The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Latest original song on Youtube

As part of my resolution to remain GAS-free, I plan to spend a lot more time in this section of the forum. Thank you in advance for listening. It's appreciated.

This is the fourth video I've posted here. I had help on this one, as on the last video ("Election Night" played on a Larrivee OM-03) I posted. This is a pretty mellow tune, and like the last one it has a socially-conscious element to it without being confrontational about politics.

The video guy had some technology issues with his new camera, and so the video isn't quite as smooth as it should be.

I played this on an old 1960s Juan Estruch classical guitar that I got in trade for another guitar. I blogged about that here — along with the required guitar photos — if you're interested: http://www.pdxacoustic.com/2014/10/j...al-guitar.html

"Uphill (American Dream)" by Chuck Cheesman ~ played on an old Juan Estruch classical guitar.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:22 AM

Lovely, lovely work.

"It's hard to get rolling when it's all uphill". That, friends and neighbors, is a very nice vocal hook.

The guitar playing is lovely, the guitar recording is lovely and I'd really like to learn more about the recording.

It looks like a M/S mic set up in the video. I see a SDC I'm assuming as the mid mic and a LDC (assuming set to figure 8) as the S mic. Preamp? Settings, if any, used on the input side of the recording (EQ? compression? HPF? LPF?)

The guitar is very clean and well balanced sound. Care to share the mix decisions.

Hoenstly, great work here in terms of performing and recording and mixing. It's hard to find someone who is accomplished in all realms. Your hard work and effort and talent really shine through.

You're probably not looking for suggestions becuase the final project is so polished and clean and really, really good. This is just more of an observation.....On such an intimate and soulful storyteller song perhaps a shorter tail on the vocal reverb? I think it would bring the listener "closer" to you and sound more conversational which I think would work well here. Just a thought and NOT a critique at all.

Again, really well done.
Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_m View Post
Lovely, lovely work.

"It's hard to get rolling when it's all uphill". That, friends and neighbors, is a very nice vocal hook.

The guitar playing is lovely, the guitar recording is lovely and I'd really like to learn more about the recording.

It looks like a M/S mic set up in the video. I see a SDC I'm assuming as the mid mic and a LDC (assuming set to figure 8) as the S mic. Preamp? Settings, if any, used on the input side of the recording (EQ? compression? HPF? LPF?)

The guitar is very clean and well balanced sound. Care to share the mix decisions.

Hoenstly, great work here in terms of performing and recording and mixing. It's hard to find someone who is accomplished in all realms. Your hard work and effort and talent really shine through.

You're probably not looking for suggestions becuase the final project is so polished and clean and really, really good. This is just more of an observation.....On such an intimate and soulful storyteller song perhaps a shorter tail on the vocal reverb? I think it would bring the listener "closer" to you and sound more conversational which I think would work well here. Just a thought and NOT a critique at all.

Again, really well done.
Thanks so much!

I agree less reverb tail would be better. The recording was done with an engineer who really likes this kind of thing, and I did have him dial the reverb back a bit. But I also like to let people do what they do. We did the mix and final master very quickly while the video guy pack up his gear. I've done four of these now, and it's a fun way to work. I may do a few more, though I'd really like to get going on a new cd
Old 11-20-2014, 12:43 PM

I listened with headphones and it sounds very good! The reverb sounded very slight and was barely noticeable...was it changed after David's comment? Everyone has their own opinion about reverb and how it should be applied. I generally like a low volume with longer release which yields a larger space image so, I think the reverb in this was perfect. Thanks for sharing that here!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 11-20-2014, 01:23 PM

Beautiful song....Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:41 PM

Very good
Old 11-21-2014, 09:56 AM
AGF Administrator

Well done, Chuck. Thoughtful message, too.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob1131 View Post
I listened with headphones and it sounds very good! The reverb sounded very slight and was barely noticeable...was it changed after David's comment? Everyone has their own opinion about reverb and how it should be applied. I generally like a low volume with longer release which yields a larger space image so, I think the reverb in this was perfect. Thanks for sharing that here!
Nothing was changed after the video went up. I don;t know how to change anything. I think it just shows that things like reverb are a matter of personal taste, which is one reason I didn't push for even less.

Thanks for the kind comments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
juan estruch, original songs