The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I have Lyric in one guitar, but it needs a bunch of EQ knob twiddling to sound it's best, and if I take that guitar somewhere like an open mic, I just use a vocal mic because it's easier.

Since I've been using Dazzos, a SBT, I take one of the four guitars I have them in when I play out. A well installed Dazzo needs little to no EQ, because there are a variety with varying degrees of bass response. Teddy Randazzo will work with any installer to insure top performance.

Dazzo into RedEye into any amp or mixer set flat is all it takes.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I have Lyric in one guitar, but it needs a bunch of EQ knob twiddling to sound it's best, and if I take that guitar somewhere like an open mic, I just use a vocal mic because it's easier.

Since I've been using Dazzos, a SBT, I take one of the four guitars I have them in when I play out. A well installed Dazzo needs little to no EQ, because there are a variety with varying degrees of bass response. Teddy Randazzo will work with any installer to insure top performance.

Dazzo into RedEye into any amp or mixer set flat is all it takes.
I found the same problems with the Lyric when I installed it in two different guitars: a 2012 Martin D-18 and a 2013 Taylor 528 First Edition. I even ordered an LR Baggs Venue to try to bring the boxiness of the Lyric under control and to add some bass response to the amplified tone of both these tone-monster guitars. I was able to achieve a barely satisfactory amped tone and finally left the Lyric in one of the guitars and traded it in on another guitar.

The videos from two different players that have showcased the Lyric sounding good in a band format in which its boxiness is not prevalent may be the result of that tone being masked in the mix of all the instruments. It would be nice to view videos from them that show these players in solo performance to hear the Lyric's stand-alone tone.

Glad to hear your Dazzos are working out great. I'll have to look further into them!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-22-2016, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I really like the K&K - but if you are talking about a pickup for playing out, make sure you get something that doesn't need a battery inside your guitar. Nothing worse than realizing you need to pull all the strings from your guitar to see if a dead battery is the problem. Same with preamps - one that gets its power from the PA or amp, like the RedEye, is perfect. But so much of your sound is going to depend on the quality of your amp, so thats probably the most important decision -
Old 05-22-2016, 04:16 PM

Default Amulet

I have literally tried them all over the years, in my madi andi 28 I have a trance audio amulet. Nothing has ever come anywhere close to being as musical. You want to find someone well experienced to install and not cheap but logic dictates a cheap pickup in an expensive guitar you get what you get
Old 05-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark neel View Post
I have literally tried them all over the years, in my madi andi 28 I have a trance audio amulet. Nothing has ever come anywhere close to being as musical. You want to find someone well experienced to install and not cheap but logic dictates a cheap pickup in an expensive guitar you get what you get
+1 Trance Audio Amulet!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-23-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I really like the K&K - but if you are talking about a pickup for playing out, make sure you get something that doesn't need a battery inside your guitar. Nothing worse than realizing you need to pull all the strings from your guitar to see if a dead battery is the problem. Same with preamps - one that gets its power from the PA or amp, like the RedEye, is perfect. But so much of your sound is going to depend on the quality of your amp, so thats probably the most important decision -
The key for me is to mount the battery on the neck block, just under the trussrod. Just enough room to squeeze a couple of fingers passed the high strings to pull it out. No detuning, no removing strings, and it doesn't affect the back, sides, or top resonating.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:34 PM

K&K minis on both my Martins and on my musical partner's Martin as well. Never had an issue. Very natural sounding. No under saddle "quack" or any other artificial tonality to our ears. Personally, at this point I'd never use anything else.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Modli...23585177732114
Old 05-23-2016, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Hey Richie,
The Baggs M80 has worked well for me in my D18 straight into a Fishman Loudbox Performer...I play full-time with a wide range of material, dynamics and attack. The M80 has the versatility and headroom I need for that. Took some tweakin' and fiddlin' but it works nicely and sounds particularly sweet for fingerstyle. It may not be "the best" for everyone, but I'd say it does this Martin dread justice...here's a sample at a quiet brunch gig:

I think it looks pretty cool on this ambered spruce top too!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:16 PM

Noledog,
Really great sound! The M-80 does sound good, as does the Fishman. I suppose it has a lot to do with the level of talent you put into it. Great job.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Noledog,
Really great sound! The M-80 does sound good, as does the Fishman. I suppose it has a lot to do with the level of talent you put into it. Great job.
Thank you Marty, that was nice of you to say!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCS View Post
In general, if you want the actual characteristics of your instrument reproduced, stay away from undersaddle transducers. They only really amplify the sound of the saddle and the strings which means it negates the idea of having a great sounding acoustic guitar in the first place.

Go with a soundboard transducer. Take your pick, I currently use a couple of JJB pickups which is basically just a piezo disc with a piece of wire soldered to it. K&K uses the same technology. If you have the money though, go with one of the systems by Trance Audio. Their Acoustic Lens pickups are triaxial which means they sense vibrations three-dimensionally. Probably the best sounding system I've heard.
Although I agree with you, it's not really that simple. There's a reason why such a large number of touring musicians still use UST's and magnetic pickups. They need to cut through the mix, have a fairly feedback resistant pickup and have something that sounds okay to good with strumming. The K&K pure mini is probably the most recommended pickup on this forum, which is fine but let's be honest; it won't work for everyone.

I have the K&K pure mini and it is nice. I understand the praise and why people like the simplicity. However, I honestly would never use it on a loud stage and it would never be my first choice for strumming. If I am playing with one or two other musicians in an acoustic setting then the K&K would most likely be fine. I just find that it's a warm sounding pickup that doesn't cut through enough and it never sounds all that great when aggressively strummed. I characterize the Martin tone as warm and full so it makes sense to match the K&K with it. The thing is, I would be more inclined to try a more hi-fi system like the Anthem to combat some of that warmth. It's the same reason why I am thinking of changing the pickup in my Taylor. I currently have the Anthem but my Taylor is bright. The two together are just a bit too much.

I would love to try the Trance Amulet M though. It seems to add a good amount of high end that's missing from the K&K or other SBT's systems.
Old 05-29-2016, 07:48 PM

I put an Anthem SL in my Martin D-15M and its a great sounding pickup for that guitar. The SL model lets you blend between the under saddle pickup and the mic. It's very easy to dial in at a gig and with a rubber sound hole stopper cut out for the inside-the-sound-hole controls it can stand up to a lot of stage volume and not feed back. One of the more "sounds like the guitar only louder" pickups I've found.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:48 PM

Here's what I have....

D-35----------------------Lyric

D-18----------------------M1A

Pono DS20---------------M80

Taylor 450 12 string-----Martin Gold Line UST

All of them sound really good thru the Fender SFX Pro Amp.

Problem is though, at my weekly jam sessions, we're all acoustic, and practicing at home is mostly acoustic. So even though I have all these great pickups, they're not being used much. No they are not for sale.

Edit: I guess what I am saying is that yes get a quality pickup, but don't scrimp on the amp. A great amp makes any pickup sound good. Your sound is like a chain, it'll only be as good as your weakest link.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 05-29-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Although I agree with you, it's not really that simple. There's a reason why such a large number of touring musicians still use UST's and magnetic pickups. They need to cut through the mix, have a fairly feedback resistant pickup and have something that sounds okay to good with strumming. The K&K pure mini is probably the most recommended pickup on this forum, which is fine but let's be honest; it won't work for everyone.

I have the K&K pure mini and it is nice. I understand the praise and why people like the simplicity. However, I honestly would never use it on a loud stage and it would never be my first choice for strumming. If I am playing with one or two other musicians in an acoustic setting then the K&K would most likely be fine. I just find that it's a warm sounding pickup that doesn't cut through enough and it never sounds all that great when aggressively strummed. I characterize the Martin tone as warm and full so it makes sense to match the K&K with it. The thing is, I would be more inclined to try a more hi-fi system like the Anthem to combat some of that warmth. It's the same reason why I am thinking of changing the pickup in my Taylor. I currently have the Anthem but my Taylor is bright. The two together are just a bit too much.

I would love to try the Trance Amulet M though. It seems to add a good amount of high end that's missing from the K&K or other SBT's systems.
Well, I think it also comes down to how much time you want to spend mastering EQ and feedback problems in general. Beck, Neil Young and Jackson Browne all use either FRAPs or systems by Trance Audio and they all perform on large stages with several other musicians. I realise their sound guys probably have a lot to do with this, but I also know that musicians such as Michael Hedges would play just fine with an SBT on a stage approaching rock show volumes. But I agree, USTs are more plug and play and easier to deal with definitely.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCS View Post
Well, I think it also comes down to how much time you want to spend mastering EQ and feedback problems in general. Beck, Neil Young and Jackson Browne all use either FRAPs or systems by Trance Audio and they all perform on large stages with several other musicians. I realise their sound guys probably have a lot to do with this, but I also know that musicians such as Michael Hedges would play just fine with an SBT on a stage approaching rock show volumes. But I agree, USTs are more plug and play and easier to deal with definitely.
Oh absolutely, I was definitely generalizing a bit there. I do see a bit of a shift in acoustic amplification though, which is a good thing. It seems as though the older professionals like Clapon, Paul Simon etc are content with UST systems where as the younger generation is at least trying to improve their tone by using the aura imaging, Anthem etc. It seems as though the Anthem and spectrum DI are the go-to option for a lot of people these days.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification