this amp to deliver, just another "I don't care to remedy the situation" kinda attitude from a seemingly decent salesman at GC.

I couldn't get any other amp to do this except the 2 ac4's. I tried another AC4-12 and it did not seem to have this problem, but just could not pull the trigger on another VOX.

Round 4 coming in on Wed or Thur, I took my Tele in and hid myself for about an hour on a Fender Bassbreaker 007 and although it sounded good it made alot of poping and buzzing when not grounding the strings or metal chassis parts on the guitar. So no Fender for now so I looked at a Marshall DSL 5-C 1X10 and it sounded great clean but not as good as say a Blues Jr or Superchamp X2, but at lower volumes it seems to have enough headroom for my house. The ultra gain is just OK when using all 5 watts with just a little gain and it sounded pretty good for distortion, but any more and it is just muddy. The deep switch helped a bit and it is tolerable to a degree. It's a small wattage amp and it still has good volume and has a grit in the clean channel when turned up to about 8 or so and drives the speaker pretty well. There is a need for an overdrive pedal and a reverb pedal.

Rant continues, I ordered the Marshall amp from G.C. after playing it at Sam Ash after I found out I would have to wait for a refund check from G.C. for about the same amount of time as it takes for G.C. to ship one from their DC in KC so I did it, it will be here Wed or Thur pm.

My hopes are that this will work out fine so I bought a reverb pedal, an MXR Reverb M300 model and it is a superb sounding pedal to the TC Hall of fame with a few less choices, but superb sound and from your pedal board you can toggle between the six types of reverb while taping the Tone pot with your foot while standing. Kinda cool and convenient it has Plate, Spring, Epic, Mod, Hall, and PAD. All being just as clear as can be and convenient to use.

Wish me luck, I'm running out of options, if this does not work out then it's only one other choice to make, Fender BassBreaker 007 or a Pro Jr. III, both higher wattage than I need, but I may have to go that route if not pleased with the Marshall. Again I live in a small house with limited space and in a 55+ community.

Rant over!
I hope your situation works out. For me, these are all the reasons I sold my amp, gave up looking for one, and paired my modest little pedalboard with a Joyo AC tone that I picked up for $20 from TGP. That + a mixer I already had + nice headphones = no troubles.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:01 AM

Default Marshall had issues also! X2 here I come!

I took back the Marshall after 1 day, I was disappointed in the sound when I got it home that night, and the next day I turned it on and there was a noticeable sizzle when I turned it on without an instrument plugged in and even more when I plugged in the guitar even without volume. Bacon sizzling is all I can describe and the longer it was plugged in and on the more annoying it sounded. I returned it right there on the spot and said to myself Fender or Bust!

Well Monday morning I went to GC and bought a Fender Super Champ X2 after I demoed a Bugera V5, a Fender Bassbreaker 007 and the X2 and thought why not and pulled the trigger on the X2. What a versatile little amp and it sounds great at low volume in either channel, I parred it with an Ebtech Hum X and it is as quiet an amp as I have heard, thanks to the Hum-X I can play without any ground loop hum in between changes.

Great little amp if you ask me!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 05-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
I took back the Marshall after 1 day, I was disappointed in the sound when I got it home that night, and the next day I turned it on and there was a noticeable sizzle when I turned it on without an instrument plugged in and even more when I plugged in the guitar even without volume. Bacon sizzling is all I can describe and the longer it was plugged in and on the more annoying it sounded. I returned it right there on the spot and said to myself Fender or Bust!

Well Monday morning I went to GC and bought a Fender Super Champ X2 after I demoed a Bugera V5, a Fender Bassbreaker 007 and the X2 and thought why not and pulled the trigger on the X2. What a versatile little amp and it sounds great at low volume in either channel, I parred it with an Ebtech Hum X and it is as quiet an amp as I have heard, thanks to the Hum-X I can play without any ground loop hum in between changes.

Great little amp if you ask me!
i use the ebtech humx when i pair two amps, but, it appears that you are using it with one amp? it shouldn't be that noisy if so.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-25-2016, 12:00 PM

Considering this is the third new amp with noise problems. It's much more likely to be a grounding issue the the outlet or RF from something nearby.

Martin 000-15SM
Martin OM28V
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Eastman T386
1890's C. Bruno & Sons Parlor
Old 05-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verstft View Post
Considering this is the third new amp with noise problems. It's much more likely to be a grounding issue the the outlet or RF from something nearby.
I didn't have the Hum-X when I had the Marshall, I tested the X2 with and without the Hum-X and there was only a slight change in G.L. hum. It was the Amp all the way not my power. I have good ground and I do not have a T.V. in the house. RF aside, I have little or no issues with my power supply. My only other large appliance is a relatively new refrigerator, the only device that emits a signal is my router.
Marshall has gone in the dumps for their affordable amps since they are now made in Vietnam, of course aside from that is their still high end British made units.
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars