The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2018, 12:02 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox Artist Question

I'm looking at a used Artist 600 which as dual XLR inputs. How well will this work with me singing into one mic and using the other channel to mic up my non-electrimified Martin HD28V. I do have other acoustic guitars with electrics. Just curious it will work in aforementioned manner.

If so, any tips will be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

it will work well depending on placement and the ever present challenge of feedback from a mic on a guitar used live. I've used my Artist live with a condenser mic to good effect provided the amp is well in front of me and there are few surfaces off of which the signal can bounce back to the mic. That said, I prefer to use my guitars with pickups much more than the set up you suggest. Using a mic would be my preference, I've just had too many hassles doing it live.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:55 PM

Default Fishman Loudbox Artist Question

+1 on leew3's response. Miking a guitar in a studio setting works well but on stage it can be problematic. Mike testing will be very important. Either way you’ll love the Fishman.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer

Last edited by BT55; 02-15-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 AM

Thank for the tips so guys. I went ahead with the purchase, I dont think I was getting talked out of it one way or the other. The price was just too good to pass it up. I'll experiment with the mics.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Hey I thought the triathalon was guitar, mandolin and bass!
Old 02-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Hey I thought the triathalon was guitar, mandolin and bass!
Depends on your point of view and your goals!

Mandolin = Drums.

Both very different from guitar and bass and not easy to learn (despite the zillon jokes about drummers not being musicians)

Drums would be the swim leg of the tri for me. Guitar is the bike leg and Bass is the running leg.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:55 AM

I got it!

All I need now is a preamp for my condesner mic to make this rig work. An SM58 is probably not the best mic to record with. Fishman doesn't do 24v phantom power to mics.

I see this as a good setup to do acoustic sets live and record onto a mac laptop at the same time.

I've got an I-Rig Pre HD connected to my iPhone and the I-Rig is connected to the Fishman amp using the Direct Out connection on the back. So the amp is a poor mans 2 channel mixer.

What is really cool is that at home I can turn down the master volume on the amp, use monitor headphones and play and record quietly.

This amp is an amazing piece of kit. The built in effects are great. I tired a little flange on it and played Shine on You Crazy Diamond. It's was awesome to heard that David Gilmour sound on the those 4 iconic Eadd9 notes. Now all I need is the footswitch.

Last edited by Johnny K; 02-25-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=Johnny K;5651321]I got it!

All I need now is a preamp for my condesner mic to make this rig work. An SM58 is probably not the best mic to record with. Fishman doesn't do 24v phantom power to mics.

Johnny,
Sure they do.

Look very closely at the 3 tiny pushbuttons on the lower right side.......

You're all set.

HE
Old 02-25-2018, 11:54 PM

Google Fishman Loudbox Artist Manual and you can download the Owners Manual. It never hurts to read manuals as you’ll get operating info that will make your life easier [emoji74] !
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-26-2018, 06:36 AM

Yup, last button on the right. Thanks fellas.

You would think I would have noticed it 1" to the right of the Channel Mute button, which I used quite a bit.

I hate getting old. I cant see a thing without reading glasses and my allergy to owners manuals is getting worse.

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-01-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 02-26-2018, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

now just remember to turn down the gain on your condenser mic before you depress the all important phantom power button. Beware of the howl of feedback otherwise. I think you know how I know this!

Enjoy your setup and may it work live as well as you hope. I've never been able to get sufficient gain before feedback on an instrument mic so this remains the holy grail for me. As a multi instrumentalist this would greatly simplify my live rig as I end up with too many cables in the way at present.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification