The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-16-2016, 07:15 AM

Default Anyone had a crack at building a kit guitar?

Just had a DIY Kit guitar arrive today. It's from Pitbull Guitars, based here in Australia, and they are very affordable, and there are some great looking kits available.
This is my Les Paul copy, with a Spalted Maple veneer, Mahogany Body and Neck with a Rosewood Fret Board.
You have to complete all the electronics, and the finish as well. Upgrades are also available from the company, or you can supply your own!
So looking forward to this!

Here is a mock up of what it could look like. I was initially looking to do a bright green stain, but that timber looks so good, I'm not sure what I want to do now!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

Last edited by Zandit75; 05-25-2016 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 AM

That's going to be a beautiful Les Paul! It's a great learning experience assembling your own guitar. I did my own Frankenstrat build but I bought all the parts separately (Warmoth neck, Fender Strat MIM body, electronics).

The one thing that worries me about a build like yours is the painting. Is it easy to get a nice gloss?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:03 PM

From what I have seen on the DIY forum, absolute beginners have come out with beautiful finishes. Some have done bursts, others have used Stamp pad ink. There is "How To" videos everywhere. I'm looking forward to the challenge!
Old 05-16-2016, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

That's really cool! I'm following this thread for pics. I've built an amp, but never a guitar and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process. What pickups are you going to use on that LP?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:40 PM

You can find my kit build threads here: lots of fun!

http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/s...age-Amber-Fade

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luth...kit-build.html

Old 05-16-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
That's really cool! I'm following this thread for pics. I've built an amp, but never a guitar and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process. What pickups are you going to use on that LP?
Hi Steve, I have no idea what the included pickups are, and whether they are an actual brand or not. The are Humbucker styled, but to be honest, I have no experience with Electric Guitars.
A good friend has suggested maybe upgrading them to P90's or Seymour Duncan Classics, but until I have some experience in soldering, I'm not going to go anywhere near those! Besides, adding new pickups will basically double the cost of the guitar!
This kit cost me $212.00 AUD delivered, including some copper shielding for the cavities.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmusicltd View Post
Great looking build Madmusic, love the detail you put the time into!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Just had a DIY Kit guitar arrive today. It's from Pitbull Guitars, based here in Australia, and they are very affordable, and there are some great looking kits available.
This is my Les Paul copy, with a Spalted Mable veneer, Mahogany Body and Neck with a Rosewood Fret Board.
You have to complete all the electronics, and the finish as well. Upgrades are also available from the company, or you can supply your own!
So looking forward to this!

Here is a mock up of what it could look like. I was initially looking to do a bright green stain, but that timber looks so good, I'm not sure what I want to do now!
You might consider using products from this company: http://www.wudtone.com/

Love the woods - the Spalted Maple is especially nice! I have been very pleased with the results I have achieved on the tele body (made from scratch by me):

Old 05-16-2016, 08:55 PM

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 05-16-2016, 09:21 PM

I looked at Wudtone, but they are quite expensive, especially the shipping.
The crowd I purchased the kit form have their own brand of stain called Dingotone. All natural stain with no chemicals etc. Their kits include stain, intensifier, and top coat.
I am going to use a black stain for the back of the guitar, maybe including the neck, I'm not sure yet. As mentioned, I was looking at doing the front in a bright green, similar to the PRS custom shown below, but I'm not sure how it will look on this spalted top. It does have some nice flame in the veneer as well, so I hope I can bring that out in the final finish.

Last edited by Zandit75; 05-17-2016 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
I looked at Wudtone, but they are quite expensive, especially the shipping.
The crowd I purchased the kit form have their own brand of stain called Dingotone. All natural stain with no chemicals etc. Their kits include stain, intensifier, and top coat.
I am going to use a black stain for the back of the guitar, maybe including the neck, I'm not sure yet. As mentioned, I was looking at doing the front in a bright green, similar to the PRS custom shown below, but I'm not sure how it will look on this spalted top. It does have some nice flame in the veneer as well, so I hope I can bring that out in the final finish.
The way it's normally done is a dark stain, black or such is put down first, left to dry, then sanded away enough to bring some lightness back in the wood. Then the green stain goes over that. When the finish goes on, the black pops out again and highlights the figuring. I don't know how much veneer you have there. In that case it may be better to just apply the green on top.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
The way it's normally done is a dark stain, black or such is put down first, left to dry, then sanded away enough to bring some lightness back in the wood. Then the green stain goes over that. When the finish goes on, the black pops out again and highlights the figuring. I don't know how much veneer you have there. In that case it may be better to just apply the green on top.
Yep, that's exactly how it is done. It can be done either with a dye, or a coloured grain filler.
The top veneer is extremely thin, so I'm not sure which way I want to go just yet.
Another option is just to go with a clear coat, which looking at this photo would still look magic.

Decisions, decisions!!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:34 PM

Update #1....
Spent my Sunday afternoon sanding the body and neck. Super light sanding on the veneer to 400grit just to clean up any imperfections. 180grit on the back and neck at this time. Will go to 240grit next time I work on it before applying the black stain to it.
Shaped the head stock to something a little more to my liking.

Was under the watchful eyes of my supervisors. Mind you, I have to keep just as much of an eye on them as well, making sure they don't **** their leg on something!!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:03 AM

Update #2
Finished my first round of sanding, and now taping off the edges so I can apply grain filler to the back and sides.

Applied some Ebony Timbermate. Just a thin coat, as I want this more so as a grain intensifier

Dammit!! I didn't think to plug the holes for the tuning machines!! Will have to wait until it dries to see what needs to be done to fix it.

Last edited by Zandit75; 05-30-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 AM

A number of years ago I built a Bulldog LP as I needed a "combat" guitar for certain venues. It plays so nicely that my 1959RI sits at home more than I had anticipated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars