The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-03-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gip111 View Post
Man that almost looks like it's made to be played sitting down!

I like the way this thread turned out, lots of good advice, opinions etc. I don't gig so I just lounge around and play, usually in front of my PC but almost always sitting and I have grown and aged with acoustics, at 60 now I get the desire to try an electric after being molded to a bigger body guitar.

By contrast, I'm pretty comfortable playing most bass guitars in a sitting position but that's a different animal I guess.

Really appreciate all the comments, thank you!
The Klein, aka Kleinberger was designed to be extremely comfy when seated.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 PM

I agree that everyone is different due to body shape. But one thing I have found is that the larger the guitar the harder it is to play in less than classical position. So for me 335s and big hollow bodies require a left foot stool and more upright chair due to the guitar and plug. Smaller bodies like Strats, Teles, PRSs and SGs are easier to play from a sloppier position in a more comfortable, loungey chair. SGs(be careful to find a non divey neck one) and strats are my favorites for pure comfort.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I don't find the Les Paul uncomfortable to play sitting down but it does get heavy. Is there something specific about the Les Paul you find uncomfortable? I'm wondering if you'll find the same issue with most other electric guitars.

Avoid a flying V - can be difficult to play sitting down.
LPs with no weight relief are quite tail-heavy. My 2013 Traditional wants to fall off my right thigh all the time. My other LP, a Studio with modern weight relief, doesn't do this.

I find Flying Vs to be very comfortable in the classical position. YMMV
Telecasters play very nice in a "normal" sitting position IMHO.

And about a dozen electrics

New/Old Gibby owners here UNITE! Let's see em!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 AM

Regardless of weight, I certainly play any electric guitar, and some smaller bodied acoustics, with a strap even while sitting. Any effort, even unconcious, of "holding" the guitar, limits my dexterity, and speed of movement over large areas of the fretboard. I also wear my guitars relatively high up in an "uncool" position.

Last edited by blue; 05-16-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:04 AM

Jazzmaster, for a standard playing style.

If you like getting the neck up, you can't beat an "ergo."

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-27-2016, 08:13 PM

Fender Jazz Master.
Designed to be played sitting.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 05-28-2016, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Regardless of weight, I certainly play any electric guitar, and some smaller bodied acoustics, with a strap even while sitting. Any effort, even unconcious, of "holding" the guitar, limits my dexterity, and speed of movement over large areas of the fretboard. I also wear my guitars relatively high up in an "uncool" position.
Same and same .... electrics with a strap even if sitting down (they always have their straps attached even in their cases) and when standing I too wear my guitar up around my chest/stomach.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gip111 View Post
...I might even settle for a hollow body since they are a little bigger but really like the sound of the tele and strat...
Try one of these on for size:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5622TCBBk

Quacks like a Strat, twangs like a Tele, and gets those jangly-snarky tones that nobody else can - pair it with a blackface Super/Twin or AC30 and you'll probably never need/want anything else. FYI it's about the same weight as a Les Paul, but the balance is dramatically different - I own both (mine's red, BTW) and I find this one more comfortable both sitting and standing (then again, I'm an old archtop/hollowbody guy from way back so big guitars don't faze me). In case you're not familiar with the model, here's a review:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=429905
Old 05-29-2016, 07:59 AM

most comfortable...big arse barcalounger....semi-reclined with a strap on the git...incase I fall asleep

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars